- Joined
- 4 December 2018
- Messages
- 3,200
- Reactions Received
- 11,455
- Location
- USA
- Website
- emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 205
- Fandom
- Once, Sone
- Gender
- Male
How Essential Is Animation Quality To You?
As a newcomer to anime.
I've noticed a difference between me and many of the fans of the medium.
For many animation quality is huge.
Berserk 2016 was derided for its animation and many Berserk fans cite that as one of the reasons to avoid it and why in their opinion it's terrible.
Also with the original 1997 adaptation. The more rudimentary animation is often disparaged.
These flaws in animation are often pointed to as "ruining" the experience.
Maybe it's weird to say of a visual medium, but I honestly don't have those issues. As long as the animation is good enough to evoke the emotion. I care much less whether it's top notch.
I'm much more concerned with the story and characters. The tone and music, etc.
The animation feeds into that of course but it's not deal breaking for me.
Berserk 1997 cut a lot of corners in its animation but I still hold it up as a masterwork in storytelling. Berserk 2016, while not nearly as good as the 1997 version, still connected with me and was immensely enjoyable.
Maybe that will change as I get more into anime. But at this point I'm not as greatly concerned with having the most beautiful or top of the line animation.
If they tell a good story and all the other elements are there. I'm good. I can lose myself in it.
What about you?
As a newcomer to anime.
I've noticed a difference between me and many of the fans of the medium.
For many animation quality is huge.
Berserk 2016 was derided for its animation and many Berserk fans cite that as one of the reasons to avoid it and why in their opinion it's terrible.
Also with the original 1997 adaptation. The more rudimentary animation is often disparaged.
These flaws in animation are often pointed to as "ruining" the experience.
Maybe it's weird to say of a visual medium, but I honestly don't have those issues. As long as the animation is good enough to evoke the emotion. I care much less whether it's top notch.
I'm much more concerned with the story and characters. The tone and music, etc.
The animation feeds into that of course but it's not deal breaking for me.
Berserk 1997 cut a lot of corners in its animation but I still hold it up as a masterwork in storytelling. Berserk 2016, while not nearly as good as the 1997 version, still connected with me and was immensely enjoyable.
Maybe that will change as I get more into anime. But at this point I'm not as greatly concerned with having the most beautiful or top of the line animation.
If they tell a good story and all the other elements are there. I'm good. I can lose myself in it.
What about you?