News The world is raging at J.K. Rowling, because of a tweet (3 Viewers)

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
this is such a problematic view.
people are all different and trans are trans for a good reason. they have it already very difficult in general and people just still feel the need to tweet something like that. that just proves yet again that people are way too afraid of concepts foreign to them which is a sad way of living.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Oh hey I forgot she’s still alive
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship

Venomous

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
2,811
Reactions Received
6,362
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
11,396
Fandom
Weneebebe
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
Any
I'm just against people losing their jobs over social media. :susPepe:
The woman Rowling is defending did NOT lose her job over social media, her contract expired and was not renewed.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,394
Reactions Received
151,405
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I'm just against people losing their jobs over social media. :susPepe:
Tbh even if that was true I wouldn't mind people losing their jobs over stuff like that. So many people already think they can say whatever they want because "it's just twitter/instagram/whatever" as though it's not going to affect the hundreds of people that see it. If someone made a public speech saying the same thing they'd get the same response so I don't see how the fact that its I'm a different platform matters.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Tbh even if that was true I wouldn't mind people losing their jobs over stuff like that. So many people already think they can say whatever they want because "it's just twitter/instagram/whatever" as though it's not going to affect the hundreds of people that see it. If someone made a public speech saying the same thing they'd get the same response so I don't see how the fact that its I'm a different platform matters.
I would. Personal life including ur opinions doesn't have anything to do with ur job and performance within job. It makes no sense for your workplace to care what u tweet about or what kind of public speeches you do as long as you aren't doing those as their employee.

I'm all for disagreeing with someone, pointing out how they were being stupid or asshole. But people losing their jobs, that's sth I will never agree on.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,394
Reactions Received
151,405
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I would. Personal life including ur opinions doesn't have anything to do with ur job and performance within job. It makes no sense for your workplace to care what u tweet about or what kind of public speeches you do as long as you aren't doing those as their employee.

I'm all for disagreeing with someone, pointing out how they were being stupid or asshole. But people losing their jobs, that's sth I will never agree on.
Oh I get what you mean now, I misunderstood before. In that case I agree for the most part, unless in some way it does relate to your job, which is rare obviously.
 
Joined
15 August 2019
Messages
246
Reactions Received
866
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I'm so confused on whats happening here
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
I would. Personal life including ur opinions doesn't have anything to do with ur job and performance within job. It makes no sense for your workplace to care what u tweet about or what kind of public speeches you do as long as you aren't doing those as their employee.

I'm all for disagreeing with someone, pointing out how they were being stupid or asshole. But people losing their jobs, that's sth I will never agree on.
I agree.. Even if this person wasn't fired and her contract "expired", its not really the point as similar incidents have happened where individuals were fired for things they said that related to gender, sex, sexuality, politics, and so on.. If I [as a gay man] had a co-worker who espoused views [online or outside of work], such as being against gay marriage, gay adoption, and so on I would still not want them fired for two reasons: (1) Them saying such things would affect me for a few minutes prior to it leaving my mind. And it has nothing to do with their job unless they are working for GLAAD, which wouldn't really make sense.. lol(2) By having them fired it is not only harming their ability to gain further employment, but also to the children and wife/husband they are supporting..
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I would. Personal life including ur opinions doesn't have anything to do with ur job and performance within job. It makes no sense for your workplace to care what u tweet about or what kind of public speeches you do as long as you aren't doing those as their employee.

I'm all for disagreeing with someone, pointing out how they were being stupid or asshole. But people losing their jobs, that's sth I will never agree on.
In principle I agree. But most workplaces these days make you sign all this stuff where you agree you won't do anything that can put your employers in a bad light, and that includes saying stuff on social media.
Even where I work, we have to undergo these online trainings once every 6 months which covers all of this, alongside other stuff like code of conduct, ethics, sexual harassment policy etc. So I can see why organizations cut ties with employees over stuff like this.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I agree.. Even if this person wasn't fired and her contract "expired", its not really the point as similar incidents have happened where individuals were fired for things they said that related to gender, sex, sexuality, politics, and so on.. If I [as a gay man] had a co-worker who espoused views [online or outside of work], such as being against gay marriage, gay adoption, and so on I would still not want them fired for two reasons: (1) Them saying such things would affect me for a few minutes prior to it leaving my mind. And it has nothing to do with their job unless they are working for GLAAD, which wouldn't really make sense.. lol(2) By having them fired it is not only harming their ability to gain further employment, but also to the children and wife/husband they are supporting..
That's rly my views on it as well. It would be different if person was threatening others i guess, but i think that would be hate crime nevertheless and they would get punished for it by law. But opinions are just opinions, they can be shitty, but people should have freedom to say them (as people have freedom to correct them or say they are asshole for them) and not lose jobs that have nothing to do with it. Getting job is difficult af, at least where I am from, and u don't know how many lives someone job is supporting.

In principle I agree. But most workplaces these days make you sign all this stuff where you agree you won't do anything that can put your employers in a bad light, and that includes saying stuff on social media.
Even where I work, we have to undergo these online trainings once every 6 months which covers all of this, alongside other stuff like code of conduct, ethics, sexual harassment policy etc. So I can see why organizations cut ties with employees over stuff like this.
That's not common here. At least I haven't even heard of that before. Thank god it isn't. But I'm rly glad that I only use social medias with usernames, not my actual name and face. I initially did it for privacy and security reasons, but with cancel culture and people digging old tweets (apparently Camila Cabello is now cancelled over tumblr reblogs she did while she was 15), I don't rly want my name associated with anything I do online.

I don't think u can put ur employee into bad light unless you do sth during ur job that hurts them. No matter what you say, one burger flipper in McDonalds or what not, does not reflect McDonalds as company. Unless you commit crime that would interfere with ur job like police committing serious crime during their free time.

--

I just rly hate cancel culture if someone can tell :jisoosmh:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread