Has Taeyeon Transition From Idol To Artist? (4 Viewers)

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
So I saw this argument in the YT comment section (:pepecross:) between this Sunmi fan and obvs a Taengoo fan. The argument was Sunmi transitioned from Idol to Artist when she wrote and composed her own stuff for Siren and Noir. However, apparently, Taeyeon still has top line producers writing for her and SM still directing her musical path so therefore, she's very much an Idol rather than Artist.
-
What's your take on that argument?
-
For me, I don't think it really matters much if you write your own music or not. I mean sure, it might make the record more personal but I feel like Taeyeon delivers the same emotion through her vocals, regardless of whether those words came out of her thoughts or not. As for the idol/artist thing, tbh I'm not really sure how to answer that. I feel like there's some negative connotation that comes behind saying; "sure Taeyeon is still an idol", which is ridiculous.​
 

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
.
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
17,115
Reactions Received
56,266
Location
spring days
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
honestly, I don't care what she is, because she comes out with BOPS
but it would make songs more personal if she wrote them I guess, I think she's an artist though, she is a wonderful performer, a stunning visual, and a fun character. she knows how to be an idol, and I respect that. <3
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
honestly, I don't care what she is, because she comes out with BOPS
but it would make songs more personal if she wrote them I guess, I think she's an artist though, she is a wonderful performer, a stunning visual, and a fun character. she knows how to be an idol, and I respect that. <3
Yeah she's the perfect idol :pepeheart::pepeheart::pepeheart:
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
That's tough :hmm:
She doesn't contribute to her own stuff but a lot of singers don't.

I personally just don't see her as an idol anymore. She doesn't do fan service, she doesn't really market herself off in an idol way.
She just sings.
She's a singer at the very least, even if you don't consider her an artist.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
That's tough :hmm:
She doesn't contribute to her own stuff but a lot of singers don't.

I personally just don't see her as an idol anymore. She doesn't do fan service, she doesn't really market herself off in an idol way.
She just sings.
She's a singer at the very least, even if you don't consider her an artist.
Yeah it's a tough question to address because she's outgrown the title of idol but due to her lacking in the creation side of her music, you can't really call her an artist either. But, like you said, she's a professional singer and she does one hell of a job with the songs she sings, regardless of whether she made them or not.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,695
Reactions Received
93,493
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,392
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
That's tough :hmm:
She doesn't contribute to her own stuff but a lot of singers don't.

I personally just don't see her as an idol anymore. She doesn't do fan service, she doesn't really market herself off in an idol way.
She just sings.
She's a singer at the very least, even if you don't consider her an artist.
That is not true ...
She does not write music or lyrics but she does contribute.
its the music and lyrics stans who poison the whole argument.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
That is not true ...
She does not write music or lyrics but she does contribute.
its the music and lyrics stans who poison the who argument.
I don't think Taeyeon contributes much in the making of the song but, I remember the V live for My Voice where she said she handpicked all the songs for the album. So I'm guessing she probably does contribute in her musical direction.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
702
Reactions Received
2,084
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
She's way past being an idol now IMO. If everyone that writes their own stuff are called artists, then Pristin became artists when they released their debut mini album. I think it takes more than writing/composing songs to become an artist, it depends on how you handle your activities and if you have a say in the musical direction of your career.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,695
Reactions Received
93,493
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,392
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I don't think Taeyeon contributes much in the making of the song but, I remember the V live for My Voice where she said she handpicked all the songs for the album. So I'm guessing she probably does contribute in her musical direction.
and she may while recording say hey lets do this not this.
And even if its just vocal styling that changes the whole feel of a song.
She likely picks songs from guides and the songs rarely stay the same.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
She's way past being an idol now IMO. If everyone that writes their own stuff are called artists then Pristin became artists when they released their debut mini album. I think it take more than writing/composing songs to become an artist, it depends on how you handle your activities and if you have a say in the musical direction of your career.
Yeah that was the point I was trying to make earlier in my post to @RandAlThor , I'm pretty sure she has a say in her musical direction if SM allowed her to pick the songs for her album. And like you said, artists are people who create. I don't know what Pristin created but it wasn't art :welp:
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
and she may while recording say hey lets do this not this.
And even if its just vocal styling that changes the whole feel of a song.
She likely picks songs from guides and the songs rarely stay the same.
Yeah I remember the V live before I's release, she said she constantly kept making little adjustments to the vocals until she thought it was perfect so I'm pretty sure she has mutual respect from her producers as well.
 
Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
I feel like the word "artist" is quite broad. In my eyes idols are artists, as performing is a form of art even if they don't produce their own songs (and choreos etc). The same goes for the term "idol", you could call many "artists" idols if they are indeed idolized by people - like I wouldn't necessarily disagree if someone called Taylor Swift an idol in some way.

tl;dr labeling is weird and Taeyeon is just Taeyeon. Her value doesn't change whether she's an "idol" or an "artist".
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
702
Reactions Received
2,084
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Yeah that was the point I was trying to make earlier in my post to @RandAlThor , I'm pretty sure she has a say in her musical direction if SM allowed her to pick the songs for her album. And like you said, artists are people who create. I don't know what Pristin created but it wasn't art :welp:


IIRC "Why" only happened because Taeyeon wanted to do a dance track instead of continuing with her iconic slow songs.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I feel like the word "artist" is quite broad. In my eyes idols are artists, as performing is a form of art even if they don't produce their own songs (and choreos etc). The same goes for the term "idol", you could call many "artists" idols if they are indeed idolized by people - like I wouldn't necessarily disagree if someone called Taylor Swift an idol in some way.

tl;dr labeling is weird and Taeyeon is just Taeyeon. Her value doesn't change whether she's an "idol" or an "artist".
I see your point but I think it was Koreans who divided the line between "artists" and "idols" since most of the lyrics idols sing are extremely childish and most of the time, gibberish. Not to mention, their target market is tweens and they also debut at a very young age.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread