Worst Cooking Experience? (4 Viewers)

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Today all that I've done so far is struggling to make a caramel cheesecake, it was my first time making a cheesecake but I've been baking for a few years now so I felt pretty confident... :pandanoreaction: Idk why I ever thought it would be easy, because it was a struggle. I had to make caramel from scratch and my mom kept saying how hard it is to do and that she could never do it, but like I said I was confident and I tried to do it anyways... Long story short the caramel turned into rock in the mixing bowl and I ended up having to throw the bowl away because the caramel was literally a part of the bowl (my mom wasn't too happy about that). So with that batch of caramel gone to waste I realized I didn't have all the ingredients that I needed to try again so I had to drive all the way into town (while there's a festival going on as well) and pick up the ingredients. I got back home and tried to make the caramel again, did I succeed? Nope.... it turned into a rock again (I followed the directions and everything Idk what I did wrong) So I ended up doing the smart thing and just melted caramel candies (almost ruining that batch as well but whatever). But it was such a stressful time because It's for my friends birthday so if I messed up that wouldn't be very good. On the bright side I'm finally done with it and now I can relax. :lazypotato: I also don't plan on ever making caramel from scratch again because that was a nightmare.


So, after my long story. What's your guys' worst experience with cooking? Hopefully nobody set anything on fire :sanapray:


Image result for bts cooking gifs
​
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
I think the trick with caramel is to make sure you mix/whip the cream in gradually when the sugar is still hot. It also depends on which temperature you heated it up to. After a certain temperature, the sugar mixture turns into a solid once cooled (like lollipop solid).

I don't ever remember terribly burning food or anything but I remember the first time I tried to fry food, I didn't know that you need to wait for the oil to cool down before you add anything wet to it so I added some cold water to the burning hot oil and it started sizzling and oil sprayed all over the kitchen. I got in a lot of trouble because off all the mess I made but also because apparently adding water to hot oil can start a fire. So I got lucky and no fire started but it took me like 2 whole days to clean all the oil from the kitchen floor and walls.
 

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I had a horrible experience making fries last year
When I put the recently cooked fries
Hot oil and all into a plastic bowl
:pepeslippy:
I have no idea what I was thinking then

But I guess I learned a good lesson
:zoomeyes:
Big oops :llama_laugh:

I think the trick with caramel is to make sure you mix/whip the cream in gradually when the sugar is still hot. It also depends on which temperature you heated it up to. After a certain temperature, the sugar mixture turns into a solid once cooled (like lollipop solid).

I don't ever remember terribly burning food or anything but I remember the first time I tried to fry food, I didn't know that you need to wait for the oil to cool down before you add anything wet to it so I added some cold water to the burning hot oil and it started sizzling and oil sprayed all over the kitchen. I got in a lot of trouble because off all the mess I made but also because apparently adding water to hot oil can start a fire. So I got lucky and no fire started but it took me like 2 whole days to clean all the oil from the kitchen floor and walls.

So I wasn't supposed to take it off the heat when mixing everything else in? Because I mixed everything in right when I took the sugar off the heat so I figured it would stay hot and not turn hard if I mixed everything in super quickly.

My mom would have been so mad if I did that, she always likes her kitchen being spotless of grease so that would have been her worst nightmare.
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Big oops :llama_laugh:




So I wasn't supposed to take it off the heat when mixing everything else in? Because I mixed everything in right when I took the sugar off the heat so I figured it would stay hot and not turn hard if I mixed everything in super quickly.

My mom would have been so mad if I did that, she always likes her kitchen being spotless of grease so that would have been her worst nightmare.
From what I know, you can take it off the heat but the sugar mixture shouldn't be heated past a certain temperature. So for example, as soon as it hits the 100 degrees C mark, you need to take it off the heat and then mix in the cream. If you heat it past the 100 degrees mark, then it solidifies and turns into candy instead when it cools. I'm not sure what the actual temperature is though but I think it's basically as soon as the mixture turns brown. But you can check that anyway. You can also leave the cream out at room temperature so that it's not too cold once you mix it in.

And in our house I'm in charge of the kitchen and cooking so my mum usually doesn't say anything. She obviously wasn't happy because she's huge on cleanliness but I made the mess so I had to clean it so it wasn't too big of a deal. I was mostly in trouble because I almost started a fire but then again, she didn't really teach me that so it's not like I could have known.
I understand your mum. I hate it when even one spice is out of place in the kitchen. If there's anything left anywhere I get so annoyed.
 

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
From what I know, you can take it off the heat but the sugar mixture shouldn't be heated past a certain temperature. So for example, as soon as it hits the 100 degrees C mark, you need to take it off the heat and then mix in the cream. If you heat it past the 100 degrees mark, then it solidifies and turns into candy instead when it cools. I'm not sure what the actual temperature is though but I think it's basically as soon as the mixture turns brown. But you can check that anyway. You can also leave the cream out at room temperature so that it's not too cold once you mix it in.

And in our house I'm in charge of the kitchen and cooking so my mum usually doesn't say anything. She obviously wasn't happy because she's huge on cleanliness but I made the mess so I had to clean it so it wasn't too big of a deal. I was mostly in trouble because I almost started a fire but then again, she didn't really teach me that so it's not like I could have known.
I understand your mum. I hate it when even one spice is out of place in the kitchen. If there's anything left anywhere I get so annoyed.
Ohhh, that's probably why I messed up. I didn't take the sugar off the heat until it was a darker brown... Oopsie :nekosweat: Maybe if I ever try again I'll have better luck.

Yeah, my mom is like that. Her biggest thing though is when I spill sugar on the ground.
 
Joined
23 June 2019
Messages
1,759
Reactions Received
10,279
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
My grandma spent the last year of her life trying unsuccessfully to teach me how to cook. Out of all the disasters I have done, including fires and what not. I think the one that is most traumatic was caused by Goya. Goya is a food company, don't know much about them, but usually what they have is good. HOWEVER unlike Asian/Indian/Like there of when it comes to labeling coconut cream they do not label it as cream or dessert. Heck even Thai cuisine labels it sweetened or unsweetened. So when I was going to make curry I thought it was just cream since it was not labeled Dessert or Sweetened.

YEAH! Nopers. Oh god, Goya Coconut Cream tastes sweeter then a bag of sugar mixed with a batch of corn syrup. Imagine everyone's surprise when they went to take a spoonful and discovered this sweet disaster. Now I am scared to buy coconut cream even with the brands I used before safely.

Note: If some people don't like coconut taste in curry, and other people are whiny babies they want coconut in their curry Cream is an imbetween that keeps both parties happy. Just keep stirring it or you'll get a foam monster.

Related image
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
I was in Las Vegas when I was around 9 (I was living there at the time) and I would make Top (or perhaps it was Maruchan) Ramen Noodles via the Microwave. [Girl don't act like your lazy ass hasn't done it before.] Anyway I forgot to add water, so I sort of burnt the sh*t out of the container I was using. It was so humiliating. The only other person that was there was my common law step-brother who would shut the f**k up about it.. Seriously he wanted me to steal a Yu-Gi-Oh card from one of my friends to atone for this sin...

edit: I realized I did not elaborate: I didn't actually steal from my friend...
 
Last edited:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I put frozen pizza in the oven and the baking paper caught fire. :joshmeh:

Pizza was fine though, but freaked me over and I ended up pouring lot of water on it.
 
Joined
15 August 2019
Messages
246
Reactions Received
866
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
i'm always worried that i haven't cooked meat long enough so i end up putting it back on the pan/in the oven so many times, i'm decent at cooking overall and i haven't really had a big event it just is so frustrating to try to cook meat
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
i'm always worried that i haven't cooked meat long enough so i end up putting it back on the pan/in the oven so many times, i'm decent at cooking overall and i haven't really had a big event it just is so frustrating to try to cook meat
^Same. Mostly with chicken and on the stovetop. If I cook for myself I tend not to have this issue though. lol
 
Joined
22 April 2019
Messages
1,118
Reactions Received
2,529
Location
ᶦᵗˢ ᵃ ˢᵉᶜʳᵉᵗ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
i have so many bad cooking experience

One time I was just trying to make ramen in the microwave and my microwave just exploded. This was like the 4th time I broke my microwave.
 

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Less cooking more baking/microwaving but

I tried one of those cake in the cups thingies but a brownie in a cup, I did have every ingredients and put the right amount in idk if I mixed them badly or whatever but after taking it out of the microwave it looked like a big fat turd, I tasted it but it didn't even remotely tasted like a brownie.
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
I actually do Food Nutrition as a GCSE which means I have to take a test for it. It's not as easy as it sounds :nekosweat:

I'm also terrible at cooking. I can write a page about how different vitamins and minerals help different parts of the body or a whole essay on how cheese is made but I can't for the life of me, cook. I haven't had too many accidents but the most memorable one is when my tofu wasn't dry enough so when I put it in the pan, it turned into sludge. Mixed with other half cooked stuff, it was terrible. The other once was when I was cooking with prawns but the prawns weren't cooked properly and I just threw all the spices I had in the pan. It burned my tongue off...
I don't know why I chose the subject in the first place :facepalm:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wingfrost and yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
worst that happened is that I recently burned myself. I accidently touched a hot pan and got a burn blister on my mittlefinger from that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wingfrost

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread