COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

J-Pop/J-Rock Recs! (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
Hello!

So confession time. I haven't listened to a new group in these genres in...over a decade? I kept up with the released of my older favorites (Miyavi, Namie, Gackt, Agikan, Bump of Chicken, Kalafina, Perfume, Miura Daichi and L'Arc~En~Ciel), but I have not bothered with trying to discover/keep up with any new acts.

So, I have about a 10-year gap to fill. Old recs, new recs, what's hot, what's not, etc. Hook me up! :pepeheart::pepeheart::pepeheart:
(Don't hook me up with Koda Kumi and Hamasaki Ayumi...or Dir en Grey, lol.)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
I've only been interested in one J-Pop group recently, here are some bops from them
You had me at the first song. They remind me of EXILE, and that's a good thing, haha. It's a good thing everyone at my job knows I'm weird because I'm just...here dancing in my office, no biggie.

I'm too lazy too look up lyrics, so I'm just going by sound. Heartbreaker brings me everything good about the American 80s, lol, so I love this. No Other One is definitely a bop, and the rap section didn't even make me cringe so A+ for that. Booyah is cool -- loved the vibe they give off and the finger tutting in the video. Come A Long Way is also a bop.

Conclusion: I love their voices, they dance very well, and I would buy their music.

Thanks for the recs!

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Get into Ali Project, they debuted 30 years ago (1988), no reason why they couldn't go another decade or two.

Their style is gothic pop/neoclassical or sth like that.

This their mv from 2017, I think it's their newest hard to know since they don't have official channel.

Those that like anime have likely heard their songs already, they have done dozen opening and ending songs as well as soundtracks.

The band consist of immortal Arika Takarano who is vocalist and writer and Mikiya Katakura who plays violin and composes.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
@Soleski

Ayy! I'd forgotten all about One OK Rock!!!! I had only really listened to two of their songs (yes, out of their entire discrography, only two.) It was during a time when I was too lazy to discover more about new/unknown acts. But I really liked those to songs, and the songs you rec'd are frakking appealing. The Beginning is gold! llama_twerkRe:make reminds me of something...I just can't remember what right now, lol. It's pretty good, and the English is surprisingly good. (I guess I'm used to the "Engrish" from a decade ago, rip.)

Never heard of MFS, but...hmm...they're alright. I had to get used to his voice a little bit, but it occurred easily by the end of the first song. Alone is a bop. I love whoever directs their music videos, too. It's rare that I enjoy videos that don't have choreography (which is my favorite part about most K-Pop videos, actually), but I could sit here and watch these. And excuse me, but if he dyed his hair gray-blue he could be a cuter, healthier Shigaraki Tomura, rip brain.

I'd heard of Baby Metal, but never was interested in listening to 'em. Megitsune -- I was like wtf and then the main vocal started singing and I was like :llama_laugh:... I think I enjoy her the most. (I probably won't be rewatching the videos though, xD). Road of Resistance was an experience -- in a good way. Last song was okay. They are...very interesting, lol. I can tell that they will be a group that I'd have to be in the mood for, though :pepehelp:

Conclusion:
- One OK Rock - I will definitely check our their discography now. Luckily Google Play has some of their albums on it, so I'll start there.
- My First Story - Pretty cool. I'd probably check them out at some point, but for now I'll probably just remember the ones you rec'd, lol. I'm lazy.
- BabyMetal - same as MFS.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
I know nothing about Jpop other than that Madkid are great :pepeheart:
Hey. Hey, hey. Wait a minute. Just, just wait a minute. I don't think I've ever been excited about Japanese (idol) rappers...but...it may become a thing now. Not to take away from the singing in the first song, but the rapping >>>>. It really stole my attention, lol. (That being said, I didn't actually like the solo song lol :pandarolleyes:)

I will check them out (Though this has shown me that even a cover can't make me like AIIYL, rip). Mostly I want to check out more of their raps, tbh.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
@Soleski

Ayy! I'd forgotten all about One OK Rock!!!! I had only really listened to two of their songs (yes, out of their entire discrography, only two.) It was during a time when I was too lazy to discover more about new/unknown acts. But I really liked those to songs, and the songs you rec'd are frakking appealing. The Beginning is gold! llama_twerkRe:make reminds me of something...I just can't remember what right now, lol. It's pretty good, and the English is surprisingly good. (I guess I'm used to the "Engrish" from a decade ago, rip.)

Never heard of MFS, but...hmm...they're alright. I had to get used to his voice a little bit, but it occurred easily by the end of the first song. Alone is a bop. I love whoever directs their music videos, too. It's rare that I enjoy videos that don't have choreography (which is my favorite part about most K-Pop videos, actually), but I could sit here and watch these. And excuse me, but if he dyed his hair gray-blue he could be a cuter, healthier Shigaraki Tomura, rip brain.

I'd heard of Baby Metal, but never was interested in listening to 'em. Megitsune -- I was like wtf and then the main vocal started singing and I was like :llama_laugh:... I think I enjoy her the most. (I probably won't be rewatching the videos though, xD). Road of Resistance was an experience -- in a good way. Last song was okay. They are...very interesting, lol. I can tell that they will be a group that I'd have to be in the mood for, though :pepehelp:

Conclusion:
- One OK Rock - I will definitely check our their discography now. Luckily Google Play has some of their albums on it, so I'll start there.
- My First Story - Pretty cool. I'd probably check them out at some point, but for now I'll probably just remember the ones you rec'd, lol. I'm lazy.
- BabyMetal - same as MFS.
Babymetal was a wtf for me at first too, but I liked Su's voice as well and their sound is so crazy I totally enjoy crazy things :D But I do understand that its not for everyone :DD
I like your review a lot :pandalove: thanks for write this long I enjoyed reading it
Side info: One ok Rock singer (Taka) and MFS singer (Hiro) are brothers :pandalove: talent is in the family

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
Get into Ali Project, they debuted 30 years ago (1988), no reason why they couldn't go another decade or two.

Their style is gothic pop/neoclassical or sth like that.

This their mv from 2017, I think it's their newest hard to know since they don't have official channel.
I saw "30 years ago" and was like, daaaaang... and then I remembered I'm 27, so.

At first I thought it was going to be serving me Malice Mizer, then I heard the music. *Insert deep belly laugh* Definitely not like Malice Mizer music-wise. This is very up-to-date (I know, 2017 so that's a given) and sounds really good. Right up my alley, really. I'll definitely be looking into them.

Not relevant, but how old is she xD.
Thanks!

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Hey. Hey, hey. Wait a minute. Just, just wait a minute. I don't think I've ever been excited about Japanese (idol) rappers...but...it may become a thing now. Not to take away from the singing in the first song, but the rapping >>>>. It really stole my attention, lol. (That being said, I didn't actually like the solo song lol :pandarolleyes:)

I will check them out (Though this has shown me that even a cover can't make me like AIIYL, rip). Mostly I want to check out more of their raps, tbh.
Rip the other members :yolk: But I feel you, their rappers I feel are what makes them stand out. Theyre pretty new so they dont have a lot of stuff, but Yuki and Lin have a couple more solo songs, though Lins are mostly on soundcloud.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I saw "30 years ago" and was like, daaaaang... and then I remembered I'm 27, so.

At first I thought it was going to be serving me Malice Mizer, then I heard the music. *Insert deep belly laugh* Definitely not like Malice Mizer music-wise. This is very up-to-date (I know, 2017 so that's a given) and sounds really good. Right up my alley, really. I'll definitely be looking into them.

Not relevant, but how old is she xD.
Thanks!
That's actually bit more modern sound of them, their earlier stuff is often more orchestral. I really liked the mix they had with this one too.

Arika.. apparently she's 55 now. Still going strong as always. She's immortal I tell u :pepecross:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread