News Sulli Repeatedly Asked SM to Take Legal Action (1 Viewer)

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
I mean, it's nice to hear that there are some that these people can actually be punished somehow. I haven't looked into the issue much from a legal standpoint, so I wouldn't know. I don't know how publicly companies are allowed to disclose individual charges either. I'm just still worried about how far these messages have to go before the officials are actually able to do anything, because I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the threshold was set way too high. For instance where I live, I've noticed that people can go insanely far before it's a legal issue.

Also an excuse for what? For SM not taking legal action or? Not an excuse for anything really, I was only curious and wondering whether suing someone over online harassment in Korea can actually lead to something that yields results, since you can't shake off the worst ones just by blocking or threatening them or by making them pay a fine.

But at the end of the day internet harassment is a quite complex issue with quite a few variables that extends far beyond SM. Work definitely needs to be done, also outside of Korea.
I didn't mean you, sorry
I meant SM's unique reasoning for not prosecuting antis (foreign ip addresses), which I was I thought you were referring too.

Korea's defamation and harassment laws are definitely strange and freedom of speech is a bit complicated there. Things don't even have to untrue for folks to be looking at a defamation lawsuit.
The fact that celebrities can even take action against hate commenters was initially shocking to me because I've never seen that done where I live
 
Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
I didn't mean you, sorry
I meant SM's unique reasoning for not prosecuting antis (foreign ip addresses), which I was I thought you were referring too.

Korea's defamation and harassment laws are definitely strange and freedom of speech is a bit complicated there. Things don't even have to untrue for folks to be looking at a defamation lawsuit.
The fact that celebrities can even take action against hate commenters was initially shocking to me because I've never seen that done where I live
Ah, ok!

I sincerely hope that the situation gets better, no one should have to face even a tiny bit of the backlash Sulli and others have had. Internet is such a bad place for enabling these people and making it so hard to take precautions. :/
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,662
Reactions Received
93,475
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,317
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Crimes have to reported for the police to act on it and I can't see any idol reporting it if the company tells them not to
SM is never going to sue or prosecute fans regardless of how far that they go

SJ getting run off the road by antis
TVXQ getting poisoned
Someone dragging Taeyeon off stage
Someone stalking out Soshi's dorms and almost assaulting Jessica
Taeyeon getting dragged off stage
EXO nearly getting snatched up and kidnapped by antis
Several instances of not providing enough airport security and artists getting mobbed
EXO and Red Velvet constantly being called and harassed by saesaengs to their point where they are always changing their number
Saesaengs breaking into dorms and apartments

The craziest saesaengs are always from SM fandoms because they have always refused to do anything about it
In many case they were reported that is how we know of them, but you are right no one has gone to jail that i know of. For any artist anywhere, let alone sm.

The Taeyeon guy was nuts or mentally challenged in some way i do know that. that was an epic/catastrophic site security failure that lotte took the fall for.
Yeri's guy was like 14 and the whole minor deal protected him.

I find it funny that you say sm does nothing yet they are the ones with staff getting in trouble for being too physical in protecting the artist. then not physical enough when in the airports ect.
I think the companies and the artist are very often in a no win situation. How to fix that is what we both want.

I have no idea why the tvxq girl was not prosecuted he was assaulted. Maybe refused to press charges? But at hospitalization auto reporting goes on to my knowledge. Now i am hard core were that me i would vote to cap her on the spot, hard for them to try that again if they are no more.

Jessica's deal .. wasnt that reported on strong heart? Maybe pre camera or that dorm had poor coverage. that was on a personal night out kinda a reach to blame the company for that other than an apartment building with out security guards/door men if those exist in Korea.

Btw have you tried to get the cops to do anything about B and E? I have they do. not. care. House was broken into and ~ 10k worth stolen they sent me a form in the mail.

I have said in other threads that merciless examples should be made to the point of destroying the kids lives who they catch, but I am sure no company wants to do that from a pr standpoint given how feckless fans/people are.

Lets say they dox ( at the least )that 14 year old or any of the minors (if its even legal in Korea which i do not think it is in the US) maybe if they charge them as an adult but not sure they do that there and that would get all the crack pot orgs like AI involved.
 
Last edited:
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,662
Reactions Received
93,475
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,317
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I didn't mean you, sorry
I meant SM's unique reasoning for not prosecuting antis (foreign ip addresses), which I was I thought you were referring too.

Korea's defamation and harassment laws are definitely strange and freedom of speech is a bit complicated there. Things don't even have to untrue for folks to be looking at a defamation lawsuit.
The fact that celebrities can even take action against hate commenters was initially shocking to me because I've never seen that done where I live
the apink bomb threat guy got off for just that reason. He is in canada.

We have seen with all the Korean law cases just how hard it is to get meaningful punishment out of the court system.
Heck not just Korea. guy beat his gf to death with a hammer in the us, hid her in his walls until later residents found her. got 12 years.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
the apink bomb threat guy got off for just that reason. He is in canada.
That is one instance
One.
I find it hard to believe that it's that big of an issue for SM and SM only that they can't take any action for any of their artists
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and RandAlThor
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,662
Reactions Received
93,475
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,317
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
That is one instance
One.
I find it hard to believe that it's that big of an issue for SM and SM only that they can't take any action for any of their artists
if they are out of country governments are going to have to get involved.... I assume the companies are all a bit Leary asking for government help in the current climate in Korea. If anything can even be done.

The apink guy is known whomever the agency is wanted to prosecute him as did the government because of an insane amount of resources wasted for 30+ bomb threats, but they cant.

I Think is just crazy hard, maybe some international cyber protection laws with mutuality enforced agreements need to be tried?

or the companies could hire hitters to go after them but that also has huge downside :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread