Study finds that atheists are more intelligent then religious people (1 Viewer)

Joined
11 April 2019
Messages
462
Reactions Received
1,393
Location
SUNMI IS COMING
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
With the number of people with a religious belief on the rise – it’s predicted that people with no faith will make up only 13 per cent of the global population by 2050 – numerous studies have explored the relationship between religious convictions and IQ.

And now, in a new paper published in Frontiers in Psychology, researchers say that diminished intelligence among people of faith could be because they largely rely on intuition.

Surveying more than 63,000 participants online who indicated whether they were atheists, religious or agnostic, each person had to complete a 30-minute set of 12 cognitive tasks that measured planning, reasoning, attention and memory.

Overall, the research found that atheists performed better overall than the religious participants even when demographic factors like age and education were taken into consideration. Agnostics mostly placed between atheists and believers on all tasks.
source

What do you think KPS?

For me, compared to my past religious self, I am much more "intelligent" now as an agnostic then before. I was taught not to question my faith which made me very ignorant to a lot of things. :welp:
 
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
625
Reactions Received
2,203
Location
intergalactic space
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Some religious people are also narrow minded, they believe what a book tells them and most of the things written there are rubbish. If that doesn't make them less intelligent, I don't know what else does. I won't have a book tell me how to live my life. I'm old enough to know right from wrong and that's enough for me.
 
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
that means i'm intelligent *^*
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
I read the report and they tested based on intuition and logic. They found that religious people only scored lower on questions where intuition and logic conflicted and that was why they had the lower IQ results. Which is interesting. I'm super curious about the questions that were asked. But that test doesn't say anything about the general intelligence of the two groups. The results were very skewed and there was no correlation between intelligence and atheism. It was an interesting read though. I would be interested in seeing a more reliable test conducted in this area with a larger population size and with all confounding variables eliminated. But then again, I don't think there would ever be a definite correlation between something like intelligence and religion. They're just too independent of each other and intelligence depends on so many different factors.

Basically, click bait title which is disappointing because science doesn't need click bait to gain attention. It's already interesting enough. Lol look at my science nerdy side popping out.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Maybe in certain parts of the west, but i'm not sure that's true for other parts of the world.
Yeah, I was wondering if that could be it. I live in the US and I think its on the decline for us.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka
Joined
13 March 2019
Messages
4,283
Reactions Received
11,073
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Some religious people are also narrow minded, they believe what a book tells them and most of the things written there are rubbish. If that doesn't make them less intelligent, I don't know what else does. I won't have a book tell me how to live my life. I'm old enough to know right from wrong and that's enough for me.
some people lie, steal, talk shit of others, have no morals and think just by praying they will go to heaven like wtf :taeminface:
 
  • Love
Reactions: cosmicyuno

jasque

Antifragile
.
.
Joined
29 August 2018
Messages
11,564
Reactions Received
42,959
Location
Brasil
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,971
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Gender
Male
Religion has some function imo.

People could do well with belief in their potentials alone but religion makes it more reachable for most, so no big deal.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread