- Joined
- 22 November 2018
- Messages
- 7,026
- Reactions Received
- 27,656
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 0
- Fandom
- EXO-L & My
- Gender
- Female
- Ship
Honestly, Australia is a hard one since we're pretty multi-cultural. Not to mention, I don't think we even have any traditional dishes (like dinner meals) that belong to us. So I'm just going to do Australian food traditions and everyone else can just post Traditional foods from your country. That probably doesn't make much sense but anywho. I should just do Turkey but I'm a lazy bum and there's a lot from Turkey lol. But they have the best food so go google some Turkish food people.
Not in order of importance:
LAMINGTONS
Starting off sweet, lamingtons are considered Australia's national cakes. It's basically an Australian sponge cake that is coated in chocolate sauce and shredded coconut. They're usually in small bite-size pieces and you can find some filled with jam and/or cream as well.
BBQ SNAGS
Or basically just BBQ sausages. If you ever come to Australia, it wouldn't take you long to figure out that Aussies love their BBQs. Some have one every week and some others at least 2 times a month. But for the average Australian family, almost any family event involves a BBQ. And sausages seem to be the favorite among Aussies. So popular and loved that almost every public event ends is a "sausage sizzle" which is basically just BBQ sausages in some white bread. Some schools even have a sausage sizzle event every Friday lunch.
MEAT PIES
You're not a true Aussie if you have never had a meat pie before. A traditional Australian pie should be hand-sized, filled with mincemeat and gravy and topped with tomato sauce. The most popular food item at any school canteen or any sports event and even at most bakeries is always the meat pie. We even have meat pie competitions...
VEGEMITE
If you haven't ever tried it out, then honestly you're not missing out on anything. It's an Australian yeast extract spread and it has a pretty bitter taste. But somehow it's a sandwich favorite and it continues to sell well. I wonder if that's because people actually like it or if this is a case of patriotism.
And I can't leave with mentioning the best chocolate bar that isn't sold anywhere but here:
CHERRY RIPE!
yum yum yum yum yummmmmm
If there's any Aussie out here, correct me if I'm wrong about us not having any traditional dishes. I just have never come across a real Australian dish before. Probably because we're so multicultural too so we adopt dishes from all over the world rather than creating our own? I don't know. Apparently Chicken Parmigiana is considered an Aussie dish but I'm not sure if that's because we created it or if it's because it's just super popular here. Apparently Pavlova is an Australian creation too but that's apparently controversial because NZ also claims it as their's lol.
Not in order of importance:
LAMINGTONS
Starting off sweet, lamingtons are considered Australia's national cakes. It's basically an Australian sponge cake that is coated in chocolate sauce and shredded coconut. They're usually in small bite-size pieces and you can find some filled with jam and/or cream as well.
BBQ SNAGS
Or basically just BBQ sausages. If you ever come to Australia, it wouldn't take you long to figure out that Aussies love their BBQs. Some have one every week and some others at least 2 times a month. But for the average Australian family, almost any family event involves a BBQ. And sausages seem to be the favorite among Aussies. So popular and loved that almost every public event ends is a "sausage sizzle" which is basically just BBQ sausages in some white bread. Some schools even have a sausage sizzle event every Friday lunch.
MEAT PIES
You're not a true Aussie if you have never had a meat pie before. A traditional Australian pie should be hand-sized, filled with mincemeat and gravy and topped with tomato sauce. The most popular food item at any school canteen or any sports event and even at most bakeries is always the meat pie. We even have meat pie competitions...
VEGEMITE
If you haven't ever tried it out, then honestly you're not missing out on anything. It's an Australian yeast extract spread and it has a pretty bitter taste. But somehow it's a sandwich favorite and it continues to sell well. I wonder if that's because people actually like it or if this is a case of patriotism.
And I can't leave with mentioning the best chocolate bar that isn't sold anywhere but here:
CHERRY RIPE!
yum yum yum yum yummmmmm
If there's any Aussie out here, correct me if I'm wrong about us not having any traditional dishes. I just have never come across a real Australian dish before. Probably because we're so multicultural too so we adopt dishes from all over the world rather than creating our own? I don't know. Apparently Chicken Parmigiana is considered an Aussie dish but I'm not sure if that's because we created it or if it's because it's just super popular here. Apparently Pavlova is an Australian creation too but that's apparently controversial because NZ also claims it as their's lol.