How do you know if a song is actually good? (2 Viewers)

Joined
12 January 2021
Messages
67
Reactions Received
120
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
In the earlier days of kpop if a song gained lots of views and charted on music charts it was deem a popular and good song.

In recent times, if a fandom is big enough they can stream songs and it will gain lots of views and the fandom can chart the songs in a short amount of time even if the song isn’t really that good.

What are your thoughts on this?
How do you determine the quality of music?
Do you think it’s a company strategy?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
I really don’t get it :pepesmug: If I listen to any song enough times then I get Stockholm syndrome and start liking it
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Cute story: I once said on k-pop forum that just because x group was popular didn't mean they were good. My reason was because a lot of stans I was noticing were saying that more popular groups were good and that their popularity proved that and as such less popular groups weren't as good... Anyway pressed stans told me to f--k off as they did not really understand my point.

I don't think we should even localize this to k-pop since I'm sure we can all think of popular western songs that we extremely hate and even artists. I won't mention any since I don't want a wp for shading artists... but we know who I'm talking about. But to the point: there are groups or artists that I could mention from prior generations that weren't as well known that you may not know if you didn't come into k-pop during that time period, such as Heo Young Saeng; while if I mention Taeyeon or Junsu you would know what I was referring to... it Doesn't mean that Taeyeon and Junsu are better musicians than Heo Young Saeng because they are more popular. Some people [hipsters] will maintain that the best musicians are the more obscure ones. That isn't true either.

Lets try an exercise to prove a point. Lets say that popular = good. There was a group called Bom that was short lived. Given that they disbanded rather quickly and have not attained to an enhanced level of popularity they must have sucked, right??? Well you'd have to say that Mino from Winner isn't talented because before he debuted with Winner he was a member of BoM..
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,541
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
In the earlier days of kpop if a song gained lots of views and charted on music charts it was deem a popular and good song.

In recent times, if a fandom is big enough they can stream songs and it will gain lots of views and the fandom can chart the songs in a short amount of time even if the song isn’t really that good.

What are your thoughts on this?
How do you determine the quality of music?
Do you think it’s a company strategy?
if i like it its good if i dont. I do not care if it has a billion views and paks up the ying yang its still not good. :)

now if you are asking if its a hit....

That target is moving all the time, and the metrics that were used are now not very reliable.
Take UL toping melon used to take 1.4 mill or 700k daily ul now it is a fraction of that.

or take gaon year end digital which is super new any way.
last year 6 songs broke 800mill.
29 500mill which used to be near the bottom of hit land. for reference both dolphin and nonstop are in that range last year.

http://gaonchart.co.kr/main/section...Gbn=ALL&termGbn=year&hitYear=2020&year_time=3
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: CherryBomb345

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I think it has always been more or less big fandoms streaming. But I guess I get that nowadays it might be hard for less popular groups song to hit big numbers even if they make soty worthy song. Blackpink and bts have become wall of their own at least if looking at views.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread