Has Taeyeon Transition From Idol To Artist? (4 Viewers)

Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
No. Artists are people who create. Idols are created so you can say the people behind the creation of the groups are artists themselves ^^
I'm curious, why do you only see creating the art as something artists do, but not executing it?
 

Walnutt

The #1 Reveluv
.
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,274
Reactions Received
21,574
Location
Wherever Seulgi wants me to be
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
348
No. Artists are people who create. Idols are created so you can say the people behind the creation of the groups are artists themselves ^^
Screenshot_20190412-154022_Chrome.jpg


I personally prefer this definition of artist. An artist doesn't have to create in order to make it their own. The songs may be written and produced for them but, in my opinion, idols are still artists because their individual talents contribute to the finished product
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I'm curious, why do you only see creating the art as something artists do, but not executing it?
Screenshot_20190412-154022_Chrome.jpg


I personally prefer this definition of artist. An artist doesn't have to create in order to make it their own. The songs may be written and produced for them but, in my opinion, idols are still artists because their individual talents contribute to the finished product
LOL guys I'm only trying to rebuttal your arguments to get a debate going. I don't really give two shits who's an idol and who's not xD.
 

Walnutt

The #1 Reveluv
.
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,274
Reactions Received
21,574
Location
Wherever Seulgi wants me to be
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
348
LOL guys I'm only trying to rebuttal your arguments to get a debate going. I don't really give two shits who's an idol and who's not xD.
I'm not triggered lol. I was enjoying having a debate with you about it
 
Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
LOL guys I'm only trying to rebuttal your arguments to get a debate going. I don't really give two shits who's an idol and who's not xD.
I was honestly curious, not trying to be mean and argue or anything, lol.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I'm not triggered lol. I was enjoying having a debate with you about it
Oh in that case;
Screenshot_20190412-154022_Chrome.jpg


I personally prefer this definition of artist. An artist doesn't have to create in order to make it their own. The songs may be written and produced for them but, in my opinion, idols are still artists because their individual talents contribute to the finished product
Artist by definition are people who create. Idols are molded since the youngest age to become products that appeal to the mass teenage market. They're given a gimmick, they're trained in the way they sing and dance. Most vocals don't even have their own sound, they're given a tone in which they're suppose to train to sound like. Calling them "artist" is questionable since the art was already created and all they had to do was wear and perform it.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I was honestly curious, not trying to be mean and argue or anything, lol.
I will answer ^^
I'm curious, why do you only see creating the art as something artists do, but not executing it?
I mean when you sing someone else's song or dance to someone else's choreography, can you really call yourself an artist?
 
Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
I mean when you sing someone else's song or dance to someone else's choreography, can you really call yourself an artist?
Yeah, exactly. I mean, these people do train for years to execute everything perfectly and in the end they do bring their own colour to the performance, so aren't they in a way a part of the art creating process? Like the creators lay the groundwork and the idols bring the art to life?

At least that's how I see it, I guess it's a bit hard to make out the difference.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Yeah, exactly. I mean, these people do train for years to execute everything perfectly and in the end they do bring their own colour to the performance, so aren't they in a way a part of the art creating process? Like the creators lay the groundwork and the idols bring the art to life?

At least that's how I see it, I guess it's a bit hard to make out the difference.
That's my point though. They don't have a "color". That "color" is constructed by the company for them. Everything, and I mean everything down to the words they say is decided for them beforehand. Only after like 3-4 years of being an idol are they allowed some breathing space.

It's hard to make out the difference. Like I said in my OP, labeling someone as an idol and not an artist comes with stigma, which is ridiculous because idols work just as hard as anyone else to their jobs well.
 
Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
That's my point though. They don't have a "color". That "color" is constructed by the company for them. Everything, and I mean everything down to the words they say is decided for them beforehand. Only after like 3-4 years of being an idol are they allowed some breathing space.

It's hard to make out the difference. Like I said in my OP, labeling someone as an idol and not an artist comes with stigma, which is ridiculous because idols work just as hard as anyone else to their jobs well.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Some companies obviously let their groups participate more than others, so it's hard to group them all under the same label. Not to mention that we don't know how much happens behind the scenes and who actually participates and how much. Hard to say.

Let's just love everyone equally and give up the labels. :pandasad:
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Yeah, I see what you mean. Some companies obviously let their groups participate more than others, so it's hard to group them all under the same label. Not to mention that we don't know how much happens behind the scenes and who actually participates and how much. Hard to say.

Let's just love everyone equally and give up the labels. :pandasad:
Yesssss :sanapray::sanapray::sanapray::sanapray:
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,695
Reactions Received
93,493
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,392
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
No. Artists are people who create. Idols are created so you can say the people behind the creation of the groups are artists themselves ^^
I do not agree with this.
Almost every single opera/ musical performer in existence let alone the recording artists fits that description.

Your definition is too narrow.

Webster has
artist
noun
art·ist | \ ˈär-tist \
Definition of artist

1a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts
barchaic : PHYSICIAN
carchaic : ARTISAN sense 1
2a: one who professes and practices an imaginative art
b: a person skilled in one of the fine arts
3: a skilled performer
especially : ARTISTE
4: one who is adept at something
con artist
strikeout artist

if i may add. An artist also brings work to life. words/ music on a page may be art, but the synergy between
the vocalist, the dance, the team, the expressions and all the other aspects of preforming create.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I do not agree with this.
Almost every single opera/ musical star in existence let alone the recording artists fits that description.
Your definition is too narrow.
Webster has
artist
noun
art·ist | \ ˈär-tist \
Definition of artist

1a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts
barchaic : PHYSICIAN
carchaic : ARTISAN sense 1
2a: one who professes and practices an imaginative art
b: a person skilled in one of the fine arts
3: a skilled performer
especially : ARTISTE
4: one who is adept at something
con artist
strikeout artist

if i may add. An artist also brings work to life. words music on a page may be art, but the synergy between
the vocalist, the dance, the team, the expressions and all the other aspects of preforming create.
I agree. BUT, for the sake of debate I was disagreeing xD
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
honestly who care about categories when it comes to Taeyeon or SNSD? The music speaks for itself. And really anyone that sings with such emotions like Taeyeon deserves respect by everyone.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,675
Reactions Received
13,340
Location
Idol Hell
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I think so. I mean, plenty of singers don’t compose their own music. Besides, she’s really matured a lot since her idol days and she’s found her direction and what type of music she wants to be singing. If that’s not being an artist then I don’t know what is.

Honestly, I don’t really think it’s fair to call SNSD an “idol group” anymore. They're just a group. All of the girls have really become adults and have found what paths they want to go down. They’ve grown up a lot.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread