Appreciation Eman Recommends: Old Movies (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
Eman Recommends: Old Movies



I grew up on old Abbott & Costello comedy films.

I used to watch them with my father. He loved them. And so then did I.

I loved them so much when I'd go on trips with my father to Colorado to ski, he'd let me bring a little tv/tape player combo in the truck and I'd wrap myself up in my blanket with cocoa beside me in the cup holder and watch their movies back to back in the backseat during the long road trips to the mountains.

Abbott and Costello were a famous comedy duo that started out in radio in the 1930s and then became huge during the 40s and into the 50s, where their films topped the box office.

As an act they fit the "straight man - funny man" double act originated from vaudeville. This is where one individual is the "regular" person and the other is the "comic or foolish" one. The audience is generally meant to identify with the straight man and the comedy derives from the interaction and disparity between the pair.

In Abbott and Costello's act, Abbott is the straight man. And Costello, the funny man.

The pair made a ton of great movies during their run so there's lots to explore.

The pair is great and Costello particularly is really loveable. The situations these guys get in are hilarious and always entertaining.

They find themselves in all sorts of predicaments from becoming cops, to getting married, to being drafted into the Foreign service, to being haunted by ghosts, attacked by Dracula, to chased by The Mummy.

If you like old movies and enjoy good wholesome humor, you'll love their films.

They still hold up today in my opinion.

Here's their most famous skit, Who's On First?, probably the most famous American comedy performance of the 20th century.



And here's a trailer for my favorite film of theirs, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein:




Other favorites of mine:

Hold That Ghost
Buck Privates
In The Navy
Pardon My Sarong
Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy
Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Among others.



Anyway.

I know this most likely won't be a huge hit of a thread.

But I figured I'd share it with you all!

Maybe there's a fellow A&C fan out there. And maybe someone might become a new fan!

:pikahappy:
 
Last edited:
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,679
Reactions Received
93,477
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,868
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
lets see
I dont know - 3rd base...

I love A and C..

Laurel and Hardy also were big favorites.

And if you can find George and Gracie although that was a tv show i saw in like a zillionith rerun.

Danny Kaye court jester/ inspector general are great. White Christmas.
I have entire court jester bits memorized.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Skinnny

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread