Like I said, it's just a guide lol. There are exceptions of course, and opportunities to apply to delay. I just remember Baek saying they couldn't plan anything because they knew he would enlist but not when.
Kai just said on instalive that he only found out today as well so it really just sounds like the military pulled his name out for the next intake last minute and sent him his letter.
Maybe because of the draft dodging they lost a lot of public service workers in a short amount of time so are doing an extra intake earlier than planned to try to cover the shortage.
From all I've seen it looks like everyone has been blindsided by this intake, I don't think it was SM's screw up (although I get the inclination to blame them lol) just the military doing what the military does best, screwing people over lol.