I'm just a teenage girl who can't publish an article that goes viral on Twitter, but really wanted to give my opinions before we enter the turn of a new decade.
I say "some of" rather than just the best because I know I haven't listened to nearly enough K-Pop songs to definitively say which ones are the best of the best. I just think these are up there, and will be including my reasons, hopefully to keep this interesting even if you disagree.
SWEET & EASY - WONDER GIRLS (2016)
Unfortunately, this was released when the Wonder Girls as a group were past their heyday. It's a shame, because this is pop gold. Perfectly seductive without being overt, and the low-key beat is so fancy it always makes me think of some luxury hotel.
RUM PUM PUM PUM - F(X) (2013)
A few so-called critics have called this song boring, but I think the tension it builds throughout the song is exquisite. Singles don't need to be loud to be explosive. I don't get tired of listening to this. (Rest In Peace, Choi Jinri.)
HOT ISSUE - 4MINUTE (2010)
The sheer early K-Pop-ness of this song, plus the kitschy video, usually distract people from appreciating the strong vocals and production. The latter in particular is great because it really crafts this atmosphere of urgency, but the eponymous "hot issue" is actually just how awesome the narrator is. Ballsy female empowerment songs are always great.
LIKE OOH-AHH - TWICE (2015)
It's always exciting seeing any artist refine and improve their style over time. The TWICE discography started off with something that's already so strong, however. I don't even need to see the music video to get the sense that a story is being told. The song itself, with its movie score-esque instrumentals and smooth genre-rouletting, does a magical job of letting you know this is a storybook being unfolded.
UP&DOWN - EXID (2014)
Unashamedly sexy, unashamedly weird... it took the general public some time to notice, but this brash bit of brass-pop screamed that EXID was something else to the rooftops. In my opinion, the K-Pop equivalent of "Worth It" by Fifth Harmony... albeit musically better in pretty much every way. (I love Normani, though, but that's for another post.)
FAVORITE - LOONA (2018)
Another brassy masterpiece. The beat is bizarre and incredible; the girls' singing is all fantastic (not even as a Jinsoul stan, which I am, but Jinsoul's belting beginning at 2:49 is just pure musical excellence). Never has a lyrically tender love song sounded so hard-hitting.
BAD BOY (ENGLISH VERSION) - RED VELVET (2018)
Mainstream pop music occasionally flirts with turning the "cold-hearted playboy" trope on its head, but none so far have committed to the idea of a cold-hearted woman toying with hapless men quite as much as this one. The heroine of the Korean version describes herself as cold and engages in some cat-and-mouse with the titular bad boy; the English version, however, makes the narrator a fully fledged Bad Girl. If he plays, she shows him who's in control. ART. (Bonus: the impeccably textured instrumentals and amazing vocal work, particularly from Seulgi. Wendy is ever-reliable, but Seulgi really shines in this track.)
These are my opinions. I hope you liked reading them.
I say "some of" rather than just the best because I know I haven't listened to nearly enough K-Pop songs to definitively say which ones are the best of the best. I just think these are up there, and will be including my reasons, hopefully to keep this interesting even if you disagree.
SWEET & EASY - WONDER GIRLS (2016)
Unfortunately, this was released when the Wonder Girls as a group were past their heyday. It's a shame, because this is pop gold. Perfectly seductive without being overt, and the low-key beat is so fancy it always makes me think of some luxury hotel.
RUM PUM PUM PUM - F(X) (2013)
A few so-called critics have called this song boring, but I think the tension it builds throughout the song is exquisite. Singles don't need to be loud to be explosive. I don't get tired of listening to this. (Rest In Peace, Choi Jinri.)
HOT ISSUE - 4MINUTE (2010)
The sheer early K-Pop-ness of this song, plus the kitschy video, usually distract people from appreciating the strong vocals and production. The latter in particular is great because it really crafts this atmosphere of urgency, but the eponymous "hot issue" is actually just how awesome the narrator is. Ballsy female empowerment songs are always great.
LIKE OOH-AHH - TWICE (2015)
It's always exciting seeing any artist refine and improve their style over time. The TWICE discography started off with something that's already so strong, however. I don't even need to see the music video to get the sense that a story is being told. The song itself, with its movie score-esque instrumentals and smooth genre-rouletting, does a magical job of letting you know this is a storybook being unfolded.
UP&DOWN - EXID (2014)
Unashamedly sexy, unashamedly weird... it took the general public some time to notice, but this brash bit of brass-pop screamed that EXID was something else to the rooftops. In my opinion, the K-Pop equivalent of "Worth It" by Fifth Harmony... albeit musically better in pretty much every way. (I love Normani, though, but that's for another post.)
FAVORITE - LOONA (2018)
Another brassy masterpiece. The beat is bizarre and incredible; the girls' singing is all fantastic (not even as a Jinsoul stan, which I am, but Jinsoul's belting beginning at 2:49 is just pure musical excellence). Never has a lyrically tender love song sounded so hard-hitting.
BAD BOY (ENGLISH VERSION) - RED VELVET (2018)
Mainstream pop music occasionally flirts with turning the "cold-hearted playboy" trope on its head, but none so far have committed to the idea of a cold-hearted woman toying with hapless men quite as much as this one. The heroine of the Korean version describes herself as cold and engages in some cat-and-mouse with the titular bad boy; the English version, however, makes the narrator a fully fledged Bad Girl. If he plays, she shows him who's in control. ART. (Bonus: the impeccably textured instrumentals and amazing vocal work, particularly from Seulgi. Wendy is ever-reliable, but Seulgi really shines in this track.)
These are my opinions. I hope you liked reading them.