- Joined
- 20 October 2018
- Messages
- 126,058
- Reactions Received
- 53,014
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 524,535
- Ship
- Wreck
I grew up in a semi-religious household of Christians who would only go to church near Christmas-time. Being a young child, I went because I had no other choice but, eventually, we stopped going and we don't go to church at all anymore. While not extremely religious, my mom values God and crosses practically represent her at this point. Because of this upbringing, I naturally assumed that I was a Christian and would always be one (Did you know that there are 2+B Christians in the world?).
When I was 11 years old, someone I loved died. It was at that time that I swore off God and began calling myself an atheist. This was a mistake, but I'll get back to that.
My step grandparents are very serious Christians/Catholics. When I told my mom two years ago that I did not believe in God, she told me that I had better not tell anyone else. I wondered why? Will they not care for me anymore? Were God's teachings so great that my non-belief would cause them to break relations with me?
So, to clarify, atheism is the belief that there is no god. But, most people use this term incorrectly.
Do you mean to say that you negate or have no belief in god? That is called agnosticism.
As my professor describes it, there is both a "Soft" and "Hard" agnosticism. He describes them both as follows:
Soft Agnosticism – withholding belief about God’s existence
Hard Agnosticism – the belief that it is impossible to know if God exists.
However, I am not content with calling myself a soft agnostic, and during my time in the class so far one particular religion has stood out to me - Buddhism. Buddhism is the 4th largest religion in the world (~500M) and has teachings I think are ideal (at least from what I've read so far) and I plan on reading more into their teachings and understanding the concepts better.
But there is a problem...
How do I know that this is the right religion for me? Can I choose my own religion? Will my family hate me if I come out with this?
So, my questions for you all:
If you were born into a religious family, how religious are you? Do you share the same beliefs as your parents? Do you enjoy your faith?
If you have switched religions/looked into others, how did you know the religion you ultimately pursued was right? Are you content as you are now?
If you do not follow a religion, what do you think of religion in general and what morals/values do you uphold in your life? Do you find fault with religions or do you think they benefit society?
When I was 11 years old, someone I loved died. It was at that time that I swore off God and began calling myself an atheist. This was a mistake, but I'll get back to that.
My step grandparents are very serious Christians/Catholics. When I told my mom two years ago that I did not believe in God, she told me that I had better not tell anyone else. I wondered why? Will they not care for me anymore? Were God's teachings so great that my non-belief would cause them to break relations with me?
So, to clarify, atheism is the belief that there is no god. But, most people use this term incorrectly.
Do you mean to say that you negate or have no belief in god? That is called agnosticism.
As my professor describes it, there is both a "Soft" and "Hard" agnosticism. He describes them both as follows:
Soft Agnosticism – withholding belief about God’s existence
Hard Agnosticism – the belief that it is impossible to know if God exists.
However, I am not content with calling myself a soft agnostic, and during my time in the class so far one particular religion has stood out to me - Buddhism. Buddhism is the 4th largest religion in the world (~500M) and has teachings I think are ideal (at least from what I've read so far) and I plan on reading more into their teachings and understanding the concepts better.
But there is a problem...
How do I know that this is the right religion for me? Can I choose my own religion? Will my family hate me if I come out with this?
So, my questions for you all:
If you were born into a religious family, how religious are you? Do you share the same beliefs as your parents? Do you enjoy your faith?
If you have switched religions/looked into others, how did you know the religion you ultimately pursued was right? Are you content as you are now?
If you do not follow a religion, what do you think of religion in general and what morals/values do you uphold in your life? Do you find fault with religions or do you think they benefit society?