What is your opinion on modern art? (1 Viewer)

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
A lot of people have mixed opinions on modern art as most of it seems to be very minimalistic. Others say that it's the meaning behind it. I personally don't like it that much. I feel like a lot of these pieces are done without any symbolic meaning and even if they were, it's kind of hard to tell. These pieces are sold for millions of dollars and require little to no effort or skill. It's all just very pretentious to me. :reallysadcat:

1612580230879.png

1612580249461.png

1612580261954.png
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,363
Reactions Received
27,574
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,986
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
modern or contemporary? I like it, the self-aware pretentiousness of it all is cool, and I like the exploration of what constitutes of art—it’s easily one of the hardest concepts to define and I like how a lot of artists are are abusing the lack of a solid definition to their advantage
It really does make you think
 
  • Love
Reactions: Mayday

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
modern or contemporary? I like it, the self-aware pretentiousness of it all is cool, and I like the exploration of what constitutes of art—it’s easily one of the hardest concepts to define and I like how a lot of artists are are abusing the lack of a solid definition to their advantage
It really does make you think
That was my fault. I meant both.

It's interesting you think that way. I guess I do see where you're coming from; it really does depend on the person and how they view what art is. It definitely can be symbolic, it just frustrates me that they require such little effort with such massive gain. :jisoosmh:
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,363
Reactions Received
27,574
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,986
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
That was my fault. I meant both.

It's interesting you think that way. I guess I do see where you're coming from; it really does depend on the person and how they view what art is. It definitely can be symbolic, it just frustrates me that they require such little effort with such massive gain. :jisoosmh:
yeah, I am of the opinion that the prices for art pieces are way too overpriced and are a way for the rich to hold onto their wealth without paying too much taxes for it, but I do enjoy the thought process behind some of the most seemingly mundane pieces
like lee ufan’s relatum series for example, or even the entirety of the mono-ha movement: while it does seem really plain and unoriginal at first glance, I vibe a lot with its messaging of the juxtaposition between what is man made and what is natural
 
  • Love
Reactions: Mayday

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
yeah, I am of the opinion that the prices for art pieces are way too overpriced and are a way for the rich to hold onto their wealth without paying too much taxes for it, but I do enjoy the thought process behind some of the most seemingly mundane pieces
like lee ufan’s relatum series for example, or even the entirety of the mono-ha movement: while it does seem really plain and unoriginal at first glance, I vibe a lot with its messaging of the juxtaposition between what is man made and what is natural
The thought process is there for sure. I'll admit that a lot of these pieces are very meaningful, but it's so easy just to put a bunch of paint on a canvas without any thought and then claim it has meaning when it doesn't, which is abusing the system. Then again, art is all subjective, and some people like art that's open to interpretation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,363
Reactions Received
27,574
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,986
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
The thought process is there for sure. I'll admit that a lot of these pieces are very meaningful, but it's so easy just to put a bunch of paint on a canvas without any thought and then claim it has meaning when it doesn't, which is abusing the system. Then again, art is all subjective, and some people like art that's open to interpretation.
there are some minimalist and geometric minimalism pieces I do like, but I agree with you for the most part when talking about different forms of minimalism
I honestly do find most other modern and contemporary movements to be more relevant and worthy of study than a lot of the “classics” though: yeah, Hellenistic busts are well done and definitely took a lot of work to execute that level of skill, but there’s a lot less feeling to it than say, In Ixtli in Yollotl to me
but then again, it’s not my money so if you want to waste a few million on a black triangle painted on a white canvas, I’m not complaining
:pandatea:
 
  • Love
Reactions: Mayday

bulletproof

✧ @karina is the eva to my noora ✧
.
.
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
12,423
Reactions Received
54,952
Location
ARMY base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
55
Gender
Female
Ship
I like it, but there are some pieces that are way too simple :wimwim: overall, I enjoy Modern Art Museums
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mayday

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,595
Reactions Received
43,660
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,408
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
i mean if people are genuinely willing to spend that much on these artworks then who am i to stop them. it's not something i personally enjoy but i don't have anything against it either.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mayday

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread