Would you consider home schooling your kids? (1 Viewer)

What would your preference be?


  • Total voters
    7

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Honestly, I don't think I want to send my kids to school. I can just teach them myself or I can just find someone trustable to teach them at home.
All my family members that have kids are saying that they want to send their kids to a religious private school because they don't trust public schools but I went to both a public and religious private school and the private school was honestly worse. I learnt so many 18+ things and swear words when I went to the private school than I did at my public school. Obviously, the public school was not perfect either but the group I befriended at my public school was so innocent compared to my private school class mates. So I don't see how the private school would be a better option. The only plus to it is that they get some education on religion which isn't part of the public school curriculum.

So my choice would be to home school them because I think that's the much better option out of both the public and private schools. I strongly believe that a person's personality is dependent on their environment and what they learn by observations so I think I could be a good enough role model for them and just make sure they aren't being influenced by bad people until they're old enough to have a good understanding of what is right and wrong.
But at the same time I don't want to study all these years for nothing. It would be such a waste and I have so many dreams. :yolk:
This is why I don't want to have children. So much to worry about.
 

igloo

cheesecake is delicious
.
Joined
31 August 2018
Messages
2,562
Reactions Received
15,940
Location
in the rain
Website
www.pinterest.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,748
Fandom
N/A
Gender
Male
Ship
honestly homeschooling is probably a no
we wouldn't have time to teach them well enough
and they wouldn't be prepared for the real world
it's a hard balance to stop them from getting negatively influenced as a parent
but homeschooling? i don't think that's the answer.
you're just stifling their education, because you won't have the expertise in the all the areas they'll need
and you won't be able to give them the social skills and experience that they will ultimately have to be acclimated to.
 

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
8,269
Reactions Received
26,625
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
Probably not. If I have a full time job at that point in time, I don't think I'd have the time to homeschool my kids. I'd just have to make sure that they enroll in a public school that takes education and grades pretty seriously.

Although if I end up being a stay at home mom, I might consider it, since America's education system is pretty bad. That being said though, I'm not sure I have the skills or the patience to teach kids stuff 😅
 
Joined
3 March 2019
Messages
507
Reactions Received
1,807
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
omg lol thats interesting what u said abt private school. I went to a private Christian school but only for Kindergarten and it was the worst but idk abt other private schools. Public school is also the worst. Hmm maybe id homeschool them when they’re young like in elementary but have them still involved in activites or sports so theyre not complete loners. but idk abt middle school and highschool...if i had the money maybe try a private school but not a religious one 🤢
 
  • Like
Reactions: lexus and Suzy

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
honestly homeschooling is probably a no
we wouldn't have time to teach them well enough
and they wouldn't be prepared for the real world
it's a hard balance to stop them from getting negatively influenced as a parent
but homeschooling? i don't think that's the answer.
you're just stifling their education, because you won't have the expertise in the all the areas they'll need
and you won't be able to give them the social skills and experience that they will ultimately have to be acclimated to.
I have experience teaching children English, Maths and Science so I think I can teach them in the main areas. And if not, I can hire someone. Not to mention, I wouldn't confine them to only the house. There are so many sports clubs and other clubs they could join. Not to mention library programs they can join. So I think they would get their social learning at those types of public clubs. And there are so many studies that suggest that home-schooled children generally turn out more intelligent than kids who actually went to a school. Even more studies to suggest that children may actually be more intelligent if their bond with their parents is stronger since that child feels more confident with themselves so they're able to ask more questions at their curious ages. Of course, this depends on the parents as well so the parents need to be patient and they need to challenge their kids as well. So I would rather they spend their first couple of years of school with me and then once I'm no longer able to teach them, I can enrol them into a good school.

Not to mention, the school system really is a waste of time in my opinion. Especially for smarter kids. I learnt more in my own time than I did at school. But I guess that's a topic for another time and I guess it depends on the school too.
 

igloo

cheesecake is delicious
.
Joined
31 August 2018
Messages
2,562
Reactions Received
15,940
Location
in the rain
Website
www.pinterest.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,748
Fandom
N/A
Gender
Male
Ship
I have experience teaching children English, Maths and Science so I think I can teach them in the main areas. And if not, I can hire someone. Not to mention, I wouldn't confine them to only the house. There are so many sports clubs and other clubs they could join. Not to mention library programs they can join. So I think they would get their social learning at those types of public clubs. And there are so many studies that suggest that home-schooled children generally turn out more intelligent than kids who actually went to a school. Even more studies to suggest that children may actually be more intelligent if their bond with their parents is stronger since that child feels more confident with themselves so they're able to ask more questions at their curious ages. Of course, this depends on the parents as well so the parents need to be patient and they need to challenge their kids as well. So I would rather they spend their first couple of years of school with me and then once I'm no longer able to teach them, I can enrol them into a good school.

Not to mention, the school system really is a waste of time in my opinion. Especially for smarter kids. I learnt more in my own time than I did at school. But I guess that's a topic for another time and I guess it depends on the school too.
i think you're lucky to have extensive teaching experience
the knowledge to intimately teach subjects is not something so commonly obtained
and as none of those things are my passions, quite frankly i'd be totally lacking in the motivation to engross myself into them
while having to also simultaneously work a full time job
i think if you either had the money to sustain yourself without one
or were a teacher and had a fellow teacher as a partner perhaps it would be a wise choice
but for someone who has either 1 or 0 teachers in the relationship
and has to grind for their money
it's totally unviable based on time and knowledge.
and if you're hiring people, that means you have some serious disposable income, which changes things.
i think if you're going to homeschool, it could be a viable choice, but you need some serious prerequisites to such a scenario
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
omg lol thats interesting what u said abt private school. I went to a private Christian school but only for Kindergarten and it was the worst but idk abt other private schools. Public school is also the worst. Hmm maybe id homeschool them when they’re young like in elementary but have them still involved in activites or sports so theyre not complete loners. but idk abt middle school and highschool...if i had the money maybe try a private school but not a religious one 🤢
Yeh I told my mum I no longer wanted to go to my public school because there were kids kissing everywhere but then I went to the private school and although there was no kissing or anything happening, the kids had such lewd minds. I told my mum I no longer wanted to go there either so I left after a year and enrolled into a uni program that had year 11 and year 12 studies in the adult environment. Best decision I ever made. The environment was so much more mature and the teachers were great. I learnt so much and became really close friends with my teachers too. I went to school with people who actually wanted to learn. So it was the perfect environment for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hyunjin and igloo

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Probably not. If I have a full time job at that point in time, I don't think I'd have the time to homeschool my kids. I'd just have to make sure that they enroll in a public school that takes education and grades pretty seriously.

Although if I end up being a stay at home mom, I might consider it, since America's education system is pretty bad. That being said though, I'm not sure I have the skills or the patience to teach kids stuff 😅
Yeh, that's the one reason I wouldn't want to home school them. I'm studying so hard right now and I have so many goals and dreams in my life. I don't want to give it up just to stay home and educate my children, but at the same time I am also assuming I would be getting married and having children a couple of years after I actually get a job and have saved enough to start a family. If I can't give up my job (which I don't think I would be able to) I think I would prefer to hire someone to teach them at home but at the same time that kind of goes against the idea of strengthening my bond with them. So I was thinking I could just work for a few days a week and teach them the other half of the week. Or me and my husband can alternate. Lol but that's assuming I had the perfect husband which is probably the hardest part in this idea.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mangoey and igloo
Joined
3 March 2019
Messages
507
Reactions Received
1,807
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Yeh I told my mum I no longer wanted to go to my public school because there were kids kissing everywhere but then I went to the private school and although there was no kissing or anything happening, the kids had such lewd minds. I told my mum I no longer wanted to go there either so I left after a year and enrolled into a uni program that had year 11 and year 12 studies in the adult environment. Best decision I ever made. The environment was so much more mature and the teachers were great. I learnt so much and became really close friends with my teachers too. I went to school with people who actually wanted to learn. So it was the perfect environment for me.
oh wow thats interesting and good for you for getting out of there lol. I should look into something like that when i have kids
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy and igloo

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
i think you're lucky to have extensive teaching experience
the knowledge to intimately teach subjects is not something so commonly obtained
and as none of those things are my passions, quite frankly i'd be totally lacking in the motivation to engross myself into them
while having to also simultaneously work a full time job
i think if you either had the money to sustain yourself without one
or were a teacher and had a fellow teacher as a partner perhaps it would be a wise choice
but for someone who has either 1 or 0 teachers in the relationship
and has to grind for their money
it's totally unviable based on time and knowledge.
and if you're hiring people, that means you have some serious disposable income, which changes things.
i think if you're going to homeschool, it could be a viable choice, but you need some serious prerequisites to such a scenario
I understand where you are coming from. That makes perfect sense and I can see why people would be against it. But I was more curious about it in a sense where you would have the proper education, personality and money for it. I can see why so many people wouldn't be able to even if they wanted to because it definitely would be really expensive, especially if you don't have the education to teach. You would not only need to hire a teacher but also need to pay for all the social and sports clubs they join, which they could be joining for free at in a public school. So I can definitely see why it wouldn't be ideal for so many.
But like I said, I'm more curious about if you would consider it if you had the means for it. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: igloo

igloo

cheesecake is delicious
.
Joined
31 August 2018
Messages
2,562
Reactions Received
15,940
Location
in the rain
Website
www.pinterest.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,748
Fandom
N/A
Gender
Male
Ship
I understand where you are coming from. That makes perfect sense and I can see why people would be against it. But I was more curious about it in a sense where you would have the proper education, personality and money for it. I can see why so many people wouldn't be able to even if they wanted to because it definitely would be really expensive, especially if you don't have the education to teach. You would not only need to hire a teacher but also need to pay for all the social and sports clubs they join, which they could be joining for free at in a public school. So I can definitely see why it wouldn't be ideal for so many.
But like I said, I'm more curious about if you would consider it if you had the means for it. :)
yea i mean if i had the time, knowledge, and money and my wife really wanted to i think it wouldn't be bad to do so. there is certainly a ton of bad stuff about our education system.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
oh wow thats interesting and good for you for getting out of there lol. I should look into something like that when i have kids
Yeh I was strangely mature as a kid and I knew what I wanted. It was a mess for my mum having to transfer me from school to school every couple of years but in the end it paid off and we were both happy with how it all turned out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hyunjin and igloo
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,585
Reactions Received
93,413
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
186,783
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
The problem is university, and making sure they qualify.
in family we could teach everything better than the school system.
Shoot we mostly tutor them all now.
All the kids do go to public school but we asa family are pretty involved.
personally if i ever have kids....... i might since we can pick the school to many extents go with public school, but i am just not sure the social benefits out weigh the waste of time.

Most folks treat school as free babysitting. So they get what they get.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
The problem is university, and making sure they qualify.
in family we could teach everything better than the school system.
Shoot we mostly tutor them all now.
All the kids do go to public school but we asa family are pretty involved.
personally if i ever have kids....... i might since we can pick the school to many extents go with public school, but i am just not sure the social benefits out weigh the waste of time.

Most folks treat school as free babysitting. So they get what they get.
I wouldn't teach them after year 9. I think I would prefer sending them to school for 11 and 12 especially. With science it would be fine since that's my area of study but I wouldn't qualify to teach them any other subject in depth. I know there's a further education system here for year 11 and 12 students but I personally would rather they go and learn from a professional and then I can just help them with whenever they need help. They would be old enough by then to know the difference between right and wrong anyway (which is the main reason why I want to home school them).
Also, uni wouldn't really be a problem here as long as they get the required atar. So they would just have to sit the exams and get the grade that is required for their area of interest. But like I said, I wouldn't be able to teach them anything besides science at that year level so they would need to go to school for that... Unless my husband can teach them but then that's just assuming I actually end up marrying someone who wants to home school the kids and leave whatever he's doing to teach them himself. I don't think I would actually be able to find someone like that lol.

And yeh, free babysitting is the main benefit of public schools. It honestly is a dream come true for working parents and it would probably end up being the route I take too if I decide I don't want to quit my job to teach my kids. I don't think it's necessary to send them to a private school but who knows, I might change my mind in the future. Things change so no point making plans now for kids I don't have. Lol I was talking to my cousin about how I want to teach my kids self-directed study the moment they learn to read but that's such an unrealistic plan. I think I'm still too immature to be making plans for my future children.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
6 March 2019
Messages
2,786
Reactions Received
3,813
Location
Italia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
3,970
Gender
Female
+18 things and swear words are smth kids will eventually learn anyway. I never used them until i got in college.

Same as my parents did for me tho,i will send my kid (hopefully a daughter) to a private school,bc students are way more respected by the staff there.
 
Joined
22 April 2019
Messages
1,118
Reactions Received
2,529
Location
ᶦᵗˢ ᵃ ˢᵉᶜʳᵉᵗ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I have no opinion about public school because I only been to a private Catholic school all my life even in University. I did got home school for my last 3 year of elementary school for personal reasons I was going to miss school a lot. My mom actually paid for private teachers to home school me since both she and my step-dad are busy with work to do it themselves. I still had social interaction because I did join choir and do other extracurricular activity. It was a good experience though.

I did have great memories going to private school. Even though it was a religious private school it pretty diverse and not all student came from religious household. My family is Catholic, but we not religious compare to other religious people. I also made some great friends that I still keep in touch with and met some wonderful teacher. The high school I went to had like a small population of student, so each class has like 12 student or 10 in the class, which I did like because the teacher was able to like focus on a small amount of student. I went to a K-8 school for elementary and middle school and that was a bit strict on uniform though. Like we weren't allow to dye our hair or have weird hairstyle and the boys not allow to have piercing. That didn't bother me since my parent have that rules anyway.

When I have kid I probably put them in private school. If I do plan on homeschooling them I will not be the one teaching them. I suck at teaching people. I know the information or how to do it, but I don't know how to explain it to them. When I do have kids I will be living in Korea because that where my bf is from, so I don't know if that will be an option though. Everybody have different experience and opinion concerning schooling. You just have to do your research and hope for the best.
 
D

Deleted member 74

I would and want to say yes but honestly it wouldn't be realistic, I wouldn't have time to teach them properly. I'd obviously just want the best for my kids, I'd want them to be as happy and comfortable as possible in school so if I sent them to school I think I'd prioritise listening to how they feel about school academically and the environment itself.
 
  • Like
Reactions: igloo

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread