COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Sensitive Will LGBTQ+ ever be accepted? (1 Viewer)

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
So then, this is like a general question cause I've always told myself when the older generations die the newer ones will be more accepting of everything from LGBTQ+ to Race to Religion and all that good shit. But I'm not sure if that's really how it's gonna be?

Cause there are always idiots in every generation and even in my class in college for example there are a few of them that don't exactly hate any of these aformentioned but they do dislike them in a way and say stuff like "that's disgusting" and "as long as it's not in front of me".
It's also the fact that the generations that accept are only just beginning.
My mom is 50 and she still has a similar attitude to the older generations.
So if people between her generation and mine are still full of hate, than we'll need at least 50 or so years before the majority of people are fine with it.
And that's looking at it completely as an optimist. Since different people hate different things.
Some people just dislike the idea of being trans, some talk about how asexuals don't exist or bi for that matter and so on with race and religion.
I honestly even see it going longer cause of it going 1 by 1 in a sense, first sexual orientation, than race, than religion or whatever way it goes.
And likely the religion part might never actually go away since we've been at it since the start of our existence essentially.
I'm curious what you guys think especially since a lot of people on the forum seem to be part of this very community.

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
I don't see why it won't be eventually, it might take forever, especially in some places, but I think we'll get there at some point.
Fair enough, positivity it is.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
STARWOL
I don't see why it won't be eventually, it might take forever, especially in some places, but I think we'll get there at some point.
yeah give it another 50 years or so and then maybe 80% or more of people will be accepting of it
all over the world

because after 50 years most people won't be there anymore who are now still here with old standards

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I think they will be in areas where they don't propaganda imaginary rights or perceived injustice tantrums. Or in politically correct terms; They are more likely to be accepted in areas like eveyother good neighbor. I know a lot of peeps that are sick of the community because of over bearing uncalled for behavior.

They have a way to go bit they are getting there. They will be with time

Yili

Stay • Czennie • Teume • Moodz • One-It • Villain
Reactions Received
Website
flyhighyili.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi <3
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think similar to racism and sexism and how they continue to endure even in what many consider culturally progressive countries, I have doubts that it will ever be normalized everywhere for a long time. Maybe it's a bit pessimistic of me but I don't have a strong belief in people yet that they would overcome it

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
at one point we'll get there eventually, but there's still a long way to go in some places and poland where i unfortunately have to live is one of the examples of that. there are places which have been literally declared "lgbt+ free zones", the president calls us an "ideology" and it got to the point where the police captured people simply for wearing rainbow bags. people around me seem to be supportive, but then again my grandmother often says things like "i have nothing against that lgbt thing, but i just don't understand why women would want to be with other women when they can find a husband instead" and a few of my highschool classmates who openly said things like "i support gay people but i don't think they should get married and have children, i mean there's a reason straight people are the ones seen as normal" were praised by the teachers for their behaviour (not that one particular thing of course just in general) who just ignored that and said the whole class should be more like them. poland is also very catholic which plays a huge part here because the polish catholic church is also extremely hateful towards the lgbt community. this post became a rant at this point but living in this country is so exhausting i hate it

Last edited:

Tickita

♦️🍰♥️
Reactions Received
Website
tickittaa.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
KingCassie
Pronouns
she, her, mrrp
We're still dealing with racism. But hopefully one day. And it's more than the govt legalizing it; entertainment and how it portrays different groups is part of the problem. X-phobic artists saying slurs.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Exo L
Ship
Homophobia and Racism will always exist in that freedom of expression will exist. Second, homosexuality is really only accepted in specific areas of Western Europe and North America. As many areas in Western Asia and North Africa are radicalized in Islamism and a key tenet of Islam [as with the other abrahamic religions] is against homosexuality, it makes sense for there to be low acceptance given how the church and state [or rather mosque and state] is intertwined and religion plays a much bigger role in day to day life than in western Europe and the Americas. Second, with regard to EA and SEA the concept of homosexuality may relate to inability to continue the bloodline legacy and as such may cause "shame" to one's family. While many celebrities within Korea, China, and Japan espouse pro-gay sentiments, it is important to understand that they don't necessarily reflect the society in a same way that Hollywood doesn't reflect Americans as a whole.

As you (@RainbowDevil) are from Eastern Europe, I'm sure you can give a perspective of a Serbian gay and what the cultural climate is like. If in fact is like other Eastern European countries, then may not be as welcoming as Western Europe and North America is. Similarly, I wonder if the remnants of the Soviet Union has any impact on the mores and attitudes toward LGBT+ in Eastern European countries.

We also need a metric. This may seem pedantic, but if you think about it, it is needed. What do we measure homophobic. This is important as some advocates may be against Same-Sex Marriage. Carly Fiorina (republican nominee) said she was against same-sex marriage, but campaigned in university for the right for civil unions. While she [as other politicians] may be lying it brings about the question: Is being against same-sex marriage but for civil-unions homophobic? Similarly, if we only view homophobia through the lens of anti-gay violence then we would see homophobia to a lesser degree. However, if a metric is developed that said that homophobia is predicated on one's willingness to live in one's community with gays and lesbians and one's degree of aversion, this may help.

Still there will exist problems. The religions with the most devotees are Abrahamic. Roman Catholicism [the biggest sect] is monolithic. It criticizes other religions and denominations for changing and having little universal weight. This means it is not likely to change. While many RC aren't against homosexuality and gay marriage, some data does suggest that those who are RC who attend church more regularly tend to be against it, while those who are more lapsed tend to be in favor. In relation to Islam a similar issue arises. Among the orthodox schools, Islam remains unchanged and as such homosexuality is not accepted. For homophobia to be eradicated there would need to be a time where people (all) take their religion as fallible in some concepts or explainable in other ways (c.f. Would Jesus discriminate)…

To wrap this up: Homophobia would likely become acceptable to majority faster in Western Europe and North America sooner, within a few generations. However, religious and socio-cultural barriers would hinder this progression in other areas of the world. But there are still parts of Western Europe and North America that is not accepting. If you look at rates based on surveys you will find a large minority views Homosexuality as wrong. As [from my experience] many countries in Western Europe tend to be more liberal these rates of acceptance would be higher and as such sooner attainment of high majority acceptance (~80 percent) would be possibly achievable with subsequent generations.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Exo L
Ship
I'm not really double posting, but wanted to add something and didn't want to add it to my original post, because it might be drowned out. It is important that homophobia not strictly be measured as acts of violence and slurs against gays. I saw this because yes in the past we were attacked and even branded with pink triangles and gathered into camps of forced labor. But beyond that an idea that one is wrong for their sexual orientation should still include homophobia even if slurs and violence are not involved in the one enacting it (c.f. Conversion Therapy, Praying the gay away, forced celebacy, propaganda about links to deviance)...

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
at one point we'll get there eventually, but there's still a long way to go in some places and poland where i unfortunately have to live is one of the examples of that. there are places which have been literally declared "lgbt+ free zones", the president calls us an "ideology" and it got to the point where the police captured people simply for wearing rainbow bags. people around me seem to be supportive, but then again my grandmother often says things like "i have nothing against that lgbt thing, but i just don't understand why women would want to be with other women when they can find a husband instead" and a few of my highschool classmates who openly said things like "i support gay people but i don't think they should get married and have children, i mean there's a reason straight people are the ones seen as normal" were praised by the teachers for their behaviour (not that one particular thing of course just in general) who just ignored that and said the whole class should be more like them. poland is also very catholic which plays a huge part here because the polish catholic church is also extremely hateful towards the lgbt community. this post became a rant at this point but living in this country is so exhausting i hate it
I feel you Serbia is the same except we're Orthodox... wow, what a difference it has made...

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Homophobia and Racism will always exist in that freedom of expression will exist. Second, homosexuality is really only accepted in specific areas of Western Europe and North America. As many areas in Western Asia and North Africa are radicalized in Islamism and a key tenet of Islam [as with the other abrahamic religions] is against homosexuality, it makes sense for there to be low acceptance given how the church and state [or rather mosque and state] is intertwined and religion plays a much bigger role in day to day life than in western Europe and the Americas. Second, with regard to EA and SEA the concept of homosexuality may relate to inability to continue the bloodline legacy and as such may cause "shame" to one's family. While many celebrities within Korea, China, and Japan espouse pro-gay sentiments, it is important to understand that they don't necessarily reflect the society in a same way that Hollywood doesn't reflect Americans as a whole.

As you (@RainbowDevil) are from Eastern Europe, I'm sure you can give a perspective of a Serbian gay and what the cultural climate is like. If in fact is like other Eastern European countries, then may not be as welcoming as Western Europe and North America is. Similarly, I wonder if the remnants of the Soviet Union has any impact on the mores and attitudes toward LGBT+ in Eastern European countries.

We also need a metric. This may seem pedantic, but if you think about it, it is needed. What do we measure homophobic. This is important as some advocates may be against Same-Sex Marriage. Carly Fiorina (republican nominee) said she was against same-sex marriage, but campaigned in university for the right for civil unions. While she [as other politicians] may be lying it brings about the question: Is being against same-sex marriage but for civil-unions homophobic? Similarly, if we only view homophobia through the lens of anti-gay violence then we would see homophobia to a lesser degree. However, if a metric is developed that said that homophobia is predicated on one's willingness to live in one's community with gays and lesbians and one's degree of aversion, this may help.

Still there will exist problems. The religions with the most devotees are Abrahamic. Roman Catholicism [the biggest sect] is monolithic. It criticizes other religions and denominations for changing and having little universal weight. This means it is not likely to change. While many RC aren't against homosexuality and gay marriage, some data does suggest that those who are RC who attend church more regularly tend to be against it, while those who are more lapsed tend to be in favor. In relation to Islam a similar issue arises. Among the orthodox schools, Islam remains unchanged and as such homosexuality is not accepted. For homophobia to be eradicated there would need to be a time where people (all) take their religion as fallible in some concepts or explainable in other ways (c.f. Would Jesus discriminate)…

To wrap this up: Homophobia would likely become acceptable to majority faster in Western Europe and North America sooner, within a few generations. However, religious and socio-cultural barriers would hinder this progression in other areas of the world. But there are still parts of Western Europe and North America that is not accepting. If you look at rates based on surveys you will find a large minority views Homosexuality as wrong. As [from my experience] many countries in Western Europe tend to be more liberal these rates of acceptance would be higher and as such sooner attainment of high majority acceptance (~80 percent) would be possibly achievable with subsequent generations.
Fascinating analysis... never delved into it that deep but it's interesting to see all of these opinions and things that seem constant but actually aren't

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread