- Joined
- 20 November 2018
- Messages
- 2,581
- Reactions Received
- 10,912
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 0
- Gender
- Female
It seems easier for most of us to move past wrong doings that Western artists have committed or been accused of when wanting to listen to their music - but is it the same in regards to Kpop (or simply Korean) artists when they've been charged with doing something illegal or wrong, or at the very least accused of it?
The current eruption of scandals tied (most of them) around what started out as a simple case of drug distribution and has unraveled into alleged prostitution rings and ties, money laundering, hidden sex cams of videos of alleged raping, drugging of women and possibly men etc, and other charges got me to really thinking.
It seems so easy to listen to so many of the Western artists that have been part of similar or worse crimes, even after we are made aware that they are scum. We seem to disassociate them from their musical side, their career as artists - we create a barrier of "this person is scummy and gross and a criminal, but, this is their music and I like it" or "I grew up with it before I knew this person was trash so....forget them...but, I still love the music" in these cases. But it almost doesn't seem possible with Korean artists?
I have my own theory - that we tend to attach ourselves more on a personal level to Korean artists (even those not in Kpop) due to the fan/stan culture that's developed and been nurtured around them. Unlike Western artists that most people may support on a really hardcore level, the majority of Western artists we all keep at more than an arm's length, while Kpop artists and idols we reel in and sometimes treat like we know, or have dug so deep into the personal information they have had leaked or has been presented to us, and even if we don't mean to, absorb it like it's a friend's information - thus when they do something shitty, we take it more personal and it makes it harder to just listen to the music for what it is, the person behind it outside of the situation. There also tends to be a stigma of "I don't want to give money to or support a piece of trash person" in regards to Kpop specifically, probably because the labels themselves are full of artists but aren't as big as say, Sony Records, and perhaps this too makes us feel as if it's more obvious that our money will be going towards an artist's royalties etc.
What are your thoughts on it? It's something I even struggle with. I like Eddy Kim's music and now that he's been revealed to be a piece of the puzzle I cringe. I haven't really listened to his music as of late, but I worry I won't be able to enjoy it again now that I know these things (but still listen to songs like "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and known woman-beater gross guy extraordinaire, Chris Brown).
The current eruption of scandals tied (most of them) around what started out as a simple case of drug distribution and has unraveled into alleged prostitution rings and ties, money laundering, hidden sex cams of videos of alleged raping, drugging of women and possibly men etc, and other charges got me to really thinking.
It seems so easy to listen to so many of the Western artists that have been part of similar or worse crimes, even after we are made aware that they are scum. We seem to disassociate them from their musical side, their career as artists - we create a barrier of "this person is scummy and gross and a criminal, but, this is their music and I like it" or "I grew up with it before I knew this person was trash so....forget them...but, I still love the music" in these cases. But it almost doesn't seem possible with Korean artists?
I have my own theory - that we tend to attach ourselves more on a personal level to Korean artists (even those not in Kpop) due to the fan/stan culture that's developed and been nurtured around them. Unlike Western artists that most people may support on a really hardcore level, the majority of Western artists we all keep at more than an arm's length, while Kpop artists and idols we reel in and sometimes treat like we know, or have dug so deep into the personal information they have had leaked or has been presented to us, and even if we don't mean to, absorb it like it's a friend's information - thus when they do something shitty, we take it more personal and it makes it harder to just listen to the music for what it is, the person behind it outside of the situation. There also tends to be a stigma of "I don't want to give money to or support a piece of trash person" in regards to Kpop specifically, probably because the labels themselves are full of artists but aren't as big as say, Sony Records, and perhaps this too makes us feel as if it's more obvious that our money will be going towards an artist's royalties etc.
What are your thoughts on it? It's something I even struggle with. I like Eddy Kim's music and now that he's been revealed to be a piece of the puzzle I cringe. I haven't really listened to his music as of late, but I worry I won't be able to enjoy it again now that I know these things (but still listen to songs like "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and known woman-beater gross guy extraordinaire, Chris Brown).