Would you be ok with a Hispanic Harry, a Black Ron and an Asian Hermione? (1 Viewer)

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,603
Reactions Received
43,662
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,477
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
i'm not okay with anything harry potter because it means more money going to the awful transphobe jk rowling's pockets but those are fictional characters whose race isn't relevant to the story so obviously they can be played by actors who aren't white and idk what to tell you if you think otherwise :frogsiren:
 

Soogi

radical kyeominist
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
16,140
Reactions Received
24,280
Website
kyeomblr.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
200
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she / her
Ship
honestly I find it annoying when companies try to do remakes or live versions and hire poc for them, the attempt at inclusion comes across as superficial (ahem disney), sure if they did it wouldn't be a big deal and even better if it's not just an attempt at trying to be diverse, in that case I think it would be better for companies to put more effort into creating original stories. as a poc myself, I'm all for representation and Harry Potter is a fantasy story so it doesn't really matter what the casting choices are, but in general I've always been skeptical when companies try to pull things like this with remakes and people will call you racist if you disagree with the choices made, just create original stories if you want to be inclusive :")
i dont think we should automatically assume all diversity is forced to pander to certain audiences. poc actors have to work harder to be recognized for their talents, especially for roles that are not stereotypically/historically poc, so when we read diversity as "directors handing poc's jobs for brownie points" we deny the actors' hard work and talents. why cant we just believe directors when they say "we cast a black/asian/... person for this originally white role because their audition blew us away"
 

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I personally don’t really care tbh
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,394
Reactions Received
151,405
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Well they were laser focused the first time on all British acting I would expect the same again.
If they all have a British accent I’m fine with that. If they don’t all have a British accent I’m also fine with that. Something that small doesn’t just make a difference to me. If I care about changes made to the movie from the book version I’ll care about certain things sure. Accent and race just don’t happen to be things that are in that category.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,180
Reactions Received
52,518
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,696
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
I am gonna say yes.
for the purpose to see it done from a different perspective.
I don't see their background as relevant
if they play the roles well.
that's all I care about.

A black harry, asian ron and hispanic emma by the way. In a different order.
 

StrayMixx

aka Chiara
.
.
Joined
12 September 2020
Messages
40,173
Reactions Received
46,834
Location
in Bang Chan's head
Website
www.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
181,974
Fandom
mainly bg
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
i dont think we should automatically assume all diversity is forced to pander to certain audiences. poc actors have to work harder to be recognized for their talents, especially for roles that are not stereotypically/historically poc, so when we read diversity as "directors handing poc's jobs for brownie points" we deny the actors' hard work and talents. why cant we just believe directors when they say "we cast a black/asian/... person for this originally white role because their audition blew us away"
that's a very good point! Harry Styles was offered the Prince Eric role for the Little Mermaid live-action remake even though PE is a Dane and Harry's British (he turned it down so he could tour, but still), and I wouldn't have minded one bit. It wasn't his nationality they were looking at, it was his talent as an actor.

And as a side note, England is a racially diverse country like the States - in fact, Leigh-Anne from Little Mix is black and Zayn Malik is (half) Pakistani! So I say, yes, there can be different races in a British movie.
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Would you be fine with this?
Also, since it is based in Britain, let's consider what the racial composition of Britain was in the early 1980s when these characters would have been born.
 

The_LastRomeo

Piece of My World
.
Joined
2 June 2022
Messages
17,625
Reactions Received
18,610
Website
haru-masamasa.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
6,256
Fandom
EXO-L/FOREVER
Pronouns
Zombie/Monster
If the races were British in the book it should stay that way, this is technically not the same as the little mermaid
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread