- Joined
- 4 December 2018
- Messages
- 3,200
- Reactions Received
- 11,455
- Location
- USA
- Website
- emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 205
- Fandom
- Once, Sone
- Gender
- Male
Humphrey Bogart Has It All Backwards
Sabrina.
1954.
My favorite Audrey Hepburn film.
Love it.
Except they got it all backwards.
The whole show is predicated on the idea that Sabrina "improves" when she comes back from Paris, cuts her hair and starts dressing and acting like a sophisticated woman.
That somehow she was unsuitable before (as a dress wearing chauffer's daughter) and after suddenly people (and suitors) start noticing her and how she's suddenly interesting and pretty.
As Wikipedia puts it:
"she returns home as an attractive and sophisticated woman"
Returns attractive?
By God she returns worse!
I mean don't get me wrong. I love all Audreys.
But I just ain't on the same page as circa 1950s era idolization of the sophisticated Harper's Bazaar Long Island ideal woman.
Early movie Sabrina up in a tree, her long gorgeous hair tied in a bow, in a long pretty dress with dirt smudged on her wide eyed face under the moonlight is so far superior to "improved" Sabrina I nearly laugh every time I watch the show (despite enjoying it so).
Sabrina on a yacht?
Nah.
Give me the chauffers daughter. She's too pretty for words.
"Improved" Sabrina
The Chauffer's Daughter AKA Eman's Pick
Good. Lord. 1950s people are crazy.
Sabrina.
1954.
My favorite Audrey Hepburn film.
Love it.
Except they got it all backwards.
The whole show is predicated on the idea that Sabrina "improves" when she comes back from Paris, cuts her hair and starts dressing and acting like a sophisticated woman.
That somehow she was unsuitable before (as a dress wearing chauffer's daughter) and after suddenly people (and suitors) start noticing her and how she's suddenly interesting and pretty.
As Wikipedia puts it:
"she returns home as an attractive and sophisticated woman"
Returns attractive?
By God she returns worse!
I mean don't get me wrong. I love all Audreys.
But I just ain't on the same page as circa 1950s era idolization of the sophisticated Harper's Bazaar Long Island ideal woman.
Early movie Sabrina up in a tree, her long gorgeous hair tied in a bow, in a long pretty dress with dirt smudged on her wide eyed face under the moonlight is so far superior to "improved" Sabrina I nearly laugh every time I watch the show (despite enjoying it so).
Sabrina on a yacht?
Nah.
Give me the chauffers daughter. She's too pretty for words.
"Improved" Sabrina
The Chauffer's Daughter AKA Eman's Pick
Good. Lord. 1950s people are crazy.