BTS aren't kpop any more (1 Viewer)

maruberry

🌈✨ FREE HUGS ✨🌈
.
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
13,505
Reactions Received
41,701
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
514
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
I have thought long and hard about this... And I have come to a decision.
I agree that BTS isn't kpop.

And I also think that is why I fell out of love with them.
I love kpop, I love the kpop sound and style, I love the variety shows and humour and everything that comes with it.

And now I looked at BTS and thought about what makes kpop well... kpop for me... and realized BTS doesn't fill most of those categories.

They don't promote like kpop groups do any more.
They don't have the kpop sound any more and have switched it for a much more western and in my opinion generic sound.
They don't clothe like kpop idols and for quite a while now have worn suits or quite simple but trendy clothes for performances.

In my eyes BTS are no longer kpop.
But if I have to ever see the word BTS-pop again I am honest to god burning my eyes out. They are just pop. if the fucking beatles weren't Beatles-pop, if MJ wasn't MJ-pop neither does BTS get their own genre!
 

gongchan

Izz/Phoenix
.
.
Joined
29 August 2018
Messages
3,762
Reactions Received
13,488
Website
theghostofwind.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Bana
Gender
Male
Pronouns
he/him
Ship
Wreck
I can agree, in a way.

They've become so big and they seem to be so busy internationally that a lot of what made them K-Pop artists has changed. When I think of K-Pop, I think of music shows, and that kind of stuff. Nowadays though, when I think of BTS I think of just their Western promotions more so than anything in Korea. I guess they've lost their idol image. I really dislike this happening tbh, but I'm proud of their growth and as long as they're content in what they're doing its fine to me.
 

kinnie

𓇼 ⋆.˚ 𓆉 𓆝 𓆡⋆.˚ 𓇼
.
Joined
13 January 2020
Messages
8,188
Reactions Received
16,643
Location
𓂃𓂃𓂃 ོ ☼
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
4,179
Fandom
bork
Gender
Female
Ship
They are very mainstream now. I'll admit I've dropped them from being my ult. group but that's because I discovered NCT. I still love them but it's complicated. Kind of like a secret you don't want anyone else knowing about but the entire world finds out anyways :(. Because of their popularity, they are only going to work harder which also scares me because we all know they need to take a year off for themselves. It's all over when they start releasing English lyric albums. It's not a bad thing but I feel like they shouldn't feel obligated to sing in English since Korean is their own and it's what makes K-Pop, well K-Pop. BigHit needs to chill.
 

kinnie

𓇼 ⋆.˚ 𓆉 𓆝 𓆡⋆.˚ 𓇼
.
Joined
13 January 2020
Messages
8,188
Reactions Received
16,643
Location
𓂃𓂃𓂃 ོ ☼
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
4,179
Fandom
bork
Gender
Female
Ship
I have thought long and hard about this... And I have come to a decision.
I agree that BTS isn't kpop.

And I also think that is why I fell out of love with them.
I love kpop, I love the kpop sound and style, I love the variety shows and humour and everything that comes with it.

And now I looked at BTS and thought about what makes kpop well... kpop for me... and realized BTS doesn't fill most of those categories.

They don't promote like kpop groups do any more.
They don't have the kpop sound any more and have switched it for a much more western and in my opinion generic sound.
They don't clothe like kpop idols and for quite a while now have worn suits or quite simple but trendy clothes for performances.

In my eyes BTS are no longer kpop.
But if I have to ever see the word BTS-pop again I am honest to god burning my eyes out. They are just pop. if the fucking beatles weren't Beatles-pop, if MJ wasn't MJ-pop neither does BTS get their own genre!
Amen.
:maheart:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Well I personally disagree, since I think kpop is probably one of most vast genres out there. You have edm, rock, ballad, hip hop, folk- and it's all kpop. Rather than not being kpop- aka popular music from Korea, they are just spreading the definition. Them not being kpop to me would mean that they are produced and managed by American, or some other, company, and are based in US or some other country than Korea. But as long as they are korean they are kpop.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
its much easier if youre like me
kpop = pretty asian people singing in korean
see simple no need for debates over music blah blah
 

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
.
.
Joined
4 September 2018
Messages
4,702
Reactions Received
16,711
Location
Old Folk's Home
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5,552
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Well I personally disagree, since I think kpop is probably one of most vast genres out there. You have edm, rock, ballad, hip hop, folk- and it's all kpop. Rather than not being kpop- aka popular music from Korea, they are just spreading the definition. Them not being kpop to me would mean that they are produced and managed by American, or some other, company, and are based in US or some other country than Korea. But as long as they are korean they are kpop.
Yeah, I agree with all of this. They're still based in Korea, produced in Korea, are Korean, sing in Korean, do the typical dancing that kpop is known for, etc. It's only when they go straight up all English and focus entirely in the western world that I'd seriously start questioning them.

They simply specialize in their own "style" in the realm of kpop and not everyone is going to like it.
 

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,595
Reactions Received
43,660
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,408
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
i personally consider anyone k-pop as long as they're a korean pop music group, which BTS obviously are. but i get where you're coming from and i agree that using the term "btspop" can be simply ridiculous :wimwim:
 
  • Like
Reactions: AmysTeri and Sory

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
They're Kpop but they've transcended that label definitely. They're too big to be promoting like other groups now or appearing on varieties and stuff. They've outgrown the industry in a way.
 
  • Like
Reactions: maruberry

maruberry

🌈✨ FREE HUGS ✨🌈
.
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
13,505
Reactions Received
41,701
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
514
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
They're Kpop but they've transcended that label definitely. They're too big to be promoting like other groups now or appearing on varieties and stuff. They've outgrown the industry in a way.
Kinda yes, but in a way it has also been a concious decision on their/their managements part. At least with the things like the outfits being much more tame and "acceptable" for western audiences.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkseid

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Kinda yes, but in a way it has also been a concious decision on their/their managements part. At least with the things like the outfits being much more tame and "acceptable" for western audiences.
Yeah BigHit is following the money, which I can't fault them for. But the group does feel pretty alien compared to the rest of Kpop as a result.
 
  • Like
Reactions: maruberry

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread