News Steam/Valve announces 'Steam Deck' - competition to the Nintendo Switch (1 Viewer)

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Website Link




Of course this won't run any Nintendo Games but pretty much every other PC Game that's on the steam store I suppose?

Just tagging a few people that commented on other gaming related threads on here
@Yili @blueberries @OnlyCalB @karina @Ariadne @heartstopper @Abeamus @lexus @Mangoey @EvenOfDae @honeyfornomoney @Juniverse @Handcrafted @Panda @Tickita @raymondchouku


Also seems like they are trying to work against scalpers
"Why is my account not able to place a reservation until Sunday? - We are aware of potential unauthorized resellers, and as an additional safeguard to ensure a fair ordering process, we’ve added a requirement that the reserver has made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021 for the first 48 hours of reservation availability."


"2 to 8 hours, charges via USB so you can feed it off power banks as well
No porting is HUGE by the way - if all games on steam work on the deck it's gonna have a killer and cheap game library from the get go
E: It gets better, it's fully open, it's a pc computer with a controller built in. You can install windows on this which opens up all games, without a need for porting, with no performance losses due to linux/proton"​
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
It sounds like a good idea but I am unsure of the design as it's going to weigh nearly twice as much as the Switch and just going off the looks it seems like it could feel awkward to hold in your hands with how high the actual controls are
 

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
It sounds like a good idea but I am unsure of the design as it's going to weigh nearly twice as much as the Switch and just going off the looks it seems like it could feel awkward to hold in your hands with how high the actual controls are
yeah it looks relatively heavy and big, i guess it depends on the person if they are comfortable holding it or not
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and OnlyCalB

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
.
.
Joined
24 November 2018
Messages
52,131
Reactions Received
94,782
Location
Dreamworld
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
132,191
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
That's actually pretty cool. I don't personally have a use for it though as if I'm gaming I'm playing on PC anyway (or console).

The only practical use I'd get out of this device is if I'm travelling for many hours (which I don't) or I'm on holiday (I don't go on holidays).
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Myco

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
That's actually pretty cool. I don't personally have a use for it though as if I'm gaming I'm playing on PC anyway (or console).

The only practical use I'd get out of this device is if I'm travelling for many hours (which I don't) or I'm on holiday (I don't go on holidays).
but imagine you could turn off your pc and just continue playing from the last save in bed on this console :wonugl:
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: yeji and OnlyCalB

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
.
.
Joined
24 November 2018
Messages
52,131
Reactions Received
94,782
Location
Dreamworld
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
132,191
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
but imagine you could turn off your pc and just continue playing from the last save in bed on this console :wonugl:
True. But you aren't supposed to be playing games 1 hour before bed!
:pikagun:

Although I do it most nights.
:pandatea: :lisalaugh:
 

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
.
.
Joined
24 November 2018
Messages
52,131
Reactions Received
94,782
Location
Dreamworld
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
132,191
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: yeji and Myco

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't think it can meet PC's performance though so i'm wondering how it will be able to play all these games :dubuthink: like there is reason why mobile console games are less intense on graphics
 

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
I don't think it can meet PC's performance though so i'm wondering how it will be able to play all these games :dubuthink: like there is reason why mobile console games are less intense on graphics
In the video they say they can play current popular titles on medium to high graphics with no fps issues and such :susPepe:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
In the video they say they can play current popular titles on medium to high graphics with no fps issues and such :susPepe:
so it can play cyberpunk that was unplayable on ps4 :susPepe: i'm not completely buying it
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Myco

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
so it can play cyberpunk that was unplayable on ps4 :susPepe: i'm not completely buying it
It is a a portable PC, or at least that's what they are planing to market it as, so I'm sure it packs a lot more power than an old PS4, just like any PC does tbh. Sure we might have to wait for actual after release footage of how strong it is, but I'm sure it can run Cyberpunk 2077 with medium-high graphics smoothly, especially after all the patches, also you can apparently delete the SteamOS and install Windows, which helps with Direct X11/12 as well I suppose.
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
idk man, i wouldn't get it but i also have a gaming pc so it's whatever to me
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Myco

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Seems like a pretty cool console but I don't know if I'd personally buy it. What if the games don't perform as well as they would on gaming pc's? :dubuthink:
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Myco

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
sounds cool as an idea. I personally am not a gamer tho so wouldn’t buy it
 
  • Like
Reactions: Myco

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread