I'm curious what they classify as metal (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,396
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Maybe Crashday by Crash? Bursters aren't metal imo though they have some influences, but I can literally only think of one song that would count as metal on my playlist unless they do count Bursters as metal, which I don't think they would because I think they count as k-rock :dubuthink:
1633117961210.png


Stream btw
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
It very much sounds like System of a Down. And I was forced to listen to that band ad nauseum when I was a child, so I'd know. lol.. It also seems to take some inspiration from 80s thrash metal. To be honest though Linkin Park, KoRn, and other bands are considered to be metal [by some] and this sounds to be harder than likin park, so...

One thing that suggests its metal is that fact that the lyrical matter matches that of typical heavy metal lyrics. Not about love and typical subjects, but rather about society, fantastical themes, tragedy, death, et cetera. . . and I just realized you were talking about bursters when saying they are not metal. lmao...

I did listen to Bursters and can wholeheartedly agree they are not metal. Wikipedia places them as metalcore. I listened to their singles and they seem pop act with rock influences. I'd say Day6 is harder than them, but wouldn't say day6 is metalcore, so... but there is a ongoing heated debate and metalcore and metal and I kinda don't want to go into that, so... But I have noticed that bands that are metalcore or hard rock may be lumped in with metal depending on the streaming platform. As these platforms are typically run by big suits who probably don't have respect for the intricacies differentiating music genres, I am not surprised that Bursters would be considered metal. lol..

Uh.. I have gone on for too long.. Can longer posts count as 2 or 3 posts for the daily requirements :lisalaugh:

tagging @RandAlThor because I know he has varried interest in music that likely stretches back to include classic metal (e.g., Sabbath, Maiden, Dio, Priest) and Thrash (e.g., Testament, Exodus, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer) and could give a nuanced opinion... and @Yachii because she is obviously more of a metal fan these days than she is a k-pop.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,396
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
It very much sounds like System of a Down. And I was forced to listen to that band ad nauseum when I was a child, so I'd know. lol.. It also seems to take some inspiration from 80s thrash metal. To be honest though Linkin Park, KoRn, and other bands are considered to be metal [by some] and this sounds to be harder than likin park, so...

One thing that suggests its metal is that fact that the lyrical matter matches that of typical heavy metal lyrics. Not about love and typical subjects, but rather about society, fantastical themes, tragedy, death, et cetera. . . and I just realized you were talking about bursters when saying they are not metal. lmao...

I did listen to Bursters and can wholeheartedly agree they are not metal. Wikipedia places them as metalcore. I listened to their singles and they seem pop act with rock influences. I'd say Day6 is harder than them, but wouldn't say day6 is metalcore, so... but there is a ongoing heated debate and metalcore and metal and I kinda don't want to go into that, so... But I have noticed that bands that are metalcore or hard rock may be lumped in with metal depending on the streaming platform. As these platforms are typically run by big suits who probably don't have respect for the intricacies differentiating music genres, I am not surprised that Bursters would be considered metal. lol..

Uh.. I have gone on for too long.. Can longer posts count as 2 or 3 posts for the daily requirements :lisalaugh:

tagging @RandAlThor because I know he has varried interest in music that likely stretches back to include classic metal (e.g., Sabbath, Maiden, Dio, Priest) and Thrash (e.g., Testament, Exodus, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer) and could give a nuanced opinion... and @Yachii because she is obviously more of a metal fan these days than she is a k-pop.
I'm curious what Bursters songs you've listened to, I'd say most of them go harder than Day6 no question, with a couple exceptions. :susPepe:
Ngl I don't really listen to metal enough to know the intricacies and debates within the fandoms aout what counts and what doesn't, but I guess it makes sense if they're considered metalcore that they might be considered metal, even if they're not. I guess the rock part of my genres would be Day6, FTIsland, NFlying, ect which would make up a significant amount of my listening like it says it does.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
I'm curious what Bursters songs you've listened to, I'd say most of them go harder than Day6 no question, with a couple exceptions.
What I'd listened to







Then I am now listening to :


​

well this is odd.. Am I listening to the same group/band.. It sounds radically different. I am so confused.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,396
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
What I'd listened to







Then I am now listening to :


​

well this is odd.. Am I listening to the same group/band.. It sounds radically different. I am so confused.
You listened to the few exceptions :lisalaugh:
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Ngl I don't really listen to metal enough to know the intricacies and debates within the fandoms aout what counts and what doesn't
It can be rather exhausting so its good that you aren't dealing with that.. but cliffnotes version: Heavy metal fans [called metalheads] have a sub class of fans who make exclusionary criteria for what is and isn't metal and like to call fans of certain bands poseurs and not real metalheads.. For these people being a fan of metal is more of a lifestyle than a general music taste. It is given that there would be some gatekeeping since it is a sub-culture that was demonized heavily in decades past, but elitist metalheads are still an annoying minority of metalheads. Cliff-cliff notes example: Some got super angry when Kendal Jenner was wearing a band t-shirt when they thought she didn't even know the band and was doing it for fashion.

I'd say the k-pop equivilant would be those tumblr and twitter stans who make the rest of us look psycho when we really are not. :lisalaugh: .. I think it is a fair comparison because K-Pop in the west is looked at as something for 12-15 year old girls and anyone not in that category is mocked... :haylul:
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,396
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
It can be rather exhausting so its good that you aren't dealing with that.. but cliffnotes version: Heavy metal fans [called metalheads] have a sub class of fans who make exclusionary criteria for what is and isn't metal and like to call fans of certain bands poseurs and not real metalheads.. For these people being a fan of metal is more of a lifestyle than a general music taste. It is given that there would be some gatekeeping since it is a sub-culture that was demonized heavily in decades past, but elitist metalheads are still an annoying minority of metalheads. Cliff-cliff notes example: Some got super angry when Kendal Jenner was wearing a band t-shirt when they thought she didn't even know the band and was doing it for fashion.

I'd say the k-pop equivilant would be those tumblr and twitter stans who make the rest of us look psycho when we really are not. :lisalaugh: .. I think it is a fair comparison because K-Pop in the west is looked at as something for 12-15 year old girls and anyone not in that category is mocked... :haylul:
I can't say I'm too surprised, people love gatekeeping :wimwim:
I saw kpop fans trying to gatekeep having numbers in their usernames.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
You listened to the few exceptions :lisalaugh:
Spotify can have its reputation back then... Sort of a double entendre when you consider Taylor Swift drama. lmao
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,396
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
What is their rationale?
They said that Armys popularized the trend and that therefore other fandoms shouldn't have numbers in their un :wimwim:
They even admitted that it wasn't started by Armys, but for some reason NCTzens whos started it weren't allowed to have number in their un either because they weren't Armys.
The reactions were funny at least :haylul:
 
  • Like
Reactions: RandAlThor
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
They said that Armys popularized the trend and that therefore other fandoms shouldn't have numbers in their un :wimwim:
They even admitted that it wasn't started by Armys, but for some reason NCTzens whos started it weren't allowed to have number in their un either because they weren't Armys.
The reactions were funny at least :haylul:
make a un RU12 to mock them...
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,541
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
make a un RU12 to mock them...
lol

THX1138 and make em search for the reference ....

See and i blur the lines from metal thru 'hard'' classic' rock.

Although you could make a case that metal tends to scream or that weird deep voice deal but even those get broken into sub cats. :) Btw system seems more hard with rap to me aggressive g and spoken lines.
Consider BOC who are on the edge with psychedelic with Floyd.
Basically mass consumable metal is under the classic rock umbrella with all of em for me.

Really great stuff will have fantastic vocals with in the limits of the genre, insane talent as musicians, self written and maybe even produced.

Fans of these music styles are where the bulk of the non self written crap pop stars gets comes from.

forgetting that many many generations of musicians have given life to work not their own and that too is a massive talent.


What gets fun is when you tell dead heads they have been listening to bluegrass /country for decades....
 
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Btw system seems more hard with rap to me aggressive g and spoken lines.
regardless the only song I liked by them was Aerials.

See and i blur the lines from metal thru 'hard'' classic' rock.
It really depends. The pioneers that either invented or influenced the genre like top 4 I mentioned as well as Deep Purple, Rainbow, and others would be considered rock. Plus a lot of people consider Metallica after the black album rock. But I have heard an idea floating around that rock is more influenced by blues, while metal has a greater classical component. But with modernity of music many of the things that were true with both rock and metal have decreased, such as song length. Metal is more likely to have bands with 9+ minute songs.. Plus while concept albums are a staple in power metal and symphonic metal and some symphonic black metal, I have really only seen a few recent rock albums do concept albums. Perhaps they aren't as marketable. Alice Cooper did one a while back which told the story of a serial killer.. I'll have to relisten to it since I forgot most of the plot.. but he's another one who tends to blur lines for me since he's done with metal acts to, such as Tobias Sammet [Edguy] who had him on one of his albums for Avantasia. But I digress.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,541
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
regardless the only song I liked by them was Aerials.


It really depends. The pioneers that either invented or influenced the genre like top 4 I mentioned as well as Deep Purple, Rainbow, and others would be considered rock. Plus a lot of people consider Metallica after the black album rock. But I have heard an idea floating around that rock is more influenced by blues, while metal has a greater classical component. But with modernity of music many of the things that were true with both rock and metal have decreased, such as song length. Metal is more likely to have bands with 9+ minute songs.. Plus while concept albums are a staple in power metal and symphonic metal and some symphonic black metal, I have really only seen a few recent rock albums do concept albums. Perhaps they aren't as marketable. Alice Cooper did one a while back which told the story of a serial killer.. I'll have to relisten to it since I forgot most of the plot.. but he's another one who tends to blur lines for me since he's done with metal acts to, such as Tobias Sammet [Edguy] who had him on one of his albums for Avantasia. But I digress.
Yep i can see that blues seems to touch on so much, and its finger prints are all over the guitarist's of rock.

Folks like Floyd and the wall, Blue oyster Cult, the who with tommy, had concepts with long numbers. Moody blues who are way on the rock side played with full orchestration for a decade.

i think currently the long song or the story song is mostly gone with the attention span issues of the market.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread