Discussion: Should Non East Asians Debut in the Kpop Industry? (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,386
Reactions Received
151,398
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Tbh I don’t care, what I care about is whether they’re talented or good vocally, at dance, ect. I liked ZGirls and not all were east Asian in the group
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: litc and Chaeee
Joined
11 June 2021
Messages
14,519
Reactions Received
22,012
Location
♡
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,629
Fandom
♡
Gender
Female
Pronouns
♡
Ship
Wreck
Tbh I don’t care, what I care about is whether they’re talented or good vocally, at dance, ect. I liked ZGirls and not all were east Asian in the group
Totally agree here! We need more groups like Z Girls in Kpop
 
  • Love
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,386
Reactions Received
151,398
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Totally agree here! We need more groups like Z Girls in Kpop
I think ZGirls are still easier to digest for a lot of kpop fans because they’re all Asian, but if someone who isn’t Asian was in the group it wouldn’t bother me any more either.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Chaeee

Juniverse

Local Backstabber ♡
.
Joined
1 January 2020
Messages
11,006
Reactions Received
21,104
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
498
Fandom
Deobi
Wreck
Honestly I think it's a bit weird but I'm not gonna throw a fit about it if someone like that debuts

And I do think it's a bit hypocritical for people to hate on ppl like Kaachi for not being Korean while stanning Chinese/Japanese/Thai idols. Just because they're Asian doesn't mean they aren't "Koreaboos" too :pepelook:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chaeee
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
No.
Kpop is basically the only entertainment industry where East Asians can be popularly represented and recognized
(I don’t think anime/manga counts for this)
 

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
8,269
Reactions Received
26,625
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
I agree with jimimis here.
I'd prefer it if kpop stayed mostly korean/east asian as currently, it's one of the only forms of pop culture where east asians are represented.
I'm not gonna be mad or throw a fit if a non east asian (who decently knows the culture and language) debuts though. I'll only start to have an issue with it if kpop becomes inundated with these kinds of groups.
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
I mean, I feel like how connected they are to the culture you know? If someone happened to be non-Asian but spent their entire life in East Asia though, I wouldn't see that as a bad thing to have them join a kpop group
 
  • Like
Reactions: litc

litc

❤️NCT Wish❤️
.
.
Joined
2 October 2021
Messages
21,800
Reactions Received
50,582
Location
Listening to Hakmin's angelic voice in Paradise
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,454
Fandom
Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Troublemaker
Ship
Wreck
I’m talking about brown people, white people, etc. who may not have any Asian ancestry.
why do you think they should//should not?:pepesmug:
I want to see the users of KpopSource’s opinion on this.
I mean not all Asians are East Asian. Like Thai people are southeast Asian and there’s quite a few in kpop rn
 

litc

❤️NCT Wish❤️
.
.
Joined
2 October 2021
Messages
21,800
Reactions Received
50,582
Location
Listening to Hakmin's angelic voice in Paradise
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,454
Fandom
Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Troublemaker
Ship
Wreck
No.
Kpop is basically the only entertainment industry where East Asians can be popularly represented and recognized
(I don’t think anime/manga counts for this)
This^

edit: ig other Asians are fine, like the thai idols I mentioned before
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jimimis
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
People would/will complain since its natural to complain about outsiders joining a group that is [for all intents and purposes] monolithic. Would I care if a non-east/south-east Asian person was in a group? Probably not. Would I listen to that group? Probably not since I see it majorly happening to gg and I have a specific list of gg that I listen to, which doesn't extend to the 4th gen and beyond thus far..

The question is less of whether we should let in non-east Asians and more of should there be non-asian westerners in K-pop.
 
Joined
7 August 2019
Messages
402
Reactions Received
741
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
56
Fandom
ya mama
not at all asians have VERY LITTLE representation in western media that isn’t fetishized or made out to be a joke K-pop is one of the FEW places asian people get to shine and be taken seriously
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jimimis and litc
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
i mean why not? fatou rapps better than half of the kpop industry :worry: but then again, not to be too excessive
ok then I can’t wait to see your petitions for luo yunxi to become bollywood’s top star because he acts better than 100% of them :saranghae:
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
not at all asians have VERY LITTLE representation in western media that isn’t fetishized or made out to be a joke K-pop is one of the FEW places asian people get to shine and be taken seriously
Literally the one place where they aren’t the butt of the joke, the one place where they can be seen as desirable
What avenue do East Asians have to be seen in popular culture? Western media won’t let them in. You wouldn’t expect the entertainment industry in Peru or wherever to welcome them

So why does kpop need to? What makes korean music soooo special that every type of person has to be accepted? Why aren’t East Asians allowed to have their own entertainment industry where for once THEY run it and are the norm?

this question just reminds me of the constant spam of “would bts ever marry a [insert country here] girl?!!!” on quora or soemthing. Cringe
 
  • Like
Reactions: BobbyHill and litc

litc

❤️NCT Wish❤️
.
.
Joined
2 October 2021
Messages
21,800
Reactions Received
50,582
Location
Listening to Hakmin's angelic voice in Paradise
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,454
Fandom
Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Troublemaker
Ship
Wreck
Literally the one place where they aren’t the butt of the joke, the one place where they can be seen as desirable
What avenue do East Asians have to be seen in popular culture? Western media won’t let them in. You wouldn’t expect the entertainment industry in Peru or wherever to welcome them

So why does kpop need to? What makes korean music soooo special that every type of person has to be accepted? Why aren’t East Asians allowed to have their own entertainment industry where for once THEY run it and are the norm?

this question just reminds me of the constant spam of “would bts ever marry a [insert country here] girl?!!!” on quora or soemthing. Cringe
Western Asian representation in media sucks so much:lazypotato:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jimimis

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread