I don´t think I have ever implied that "happiness" should equal "stop getting financial or any kind of support" though so I am sorry but I am a bit missing the point. I think that if people ask for it they should get it, but there are a lot of people who really don´t care. I have watched a documentary about slums in one of the African countries and one of the elders in the village said what a disaster it is, how their youngsters go to overcrowded cities instead of staying at home for some fake pursuit of happiness. He said, white people came and told us how to live and how our ways of life are primitive, a lot of young people left to follow the glittery dream of big cars and big houses. But not everyone can be successful, not everyone can be a doctor.
I have watched another documentary where people were sending some support to a girl (I guess UNICEF? one of those "support a child and you´ll get letters how they are shining at school" and the girl about 8 honestly said that she hates school. But how she feels she now HAS TO do it because she should be grateful and become a doctor or someone important because of guilt or so. After all, aren´t the rich white people paying for that?
But that is "happy" I am talking about HAPPY, really happy. I wasn´t really talking about North Korea or fake happiness that we might all be brainwashed into thinking that having a good education, a house, a garden, two little kids is happiness but is it? About North Korea, it is quite funny that I watched an interview with a NK defector (on Asian Boss) and he said that he can´t ever say something was better in NK because people in SK immediately go berserk about how he should return etc. He said he is happy to live in SK but there ARE things that are better in NK and how similar some of the things like media are in both countries while the so-called democratic countries are so eager to distance themselves from it and point fingers, we are not like them! yet they are.
I like your argument yet I think it goes far from the original question. It seems like we are doubting the people can be happy and constantly talking about improvement while the question should probably state "people feel happier ... why?"
perhaps a better and concrete example could be Bhutan? it is rich country in resources but most people are still far from rich, yet they are all claiming to be one of the happiest nations, always smiling, always helping each other.