TWICE and GFriend Have Been Requesting For A Concept Change... (1 Viewer)

Change or Nah?


  • Total voters
    8

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Do you think their respective companies should give it to them? The argument here is that both groups have a big fandom backing them so even if they don't chart as well, their album sales will still be intact, which is where the money comes from. Or do you think it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with how their "top GG" image will sink. Not to mention brand rep.

I think both groups are established and already have their "national hits". You can't take away their achievements from them. Furthermore, they both have sold out tours, with GFriend launching their Asian tour in a few months as well. I think it's fine to let the girls have an actual big change in concept.

What do you think?​
 

Sourcekeeper

Tech Support
.
.
.
Joined
25 August 2018
Messages
6,830
Reactions Received
28,465
Location
YG Entertainment
Website
kpopsource.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
26,616
Fandom
MONSTIEZ
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She / Her / Hers
Do you think their respective companies should give it to them? The argument here is that both groups have a big fandom backing them so even if they don't chart as well, their album sales will still be intact, which is where the money comes from. Or do you think it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with how their "top GG" image will sink. Not to mention brand rep.

I think both groups are established and already have their "national hits". You can't take away their achievements from them. Furthermore, they both have sold out tours, with GFriend launching their Asian tour in a few months as well. I think it's fine to let the girls have an actual big change in concept.

What do you think?​
I feel like they are popular cause of their current concepts, if they changed suddenly it might get some backlash, at this point they should stay the same, but yeah i get it, they are getting older so a concept change is in order. Maybe do a slow transition over the following years will be perfect.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bara and Darkyoda47

Marianthi

#1 2PM Stan
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
1,170
Reactions Received
4,498
Location
Greece
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Well we saw what happened with Fingertip tbh (the song is such a huge bop). I really hope they'll both manage to keep their huge success with a different concept. Atm I only see Twice succeeding but still not very sure of that
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
1,041
Reactions Received
4,458
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I would love different concepts from both of those groups, as I'm not really into their current sounds at all and they both have the talent and/or experience to pull off different styles. That said, it could be a weird time for a major change with next gen or close-to-next gen groups debuting this year, even from their own companies (in the case of Twice), and some of last year's new groups continuing to build momentum. If I've learned anything from my year following kpop, it's that gg fans are not particularly excited about concept changes, and while their position among the top groups has been secure up until now, fans disgruntled over a new style might see new and recently debuted groups as a viable alternative. I think it could work if they transitioned over a number of comebacks rather than just dropping something completely different all of a sudden, and people have even speculated that this approach was behind some of the styling choices for Twice's BDZ and Yes or Yes, but the sound has yet to follow suit.

TLDR - Baby steps are necessary, fans react harshly to concept changes and there are more potential 'replacements' for fans to switch to now
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I feel like they are popular cause of their current concepts, if they changed suddenly it might get some backlash, at this point they should stay the same, but yeah i get it, they are getting older so a concept change is in order. Maybe do a slow transition over the following years will be perfect.
Yeah I see your point. A slow transition would be best because we saw what happened when GFriend suddenly went from Innocnet to Girl Crush with Fingertip.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Well we saw what happened with Fingertip tbh (the song is such a huge bop). I really hope they'll both manage to keep their huge success with a different concept. Atm I only see Twice succeeding but still not very sure of that
Yeah I see TWICE surviving a concept change well. I don't see why JYP haven't tried it yet. I can't see them wanting to play it safe forever. Since TWICE are approaching their 5th year, I hope he will let them promote another concept, especially since the girls really want it too.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I would love different concepts from both of those groups, as I'm not really into their current sounds at all and they both have the talent and/or experience to pull off different styles. That said, it could be a weird time for a major change with next gen or close-to-next gen groups debuting this year, even from their own companies (in the case of Twice), and some of last year's new groups continuing to build momentum. If I've learned anything from my year following kpop, it's that gg fans are not particularly excited about concept changes, and while their position among the top groups has been secure up until now, fans disgruntled over a new style might see new and recently debuted groups as a viable alternative. I think it could work if they transitioned over a number of comebacks rather than just dropping something completely different all of a sudden, and people have even speculated that this approach was behind some of the styling choices for Twice's BDZ and Yes or Yes, but the sound has yet to follow suit.

TLDR - Baby steps are necessary, fans react harshly to concept changes and there are more potential 'replacements' for fans to switch to now
Yeah a gradual change would be nice, however I don't want it to take as long as say Apink because the market is so fickle now that I don't know if 3rd gen groups will even last as long as Apink has.
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
1,041
Reactions Received
4,458
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Yeah a gradual change would be nice, however I don't want it to take as long as say Apink because the market is so fickle now that I don't know if 3rd gen groups will even last as long as Apink has.
Yeah definitely not, more like over a year's worth of comebacks at most.

It would be interesting especially for Twice because Itzy seems to be positioning itself between the two most popular concepts, so it might be hard for Twice to take up a different but popular sound without the groups stepping on each others' toes a bit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bara and Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Yeah definitely not, more like over a year's worth of comebacks at most.

It would be interesting especially for Twice because Itzy seems to be positioning itself between the two most popular concepts, so it might be hard for Twice to take up a different but popular sound without the groups stepping on each others' toes a bit.
Oh yeah, true. I don't think JYP will give TWICE girl crush anytime soon. Maybe something similar to Miss A's Hush could be a good route? Sexy but not too sexy lol.
 

perhapz

ab imo pectore
.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
6,070
Reactions Received
31,387
Location
🏰 & 🍀
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I'd like to see Twice maybe trying a more mature concept, maybe.
As for GFriend, I like the concept they have right now and I don't know many groups that have the same style, so I think they should hold with it a little more before trying something different, but maybe in the future.

So it's a Yes and Yes Nah for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bara and Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I'd like to see Twice maybe trying a more mature concept, maybe.
As for GFriend, I like the concept they have right now and I don't know many groups that have the same style, so I think they should hold with it a little more before trying something different, but maybe in the future.

So it's a Yes and Yes Nah for me.
I see what you did there :pepelook:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bara and perhapz

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread