What you think of "true" meaning of fan and stan? (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
So in kpop calling yourself a fan or stan is everyday and thought as positive. But in other hand I have seen people calling out term "stan" saying that it comes from Eminem's song Stan and means stalker fan. However if we think of term fan it's also short from fanatic so neither of the words have positive initial meaning. To me both of the terms have been flipped around by the fandoms and reclaimed. Even more than terms of like geek, nerd or weaboo/weeb have. So to me pointing that stan comes from Eminem's song about stalker fan is pointless cause that's not what it means to people anymore. Rather I take "i stan *insert group" as "i stand for *insert group*" cause that's way more close what people mean by that . Even if word had a one meaning in the past doesn't mean that it currently has that meaning :dubuthink:
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
I agree. But the bigger question is: what is going through the mind of these people who call themselves stans when they only know one song :pandaomg:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I agree. But the bigger question is: what is going through the mind of these people who call themselves stans when they only know one song :pandaomg:
They try to belong to something popular put not they don't want to put the effort to actually getting to know what's it's about :dubuthink:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
To that, we could add the "otaku" word as well.
True, I feel like international anime fans have always seen otaku as positive word although it's not originally that
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,363
Reactions Received
27,574
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,986
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
I agree. But the bigger question is: what is going through the mind of these people who call themselves stans when they only know one song :pandaomg:
I always get so mad when people do that tbh, it irritates me way more than it should
I had someone say they stanned xrg and talk about the power of sr16g had they all debuted together when aespa first debuted... only to ask for get to know yiyang cards a month later because they wanted to start stanning yiyang and didn’t know where to start
:yolk: the way yiyang and lami were the main girls too
 
  • Like
Reactions: raymondchouku
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
a stan can’t just be someone who liked a few title tracks. those numbskulls who “stan” 30 groups don’t even know any of their names and I swear I will punch the next dolt who posts a grocery list of kpop groups thinking they’re cool

U have to always know what they’re up to at that moment (are they in Japan, is a magazine photo shoot coming out tomorrow, etc)and then u can say u stan
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread