Should zoos be illegal? (1 Viewer)

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
For as long as we can remember, zoos have been an essential part of global culture. However, just recently, the topic of permanently ending this tradition has arisen amongst many animal lovers alike. Their topic? ;should zoos be shut down? Many believe that displaying animals for human entertainment is inhumane. For example, many people are currently working towards keeping exotic animals out of circuses, due to emotional and physical stress on the animals, and the potential harm it could cause to the trainers. It's no secret that many zoos have been on record for continuously mentally or physically abusing their animals. So what is your stance on this? Do you believe zoos should be shut down?


My Stance:

Personally, I'm a huge fan of zoos. I enjoy seeing the diverse animals that the Earth has packed in it. However, it seems that there is no solution. Would I like them to stay up? Yes. And in all honesty, I believe that if possible, zoos should be kept up. But how? With the way that zoos work, it is nearly impossible to be able to properly monitor the conditions in which the animals are being kept and maintained. So though I am a bit iffy on this topic, if there is no possible solution that could work, I believe zoos should be shut down.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,387
Reactions Received
151,399
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Quite a few zoos I went to have animals who are unable to go back to nature because of injuries and that's why they are there. I think for bald eagles actually they aren't allowed to be kept in captivity unless they are disabled. People tend to ignore these details when talking about how inhumane they all are, when letting them out is certain death.
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Quite a few zoos I went to have animals who are unable to go back to nature because of injuries and that's why they are there. I think for bald eagles actually they aren't allowed to be kept in captivity unless they are disabled. People tend to ignore these details when talking about how inhumane they all are, when letting them out is certain death.
I was actually never educated on this. This is interesting. But then that leaves the question of what to do with the other animals? Unless they manage to find only injured animals, which would be very difficult, and the variety would lessen, thus bringing in less customers.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,387
Reactions Received
151,399
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I was actually never educated on this. This is interesting. But then that leaves the question of what to do with the other animals? Unless they manage to find only injured animals, which would be very difficult, and the variety would lessen, thus bringing in less customers.
It really depends on the animals and places. A decent number of animals would probably be brought in through disabilities, considering how often they get injured as a result of humans and how often they get brought in and stuff. Long story short I dont know lol
 

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I think zoos are fine when the animals are unable to return back to the wild, I think the main issue I have with zoos is when they breed in captivity. It doesn’t help the animals species by just breeding more behind glass for their entire lives in my opinion. I prefer going to sanctuaries over zoos, I feel like they’re a lot more educational.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Arent zoos concidered crucial in rejuvenating endangered species, doing animal research and so on? I think they are considered more of beneficial to animals these days than bad.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I think the "roadside zoos" that are sketchy looking should have laws made against them but the zoos that are providing conservation and proper care of animals shouldn't be closed
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I would say it depends on the zoos. some do mistreat the animals but there are also zoos that do a good job at managing everything. it should defently be viewed case by case.
 
Joined
23 June 2019
Messages
1,759
Reactions Received
10,279
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Arent zoos concidered crucial in rejuvenating endangered species, doing animal research and so on? I think they are considered more of beneficial to animals these days than bad.
I was wondering if someone would have pointed this out and low and behold. For example we would NOT have the California Condor anymore if it wasn't for te San Deigo zoo. Wolves have benifited from zoo help and came back from a troubled status.



I think more and more zoos have turned into this look at this strange animal and more into preservation centers. Also as someone pointed out a place for disabled animals to go. Some zoos even take retired or surrendered private undomesticated animals. While yes, some zoos need to be shut down for cruelty, it think most zoos today try.

With how humans are continuing ot be so destructive think how many species that could use help in the future

Sadly not every animal can be saved. Rinos and big cats continue to die in the wild faster then breeding programs can re-introduce animals.

Edit: As f-ed up as seaworld is they have played a big role in saving wildlife and rehabilitating many. Still won't go to Seaworld because of what they do to whales, and I think that should stop, but they are a place that aids in the care of wildlife.
 
Last edited:
Joined
18 August 2019
Messages
1,773
Reactions Received
3,304
Location
In the SHINee World
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
2,895
Fandom
Multistan
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
They/them preferred
My local zoo has worked since 1991 breeding Black Footed Ferrets to release back into the wild and has worked with quite a few other species as well. Most AZA accredited zoos are good ones and are the reason some species still exist at all. As much as we'd like animals to be free, given the state things are now it'd just be death for a lot of them. When you study zoology you learn things aren't exactly black and white in the captivity debate, especially for cetaceans, great apes, and elephants, but zoos are still incredibly important in conservation.

There are a decent amount still that just shouldn't exist though and are literally just animal exploitation, the cub petting ones for example. Those boil my blood
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Yes please I hate animals
 
  • Sad
Reactions: Ringwanderung

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread