COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

TV Why are there so many J-Dramas with underage female leads and adult male leads? (1 Viewer)

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
So I watch Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese and Thai dramas and started watching 'Life~Love on the Line' and actually loved it so I decided to give Japanese shows another chance after multiple failed attempts. So I was on Viki and decided to go through the highest rated tv shows and I'm not even kidding, 4 out of the 5 I clicked on involved female leads that were still in high school and male leads who were working adults. The guys were either their teachers of their parents' bosses or just some random, rich, adult man. Like if they were 18/19 ok but they're literally 15/16...And somehow all these dramas were highly rated... I have never seen relationships like this in other Asian dramas and I'm familiar enough with them to know that they also have a legal age and underage relationships are not normal. So I'm very confused.

Am I missing something? Why is this a common theme in romance J-dramas?

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
I know I wouldn't watch any drama with an underage female star in it.
It'd just feel so awkward among other things.

I have Viki on my phone myself. But haven't used it too much, since my internet connection is so slow and terrible.

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I know I wouldn't watch any drama with an underage female star in it.
It'd just feel so awkward among other things.

I have Viki on my phone myself. But haven't used it too much, since my internet connection is so slow and terrible.
Oh wait I meant the characters not the actresses themselves. I think most of them are 18+... But they play 15/16 year olds while their male leads play 20+. It's weird.

And Viki's good. It has all the Asian shows that aren't on Netflix so works out well for me. Once uni starts though, I'll be cancelling my subscription for both Viki + Netflix. It's too distracting.

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
Oh wait I meant the characters not the actresses themselves. I think most of them are 18+... But they play 15/16 year olds while their male leads play 20+. It's weird.
Oh well that changes things for me now. I thought you meant the actual people.
I don't mind that now that you clarified it for me.

I'd watch anything as long as it's asian and has cuties <3

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
That's why you should watch shonen animes where everyone is underage and save the world :sakUwu:

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Oh well that changes things for me now. I thought you meant the actual people.
I don't mind that now that you clarified it for me.

I'd watch anything as long as it's asian and has cuties <3
Really? But it's portraying a relationship between an underage student and fully grown adult male... Am I the only one who finds that so weird? Even putting aside the legality of it all, is that not strange? One has barely developed matured whereas the other has completely matured... I find it so uncomfortable.

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
Really? But it's portraying a relationship between an underage student and fully grown adult male... Am I the only one who finds that so weird? Even putting aside the legality of it all, is that not strange? One has barely developed matured whereas the other has completely matured... I find it so uncomfortable.
I guess they are trying to see it as a fantasy more than reality. And I am ok with that.
I don't think there is too much harm in that, unless it gets weird later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread