I don't know her (1 Viewer)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,540
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Hmm.. I don't listen to COB much, but I do like Janne. Janne from COB is a closet Britney fan.. which I thought was interesting, especially when they covered Oops I did it again.. lol. I found it interesting, but a lot of metal musicians have said that they like other genres such as Fenriz from Darkthrone who likes House music.. I digress. Which makes it even more funny when metalheads throw hissy fits when fans like music other than metal. Also, I have a couple Dimmu cds.. People rag on their newest stuff, but I like it even though it contrasts from their earlier work. A lot of my family would think I was possessed by Satan because of their lyrical themes if they knew I liked them though :lisalaugh: :lisalaugh:

I prob listen to more fantasy like stuff. Lord of the Rings/Forgotten Realms related like Blind Guardian esque. Off topic but @RandAlThor I noticed that a lot of fantasy books focus on older pre-industrial eras of history. Ever read any good fantasy books that have that feel, but have some of the modern aspects of life (i.e. Cars). I also feel that fantasy (series that focus on fictional countries) tend to have a governmental system that seems more middle aged than modern..
Jim butchers Dresden series is set in the now mostly, but many( of the fantasy races run older style governments mostly king/queendoms.) the wizards are a semi elected age restricted committee.

Harry potter did have a ministry and it was spectacularly ineffective and corrupt.

Sci fi like say speaker for the dead might have that feel.
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Harry potter did have a ministry and it was spectacularly ineffective and corrupt.
Maybe I have a too high brow taste, but the more I think of HP the more it seems like a beginner fantasy. The fantastic beasts movies were more intesting than the books imo.. And a lot of people have put a lot of effort in head canons about characters that are not that much delved into or not characters at all in the story [such as the Marauders]...

I don't really like the mail delivery and many of the magic system either. Owls as mail delivery? What about using fire as a delivery medium.. I've seen in movies using spells that transferred notes to peoples pockets. Owls would take longer than a spell would.. Seems it would be more efficient. Also, there doesn't seem to be that much of nuance between good and evil that exists in other fantasy. Like killing a child that a seer has determined will cause a mass genocide in the future in a fantasy would be something you'd see in a fantasy series that would be unheard of in HP.. Or killing a human for magic that would destroy a powerful foe.. It just seems in HP that morals are focused on the act more than the intent. Mind control is considered evil no matter what. I took two semesters of philosphy as part of my humanities minor in uni and I found consequentialism a better system than deontology and HP ethics seems to rely on deontology a little too much. lol

Jim butchers Dresden series is set in the now mostly
I'll check it out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Shagrath to me seems similar to Dani.. and there are similar themes in COF and Dimmu... Musical Stylings is subjective and changing in COF and even they wouldn't say they are considered BM and rely on the label of Extreme Metal.

I'd need to dig out my CDs or worse, look into my old iPod which may be dead by now.
Ah the Ipod. I still have mine. 160gb that I haven't even got close to filling. But what do you mean dead? Like battery or entirely unfunctional?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Shagrath to me seems similar to Dani.. and there are similar themes in COF and Dimmu... Musical Stylings is subjective and changing in COF and even they wouldn't say they are considered BM and rely on the label of Extreme Metal.


Ah the Ipod. I still have mine. 160gb that I haven't even got close to filling. But what do you mean dead? Like battery or entirely unfunctional?
I used to listen to Thornography and Nimphetamine albums, and I bought whatever I found on Amazon on Dimmu Borgir after buying the special packaged In Sorte Diaboli album.

I also liked this other band which was all female, an odd finding back then.

 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,540
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Maybe I have a too high brow taste, but the more I think of HP the more it seems like a beginner fantasy. The fantastic beasts movies were more intesting than the books imo.. And a lot of people have put a lot of effort in head canons about characters that are not that much delved into or not characters at all in the story [such as the Marauders]...

I don't really like the mail delivery and many of the magic system either. Owls as mail delivery? What about using fire as a delivery medium.. I've seen in movies using spells that transferred notes to peoples pockets. Owls would take longer than a spell would.. Seems it would be more efficient. Also, there doesn't seem to be that much of nuance between good and evil that exists in other fantasy. Like killing a child that a seer has determined will cause a mass genocide in the future in a fantasy would be something you'd see in a fantasy series that would be unheard of in HP.. Or killing a human for magic that would destroy a powerful foe.. It just seems in HP that morals are focused on the act more than the intent. Mind control is considered evil no matter what. I took two semesters of philosphy as part of my humanities minor in uni and I found consequentialism a better system than deontology and HP ethics seems to rely on deontology a little too much. lol


I'll check it out.
That mostly because jkr was a rookie and a bad writer, but she captured a generation and got them to read. so i cut her a lost of slack i just take her work as a child like attempt at story telling. If, like you say you apply some thought to her systems they quickly fall apart.
Would any school keep a Snape or a fitch for example. Let alone a Umbridge.
JKR has a shallow view of the world and it shows in her work.
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Ah the Ipod. I still have mine. 160gb that I haven't even got close to filling. But what do you mean dead? Like battery or entirely unfunctional?
I missed this part........... I still have it, but it has been so long since the last time I used it that I don't know if it still works. It's old, a third generation one.
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
JKR has a shallow view of the world and it shows in her work.
I agree to an extent. I wouldn't say she's a bad writer. I leave that domain to Meyer and JR Ward. The main character of Dark Lover is having sex two days after being almost raped.. Yea.. no..

HP until book 4 seems like a kids book as it probably is. The Holocaust similies of book 4 and beyond put it in a more adult range. Snape is trash, but makes sense since bullied people do [in some cases] develop a sense of superiority and start bullying others. But I hated that Harry named one of his kids after Snape. It was ridiculous. He held some animous toward Percy after all those years, but was able to both forgive and honor snape who bullied him and his friends for years? Thats bulls**t.. And why is none of their kids named after the Weasley's who were more dominant parental and siblings to harry than his dead parents and godparent?

And some of the characters go to great lengths to justify their hypocrisy. I think she's a good writer for what she writes, but some characters in her book should eat humble pie.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
I missed this part........... I still have it, but it has been so long since the last time I used it that I don't know if it still works. It's old, a third generation one.
Oh wow. That's old. But they probably last for days given that you wouldn't have to deal with an android device that drains within four hours. lol
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,540
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I agree to an extent. I wouldn't say she's a bad writer. I leave that domain to Meyer and JR Ward. The main character of Dark Lover is having sex two days after being almost raped.. Yea.. no..

HP until book 4 seems like a kids book as it probably is. The Holocaust similies of book 4 and beyond put it in a more adult range. Snape is trash, but makes sense since bullied people do [in some cases] develop a sense of superiority and start bullying others. But I hated that Harry named one of his kids after Snape. It was ridiculous. He held some animous toward Percy after all those years, but was able to both forgive and honor snape who bullied him and his friends for years? Thats bulls**t.. And why is none of their kids named after the Weasley's who were more dominant parental and siblings to harry than his dead parents and godparent?

And some of the characters go to great lengths to justify their hypocrisy. I think she's a good writer for what she writes, but some characters in her book should eat humble pie.
Agreed.
She did learn as she wrote the books but her blind spots are still solid. Mostly from her political leanings yet dementors as guard's how insane is that. Creatures who torture and psychically rape / feed on the inmates and that is cool/ acceptable to her base government. Sure she positioned the hero's against them but accountability was wack in her world.
a tiny handful of death eater's completely destroy the balance, and even then few of them were punished after wave one.


I really hate her lets kill everyone so i don't have to deal with it ending too.
There were some strong messages in the series but flaws aplenty.
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
But they probably last for days given that you wouldn't have to deal with an android device that drains within four hours. lol
Yes, the battery was really long lasting. I never has used an iPod touch or an iPhone; and I have not used any android device to listen to music.

Also.... a comment on black metal vs extreme metal. I have never been a "purist" so I have never cared for those labels. What I like, I like. It's quite simple.
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Creatures who torture and psychically rape / feed on the inmates and that is cool/ acceptable to her base government
Also, perhaps I'm not too hip to the universe, but it seem like the Dementors would be a construction rather than something that naturally occurred in the wizarding world since they seem too powerful to be domesticated for specific goals. Also, the fact that Sirius Black was framed to have killed 12 muggles seems as something that would have warranted having his head chopped off or a hanging..

a tiny handful of death eater's completely destroy the balance, and even then few of them were punished after wave one.
The Malfoys included.. Those Death Eaters who happened to disavow Voldy just prior to him being dead. While wizarding world is not in muggle world it still remains enough similar to it. In any age, preindustrial, middle ages, iron age, etc.. they would, most likely, have been executed. I'm sure there's something in Code of Hummerabi that would warrant that in Near East cultures.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,540
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Also, perhaps I'm not too hip to the universe, but it seem like the Dementors would be a construction rather than something that naturally occurred in the wizarding world since they seem too powerful to be domesticated for specific goals. Also, the fact that Sirius Black was framed to have killed 12 muggles seems as something that would have warranted having his head chopped off or a hanging..


The Malfoys included.. Those Death Eaters who happened to disavow Voldy just prior to him being dead. While wizarding world is not in muggle world it still remains enough similar to it. In any age, preindustrial, middle ages, iron age, etc.. they would, most likely, have been executed. I'm sure there's something in Code of Hummerabi that would warrant that in Near East cultures.
she is big into Amnesty international but she had some odd constructs dementors death gates ect, but that likely explains the lack of death for the bad guys.
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
she is big into Amnesty international but she had some odd constructs dementors death gates ect, but that likely explains the lack of death for the bad guys.
She's a bit weird when it comes to involving politics in her work when it need not or where there is no evidence it ever existed. Saying Dumbledore is gay in 2007 was pointless. Says she never mentioned Hermione's race when it has been said that she was consulted when info on characters were unclear. If she wanted to give non-white characters a bigger role she could have wrote a series of stories/one-shots about Cho Chang, Blaise Zabini, Dean Thomas... like Cassie Clare did with Magnus Bane from Mortal Instruments. Personally, I would have liked some sort of spin off with Kingsley.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,540
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
She's a bit weird when it comes to involving politics in her work when it need not or where there is no evidence it ever existed. Saying Dumbledore is gay in 2007 was pointless. Says she never mentioned Hermione's race when it has been said that she was consulted when info on characters were unclear. If she wanted to give non-white characters a bigger role she could have wrote a series of stories/one-shots about Cho Chang, Blaise Zabini, Dean Thomas... like Cassie Clare did with Magnus Bane from Mortal Instruments. Personally, I would have liked some sort of spin off with Kingsley.
yep.
 
  • Like
Reactions: raymondchouku
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,540
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Plus.. Oh how do I put this.. Isn't a death penalty for merciful than life imprisonment.
by dementors no less. particularly for like the kid who ended up the bad guy in book 4. heck more merciful to cover em in honey and stake em out in the sun on a fire ant hill. Dementors are an especially awful and twisted idea, although i guess it sells the idea that going to prison is bad :)
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
although i guess it sells the idea that going to prison is bad :)
There is a social theory [Rational Choice Theory] which posits that intense fear of punishment and also increasing severity of punishment will deter crime. Perhaps JKR had read some criminological texts while writing POA...
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
@RandAlThor but I do wonder if JKR thought her intended audience (children at the time of POA) would delve that deeply into the idea of dementors. But I wonder in HP universe what happens to those guilty of robbery. Or a pyramid scheme. Someone getting the same punishment for a white-collar crime and mass murder seems dumb as f**k
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread