I don't know her (1 Viewer)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,540
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
@RandAlThor but I do wonder if JKR thought her intended audience (children at the time of POA) would delve that deeply into the idea of dementors. But I wonder in HP universe what happens to those guilty of robbery. Or a pyramid scheme. Someone getting the same punishment for a white-collar crime and mass murder seems dumb as f**k
monsters that suck your soul out, terrify a person the way they did harry and that was book 3...
 
  • Haha
Reactions: raymondchouku
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
monsters that suck your soul out, terrify a person the way they did harry and that was book 3...
I mean in the Middle Ages they even had nuance to punishment. Chopping off hands for robbery is excessive, but there was still a gradation of punishment given the crime. Going back to Hammerabi, there are statutes where one is to give restitution in the form of $$$ for minor crimes, removal of limbs for intermediate ones, and death for severe crimes.

I'm also a bit fuzzy as it comes to the later books in the series, but I do believe that there was corruption in the ministry. It would have been an interesting sub-plot to have suppression of free thought be considered where the ones who openly criticized the ministry had their tongues cut out. She could have added a political slant here that would teach children the importance of free speech [something every rational person can agree is necessary for a civilized society]. But perhaps that would take away from the Voldemort storyline too much. lol
 
  • Haha
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
I gonna tag you @LoveYooShaSha. What do you think: Are soul sucking monsters a cruel way to punish criminals in fantasy fiction?

Also, to keep on topic before @Vikki shuts us down: How well do you think I feel I know you?
 
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,133
Reactions Received
52,996
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
173,650
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
I gonna tag you @LoveYooShaSha. What do you think: Are soul sucking monsters a cruel way to punish criminals in fantasy fiction?
To me it seems pretty obvious she made up stuff as she went along; books 1~3 seemed pretty set up from early on n seem rlly basic compared to 4~7 (but i couldnt read the later books more than 1 or 2 times, whereas i musta read 1~3 at least a few(maybe 2 or 3 while waiting for books 5~7) times (first time b4 the movies were out cos for some reason my dad bought 1~3 n i "borrowed" 'em <n nvr returned em/passed em on to my teen nephews along with 4~7{i think}.

If she had thot of memory/mind/thot erase-ment spells b4 bk 3, would she hv conceived of memory/mind earse-ment as a punishment instead?

I think she was unaware of most fantasy tropes from past works, which had good n bad points: dementors seem quite original(not sure if Gormenghast had similar beings).

I dont think bks 4~7 mesh well with 1~3, but i mostly like movies 1~8 (mostly). But i rlly like Katherine Waterston; Jacob n Queenie (3 different ppl) in FB movies. They 'feel' "fresh" n original to me. Most of rest of story n characters r stock n formulaic to me tho.

A modern-ish industrial fantasy is "iron dragon's daughter" tho iv forgotten most of wat happens.

Also, to keep on topic before @Vikki shuts us down: How well do you think I feel I know you?
4~5 i think cos i dont mention a lot of stuff im a fan of (like comics, books, movies, tv shows, western/non kpop asian music). How much from 0~10 do u think i know u?
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
The haircuts in the 4th movie ruins any re-readings of book 4 imo.. lol.. But books 4-7 tend to be more dense and less childlike. Although, I do think starting in POA it started to be less of a kids series. Even the way that Sirius and Remus interact at the end of book 3 seems a bit compared to flashbacks in book 5 and book 7.

I think she was unaware of most fantasy tropes from past works, which had good n bad points: dementors seem quite original(not sure if Gormenghast had similar beings).
Yeah. I think so too. She was criticized for having similarities to Roald Dahl's James & the Giant Peach and Matilda, which would be furthered if Harry was adopted by the Weasley's which would have been a good thing to happen since I didn't really see any purpose in him Marrying Ginny Weasley other than further ingraining himself in that family. He very well could have married Hermione.

She also failed to show the psychological effects of sustained physical and emotional abuse on a child's sense of self. Should harry have been that well adjusted for someone who was being degraded on the daily.

4~5 i think cos i dont mention a lot of stuff im a fan of (like comics, books, movies, tv shows, western/non kpop asian music). How much from 0~10 do u think i know u?
Well:
  • We've talked through comments on profile for more than trading.
  • I know you are a gg stan.. Although, most straight men who like k-pop prefer ggs, but I do know some of your top groups nonetheless.
  • I know you prefer to be private and not share everything on your mind.
  • You like fantasy, which is why I tagged you. I think you like Isaac Asimov too.
  • For some reason I think you would/do dislike socialites who are famous for no other reason than being rich and lack any discernable talents..
  • And... I think you prefer Apink over RV... or maybe thats just me projecting. lol

So I'd say a 8-9.
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Probably about a 2 as I doubt you know me that well
I'd say a 4. I have posted in enough of your threads and you have posted in enough of my threads for me to recognize you when you post.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abeamus
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,133
Reactions Received
52,996
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
173,650
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
The haircuts in the 4th movie ruins any re-readings of book 4 imo.. lol.. But books 4-7 tend to be more dense and less childlike. Although, I do think starting in POA it started to be less of a kids series. Even the way that Sirius and Remus interact at the end of book 3 seems a bit compared to flashbacks in book 5 and book 7.
But POA was still simplistic imo compared to complexity/density of 4~7, much like speculation/discussion of Jessica Jung's "Bright"; which is widely believed to be ghost-written or a collaboration, at least-i could believe tat a ghost-writer/co-writer/co-plotter was brought in for bks 4~7(famously i know of William Shatner's TekWar as ghost-written) but i could be totally wrong n she level-up on bks 4~7. The Cormorant Strike/Casual Vacancy (which i hvnt read) read as more mature than HP.

Yeah. I think so too. She was criticized for having similarities to Roald Dahl's James & the Giant Peach and Matilda, which would be furthered if Harry was adopted by the Weasley's which would have been a good thing to happen since I didn't really see any purpose in him Marrying Ginny Weasley other than further ingraining himself in that family. He very well could have married Hermione.

She also failed to show the psychological effects of sustained physical and emotional abuse on a child's sense of self. Should harry have been that well adjusted for someone who was being degraded on the daily.
I actually dont hv much/any comments on HP on a deeper level, just as i dont think deeply on 3 investigators, hardy boys or enid blyton books which i read as a kid. Even most fantasy/sf books im not tat literary minded. I think a bit about such but not v. deeply.


Well:
  • We've talked through comments on profile for more than trading.
  • I know you are a gg stan.. Although, most straight men who like k-pop prefer ggs, but I do know some of your top groups nonetheless.
  • I know you prefer to be private and not share everything on your mind.
  • You like fantasy, which is why I tagged you. I think you like Isaac Asimov too.
  • For some reason I think you would/do dislike socialites who are famous for no other reason than being rich and lack any discernable talents..
  • And... I think you prefer Apink over RV... or maybe thats just me projecting. lol

So I'd say a 8-9.
1 Up to 4 are accurate, 5 = true to an extent till i got blasé/numbed by insta/tiktok celebs n try not to think abt it too mich any more/even from 2000~on, i watched Paris Hilton on free tv b4 cable/satellite/dvds/streaming n was fascinated by the banality/mundane-ness/normal-ity smh, same with Ozzy/Osbournes/Kimora Simmons/Kardashians/ANTM/Project Runway/Amazing Race/Survivor/AI/XF/AGT/BGT/others but i nvr searched/watched whole seasons.so not truly except i thot i believed it but i watched anyways(maybe in the 90s b4 i watched Survivor/Paris Hilton i thot i believed it). When Real World/Big Brother was first on but i nvr watched any, even till now. I did watch Australia's Popstars or watever it was called (Bardot) n O-Town. So before n after was different mind-set for me.

As for Apink vs RV, Irene is my bias in RV:I&S but i like/listen casually/prefer as in would choose to listen to RV more than Apink but overall dont stan either, only know more/some interest in Wendy/Eunji but not on stan level. Im too used to western music, genetal/intense/fluctuating interest levels; i cant specify except i know/listened/rmbr more RV songs, cos of recency/SM bias i cant judge/elucidate accurately. I mean as a SNSD stan, id be more attracted to RV tho i dont stan fx either. Its too complicated, its more personal feeling or completely up to chance, LOL. I cant explain more/better than this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: raymondchouku

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread