Isn't Being Mulitfandom Exhausting? (1 Viewer)

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I always found it really hard to keep up with more than 3 groups. As a second gen stan, I was purely only Sone and only followed SNSD's activities. Sure, I checked out other group releases and occasionally watched their lives but I never really followed their activities religiously, like I did with SNSD. And tbh for me, if I don't do that, I don't feel like I'm a stan or apart of the fandom.
-
I've decided to officially announce my resignation as a Once and WIZ*ONE. I still love the girls so much and will follow them as much as I can but I really don't feel like I'm stanning either groups these days and I hate feeling that way. Therefore, I'm going back to my single fandom days by only being Buddy. Yes, I'm still a Sone but who really cares because SNSD doesn't really do much anymore :(.
-
So ultimately, I got 2 questions
1. What does it mean to "stan" a group, for you?
2. Do you find following more than 2 groups difficult?
​
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
1. What does it mean to "stan" a group, for you?
For me, I'll stan a group if I like most of the their music and their personalities. I'll also try to follow up with their activities and such.

2. Do you find following more than 2 groups difficult?
I do. I like a lot of groups, but I do think that I stan too many and I may need to let some of them go. There's some groups that I used to like a lot, but I either got bored with them or I don't like their music anymore. (Red Velvet is one example.) Of course I still like the members, but sometimes I'll get bored of a group after a while.
It's also hard to keep up with everything all of my faves do. I've even skipped out on watching a bunch of BTS interviews because it felt like it was too much for me.

Hopefully that explanation actually makes sense.
:welp:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
When i was more into kpop, around 2012-2013 period, i was really multifandom, getting into new groups left and right. NU'EST, B.A.P, LedApple, F.Cuz, Sunny Hill, GLAM, DMTN were all some of my new favorite groups. Which is kinda weird for me thinking back, how the fuck did I have time for not only my old faves Big Bang, 2NE1 and 2PM, but also these random rookies and nugus in short period of time?

I did end up losing interest of most of them, not really having time and energy just keep up with every group. Not that I didn't like their members and music even still though. But almost every group in that list has been disbanded to this point so.

I think after 2014 i just got really picky like I said i had dropped most groups mostly maintaining Big Bang and 2NE1, still somewhat keeping up with 2PM though lot less actively, adding IU and f(x) to that group eventually after long consideration that do I stan them or not.

I'd actually hope I'd be more of multifandomer these days or at least that it would be that easy to get into new groups since I'm really running out of groups to stan at this point. Most groups I have stanned have disbanded and rest are in indefinite hiatus. I guess most recent group I consider myself stanning is Blackpink, but it's not in level of 2NE1 and Big Bang and won't be.

1) I consider stanning group starting from liking the groups music and concepts, not only on one of their comebacks, but them constantly coming out with stuff you like. I also think liking the members is important part of stanning, cause otherwise I'll just stay as casual listener (like I'm with Red Velvet for example). I also kinda need to like all the members or be neutral about some, if there is member I dislike I cannot stan. So music + concept + consistency + members , i'm picky.

2) At the moment yes, I'm lot more lowkey about kpop I used to be in my prime kpop years so even keeping up with 2 is bit hard for me, i'm really not one to ask for updates in general xd
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
1. What does it mean to "stan" a group, for you?
For me, I'll stan a group if I like most of the their music and their personalities. I'll also try to follow up with their activities and such.

2. Do you find following more than 2 groups difficult?
I do. I like a lot of groups, but I do think that I stan too many and I may need to let some of them go. There's some groups that I used to like a lot, but I either got bored with them or I don't like their music anymore. (Red Velvet is one example.) Of course I still like the members, but sometimes I'll get bored of a group after a while.
It's also hard to keep up with everything all of my faves do. I've even skipped out on watching a bunch of BTS interviews because it felt like it was too much for me.

Hopefully that explanation actually makes sense.
:welp:
Yeah it does :pandalove:
I feel like with groups like BTS, you don't really to stan more. Their content is big enough to last you a lifetime. Tbh I don't get why people use the word "stan" when they just like a the group's music? Doesn't that just mean they are casual listeners? Like, legit I've seen people say "I stan" but don't know shit about the group or members. Just their discography. Sometimes not even the b-sides, just the title tracks lol.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
It is pretty exhausting to say the least.
I'm not even sure if I can say I even stan Gfriend and Oh My Girl when so much of my time is dedicated to Dreamcatcher?
Don't get me wrong, I love Gfriend and Oh My Girl and will always have a place in my heart as my number 2 and number 3, but the truth is, I only watch a few videos and performances of them here and there and just listen to the discographies a lot, but to say I stan them could be a bit of a lie?
I know that stanning a group can mean different things to people and to me it means knowing everything about the group by watching their performances, their variety shows, buying their stuff, knowing stuff about them that your casual fan wouldn't know about, etc.

Although I do have Gfriend's second full album and I love their music, I love the girls and think they are amazing, etc, can I still really say that I stan them? The difference between me stanning Dreamcatcher and me stanning Gfriend is a pretty huge gap and it's the same for Oh My girl, I basically only listen to their music religiously but that's kinda it, so can that be called stanning a group?

So my conclusion here is that I actually only stan Dreamcatcher but still have huge love for Gfriend and Oh My Girl, does that make sense?
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Yeah it does :pandalove:
I feel like with groups like BTS, you don't really to stan more. Their content is big enough to last you a lifetime. Tbh I don't get why people use the word "stan" when they just like a the group's music? Doesn't that just mean they are casual listeners? Like, legit I've seen people say "I stan" but don't know shit about the group or members. Just their discography. Sometimes not even the b-sides, just the title tracks lol.
I agree with what you said about BTS. They've got so much content out and even for me it's a bit difficult to keep up with it all. lol.
I'll admit that I'm kind of guilty of saying that I was a "stan" of a group because I used to just listen to title tracks. (This was when I was first getting into kpop.) But, now I'll listen to multiple albums from a group before I say that I'll stan them. And of course I'll try watching variety shows and interviews with them too. I know that the music is important, but I also can't stan someone who has a crappy personality.
 
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I stan nobody, but I listened to every song from this list. I'd say that's the same amount of dedication to Korean music:

 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I stan alot of groups. It‘s more about the music for me. My ub groups ( first line of groups in my sig) are the ones I enjoy the music the most, don’t have a bias in and love all their personalities.
I am not someone that is good at following every step of a group and rather watch whatever I feel like. I enjoy a couple of variety shows that I regularly watch so I always enjoy the episodes with my official faves alot
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Not at all because I'm a casual fan of tons of artists and don't "stan" anyone, really... I just enjoy what they put out and take what I want from it, I don't take something as artificial and short-lasting as kpop too seriously tbh
Tbh this is what I ultimately want to end up doing as well. After GFriend, I don't think I'll ever get as invested in a group so I do hope to reach a state where I can just enjoy Kpop in general and not get over invested.
 

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
.
.
Joined
24 November 2018
Messages
52,131
Reactions Received
94,782
Location
Dreamworld
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
132,191
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
1. What does it mean to "stan" a group, for you?

I have to like most of their music + the personalities of the members for me to officially "stan"/follow and support them.

2. Do you find following more than 2 groups difficult?

Musically, no. I keep up to date with all my faves comebacks and most important news updates like concert/tour information etc.

But it's difficult to keep up to date with variety shows, other TV schedules and public appearances etc. I'll always watch chart show performances and fancams, and try my best to watch them on variety shows if I can. However, it's not easy especially when faves comeback around the same time. I keep a log of all their appearances on TV though for rainy days and when I have nothing to do which means I actually always have something to watch. I may be weeks or even months behind watching something, but I get there in the end.

The hardest thing about being multifandom is how expensive it can be! For example,

It's only March of 2019 and the albums I have purchased (this year) already are;

  • Apink
  • GFriend
  • Dreamcatcher
  • (G)I-DLE
  • Loona
AND

MAMAMOO will be coming back this month with a possible BLACKPINK comeback this month too!

Musically I am very satisfied and spoiled. For variety content I am very satisfied and spoiled (can't even keep up). Financially though I am crying.
 
Last edited:

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
It is pretty exhausting to say the least.
I'm not even sure if I can say I even stan Gfriend and Oh My Girl when so much of my time is dedicated to Dreamcatcher?
Don't get me wrong, I love Gfriend and Oh My Girl and will always have a place in my heart as my number 2 and number 3, but the truth is, I only watch a few videos and performances of them here and there and just listen to the discographies a lot, but to say I stan them could be a bit of a lie?
I know that stanning a group can mean different things to people and to me it means knowing everything about the group by watching their performances, their variety shows, buying their stuff, knowing stuff about them that your casual fan wouldn't know about, etc.

Although I do have Gfriend's second full album and I love their music, I love the girls and think they are amazing, etc, can I still really say that I stan them? The difference between me stanning Dreamcatcher and me stanning Gfriend is a pretty huge gap and it's the same for Oh My girl, I basically only listen to their music religiously but that's kinda it, so can that be called stanning a group?

So my conclusion here is that I actually only stan Dreamcatcher but still have huge love for Gfriend and Oh My Girl, does that make sense?
Omg this so relatable. The same thing happened with me and TWICE. The gap got so huge between the amount of time I dedicated to GFriend and the amount of time I dedicated to TWICE. Actually, it came to the point where I barely checked what was going on with TWICE. GFriend are really active and following them whilst working and studying is hard enough. I legit felt bad calling myself a ONCE so I'm just gonna resign myself from that title and just check the girls out when I can. They'll always be my number 2 in the 3rd gen but yeah I don't think I can call myself a stan.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I also think that even if you don't stan someone, you can still be a part of that fandom. Like, although I have just said I don't stan Gfriend and Oh My Girl, I will still fully support and love them and be firmly interested in these groups, so I would still call myself a Buddy and Miracle.
If people say they are an InSomnia but don't stan Dreamcatcher, I'm not going to say 'No, you have to stan the group to become an InSomnia' because that really isn't true. As long as that person loves Dreamcatcher, and is willing to support and follow them, then they to me are an InSomnia.
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
1. What does it mean to "stan" a group, for you?

I have to like most of their music + the personalities of the members for me to officially "stan"/follow and support them.

2. Do you find following more than 2 groups difficult?

Musically, no. I keep up to date with all my faves comebacks and most important news updates like concert/tour information etc.

But it's difficult to keep up to date with variety shows, other TV schedules and public appearances etc. I'll always watch chart show performances and fancams, and try my best to watch them on variety shows if I can. However, it's not easy especially when faves comeback around the same time. I keep a log of all their appearances on TV though for rainy days and when I have nothing to do which means I actually always have something to watch. I may be weeks or even months behind watching something, but I get there in the end.

The hardest thing about being multifandom is how expensive it can be! For example,

It's only March of 2019 and the albums I have purchased already are;

  • Apink
  • GFriend
  • Dreamcatcher
  • (G)I-DLE
  • Loona
AND

MAMAMOO will be coming back this month with a possible BLACKPINK comeback this month too!

Musically I am very satisfied and spoiled. For variety content I am very satisfied and spoiled (can't even keep up). Financially though I am crying.
Omg girl last year I didn't buy anything but GFriend's albums. Yoda just don't got the money TT
I miss parents financially supporting everything I did :maheart:
 

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
.
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
17,115
Reactions Received
56,266
Location
spring days
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
ITS CRAZY AS FUDGE
I stan like 20 groups, and BELIEVE ME, they aren't going anywhere. I can remember voices, names, faces, positions, etc. and songs, but variety shows and stuff get confused. also drama and scandals and stuff like that. money wise, haven't got enough money to buy even ONE album so not a problem. it's crazy, but I love it :D
 

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
.
.
Joined
24 November 2018
Messages
52,131
Reactions Received
94,782
Location
Dreamworld
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
132,191
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
Omg girl last year I didn't buy anything but GFriend's albums. Yoda just don't got the money TT
I miss parents financially supporting everything I did :maheart:
Lmao!

Is that an expression of yours, or do you really think I'm a girl? ... After all this time!
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
ITS CRAZY AS FUDGE
I stan like 20 groups, and BELIEVE ME, they aren't going anywhere. I can remember voices, names, faces, positions, etc. and songs, but variety shows and stuff get confused. also drama and scandals and stuff like that. money wise, haven't got enough money to buy even ONE album so not a problem. it's crazy, but I love it :D
You living a wild life :maheart:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread