Bigger 2nd Gen Icon? CL or Hyuna? (1 Viewer)

Drew_B

.
Joined
2 March 2019
Messages
5,950
Reactions Received
15,071
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
2,849
Fandom
MeU
Gender
Male
I think most people first instinct would be to say CL.

But let's not forget Hyuna was a part of 2 huge girl groups in Wonder Girls and 4Minute. Plus her legendary appearance in "Gangum Style" and her very own legendary song "Bubble Pop".

Both were trendsetters. But who do you think was and still is more iconic today?
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
Today it's Hyuna for sure, CL only just came back while Hyuna has been active and newsworthy the whole time as for overall status then I think it depends on whether you are taking them into account as soloists which Hyuna dominates or group work which CL contributed more to 2NE1 and helped make 2NE1 big as a group while Hyuna was really the only one who became big from 4Minute.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,622
Reactions Received
93,446
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
187,546
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Reported.
hehe Taeyeon and IU are monsters but.
IU owns Korea outright kid can do no wrong. She could have been pimping girls to burning sun and it would get spun positively somehow.
She is so popular that almost every song on her drama ost dominated the charts.
 
Joined
2 January 2019
Messages
1,295
Reactions Received
3,701
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I'm bias lol. But defiantly during the second generation CL and just most known and impactful, CL by far. However most visible last three years of course Hyuna. Waay more established as a soloist icon Hyuna, I think Taeyeon and Sunmi just began to catch up the last few years. CL just came back but frankly her releases in 2019 are already more successful then Hyuna's.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
It‘s difficult.

Hyuna and CL had different kinds of careers. No one can deny the impact of 2NE1 and CL as a leader but Hyuna has made a name for herself way more as an soloist. It really depends on what you are looking at.
 

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
For me, it's probably CL. HyunA is huge as well, but honestly I, as a huge Kpop stan, only enjoy and listen to her group songs. I know HyunA's huge right now, and she's very talented. I think overall, she's more of a trendsetter, especially recently because of her and Dawn dating.

However, I really enjoy CL much more, and I think she is an iconic idol and will stay iconic. I think CL was/is more well-known than HyunA. That may be because she debuted in YG and HyunA debuted in Cube. If you asked me six years ago if I had to choose who's more iconic, I would say CL. I loved 2NE1, but CL's first single was bomb. I think CL's first single was better than HyunA's first single. I listened to 2NE1 but I didn't stan them, so when I found out CL was part of 2NE1 I was amazed. This is my opinion though, and I'm 100% sure it's mostly biased lol. Unbiased, I think HyunA's currently more iconic, but CL is more of a long-term icon.

Actually, If you asked me 6 years ago I would still have been a closeted fan so I wouldn't have answered you :nekosweat:
 
Last edited:

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
.
.
Joined
4 September 2018
Messages
4,702
Reactions Received
16,711
Location
Old Folk's Home
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5,552
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I think HyunA made more of an impact as an established and well known soloist. She had trendy songs like ice cream, etc.

I love CL but if we're talking about being a "2nd gen" icon... She was more known to just be a part of 2NE1... The group stood out for sure as icons in their own right but not as soloists during 2nd gen... It was more in 3rd gen era that she branched out as a soloist.
 

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
.
.
Joined
4 September 2018
Messages
4,702
Reactions Received
16,711
Location
Old Folk's Home
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5,552
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I think HyunA made more of an impact as an established and well known soloist. She had trendy songs like ice cream, etc.

I love CL but if we're talking about being a "2nd gen" icon... She was more known to just be a part of 2NE1... The group stood out for sure as icons in their own right but not as soloists during 2nd gen... It was more in 3rd gen era that she branched out as a soloist.
Oh, I missed the last part of the question. :pepeslippy:

I still think it's HyunA until CL can get a proper redebut out that actually becomes a huge hit. She has had awesome songs recently but I wouldn't call them hits just yet.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread