COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Why I don't like many good performers in kpop (1 Viewer)

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
There are a lot of idols in kpop who are considered to be good performers....
Whose performances I do not like.

Among these are Hwasa, Ateez's San and Taeyong.

Why don't I like them? They are strong performers afterall....
and that is what bothers me. They perform... strong.

They have strong expressions and movements, but they lack that softness.
They have strong facial expressions.... but they don't balance those out with softer ones every now and again.

There needs to be contrast to the aggressiveness, EVEN in an aggressive song!
Not all expressions need to be big, subtlety is also needed.

Their performances also tend to lack a certain.... sense of naturality in them. They put on this mask of expressions and performance, which almost totally hides the idols, the person behind it. The expressions look rehersed and forced to me and not natural.

So overall.... I don't mean to say I dislike those idols. Taeyong is my baby and I adore Hwasa, BUT.... I don't find them to be as good performers as most ppl do.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
I can get where you're coming from. I personally only know Taeyongs performances out of those three so I can't say much :lisalaugh:
I've always liked natural expressions from idols more. Ones they haven't practised in front of the mirror.
Like... THIS is my favourite Kai fancam, bcs well... He smiles a lot and most of them look genuine.

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
I tend to not be as big on the usual "performance Giants" that many tend to hype up.

Probably due to me looking for different things.

Like you I'm not as much a fan of always on aggression or strength. I find it rather one note and lacking nuance.

One of my favorite performances, is actually a dance practice.

Some might not be wowed by it. But I find it one of the most charming performances for me.

They all seem to be feeling the song and in to it. But no one is putting on a too exaggerated performance. Each within their role. In a more cohesive manner.

I particularly love Soyul here. One in the black shirt with bright green hat. Some of her dances are so charming.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
I tend to not be as big on the usual "performance Giants" that many tend to hype up.

Probably due to me looking for different things.

Like you I'm not as much a fan of always on aggression or strength. I find it rather one note and lacking nuance.

One of my favorite performances, is actually a dance practice.

Some might not be wowed by it. But I find it one of the most charming performances for me.

They all seem to be feeling the song and in to it. But no one is putting on a too exaggerated performance. Each within their role. In a more cohesive manner.

I particularly love Soyul here. One in the black shirt with bright green hat. Some of her dances are so charming.

I totally agree, personality tends to leak in a lot more often and a lot better in dance practices for most idols!
The idols who are able to relax and enjoy the performance the SAME way or even MORE as they do in a dance practice are the ones who I will call good performers.

I wanna see the idol having fun.

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Ship
Haven't really paid attention to the other two but I didn't like Taeyong for a while bc of this, but then I saw the Touch mv for 127 and his first few frames is just uwu explosion. Also Baby Don't Stop almost his entire performance vocally is very soft and 'sensual' *blush* and the choreo is mostly going strong but there's a few moments of very gentle movement which really stands out. If I hadn't seen those performances I would still feel the same way as you, maybe I didn't feel it as strongly as you and that's why just those 2 performances were enough for me :wimwim:

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
Haven't really paid attention to the other two but I didn't like Taeyong for a while bc of this, but then I saw the Touch mv for 127 and his first few frames is just uwu explosion. Also Baby Don't Stop almost his entire performance vocally is very soft and 'sensual' *blush* and the choreo is mostly going strong but there's a few moments of very gentle movement which really stands out. If I hadn't seen those performances I would still feel the same way as you, maybe I didn't feel it as strongly as you and that's why just those 2 performances were enough for me :wimwim:
I think I might've just been spoiled by Kai and his smiles! :sakUwu:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I feel the same way, but I love strong performers. I just really don't like it when they make it seem like they're trying hard. I like when that powerful charisma oozes out of them and they just make it look so easy and natural.

I feel this way the most with ateez. they're all talented but they overdue the shit out of their choreo and make it hard to actually watch them perform. good performers, just need to dial it back a bit.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
I feel the same way, but I love strong performers. I just really don't like it when they make it seem like they're trying hard. I like when that powerful charisma oozes out of them and they just make it look so easy and natural.

I feel this way the most with ateez. they're all talented but they overdue the shit out of their choreo and make it hard to actually watch them perform. good performers, just need to dial it back a bit.
ATEEZ thankfully are still quite a new group and don't have that much performing experience. Hopefully they will continue to keep on improving.
And I feel you on the easy and natural part.

The expressions should... fit the flow and sound of the song. They should be such that if you get into the feelings and the story of the song they make sense and well... look as everybody in this thread has said... natural and not rehearsed.

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
I actually never thought of that but I can definitely see your point. It’s cool to watch people like San perform very powerfully but in the end it’s nice to see a balance during the performance since it can come off as too much for others. Zelo I think is a good example of someone who has a nice balance, he’s a skilled dancer and has a nice balance of power and just having fun while he’s performing.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multistan
The reason I fell for Kai as a performer was watching him be all smiley during EXplOration so I completely feel you there. I never really noticed but in thinking about it my faves are also the ones who look like they're having the best time on stage

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I've always liked natural expressions from idols more. Ones they haven't practised in front of the mirror.
Like... THIS is my favourite Kai fancam, bcs well... He smiles a lot and most of them look genuine.

i understand the op point though i personally am not bothered and enjoy their perfomrances a lot..i also like the very versatile things, and this kai fancame is so :sanapray::sanapray: how have i not seenit before

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I can totally see your point. that‘s how I also kinda felt with Hwasa. In Mamamoo I always preferred Wheein‘s dancing amd performance way more.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
The reason I fell for Kai as a performer was watching him be all smiley during EXplOration so I completely feel you there. I never really noticed but in thinking about it my faves are also the ones who look like they're having the best time on stage
With Kai youcan DEFINITELY see how much he enjoys being on stage performing and how much joy it gives him to dance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread