COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Sooo Evidently SM stepped up to save Ktown 4U ass (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
or maybe just reprint them selves i am not quite sure ...

i am looking for hard info but there is this

1611340719678.png

Panda

a panda just trying to chill
Reactions Received
Website
www.twitch.tv
KS Coins
Fandom
Starlight
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
damn, SM did not have to do this

also what's up with companies doing SM so dirty? first SBS, now them

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
damn, SM did not have to do this

also what's up with companies doing SM so dirty? first SBS, now them
its crazy.

lol but maybe it will be a sea change in album availability.

I remember going to the sm store and they just saying sorry it is out for a bunch of stuff.

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
@Drew_B, hv u heard abt this?
Edit: is this even abt tat, or r there more artists/albums involved?

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
sm really went ahead and told them to f off lmao

Drew_B

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU
@Drew_B, hv u heard abt this?
Edit: is this even abt tat, or r there more artists/albums involved?
Thanks for the tag. I hadn't seen this statement yet.

Still confused though. Can I expect my albums I ordered or should I expect a refund sometime soon?

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Thanks for the tag. I hadn't seen this statement yet.

Still confused though. Can I expect my albums I ordered or should I expect a refund sometime soon?
i would bet on a refund but there is a good chance that the albums will become available say this year.

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
sm really went ahead and told them to f off lmao
Actually, that's not at all what they did, since SM is putting the albums back into production. Wouldn't have been an issue, either, if SM didn't force scarcity by being stingy assholes about re-releasing things. KTown4U basically found demand and pushed for supply.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Actually, that's not at all what they did, since SM is putting the albums back into production. Wouldn't have been an issue, either, if SM didn't force scarcity by being stingy assholes about re-releasing things. KTown4U basically found demand and pushed for supply.
They did say they would deliver to retailers like normal ... Ktown may or may not get the preordered quantity's.
Knowing sm they will stock local stores and put em all in sm town marketplace.

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
They did say they would deliver to retailers like normal ... Ktown may or may not get the preordered quantity's.
Knowing sm they will stock local stores and put em all in sm town marketplace.
SM releases through KTown4U so they will get some albums, is my guess. Likely not the full order, but as if it was any other stock. That doesn't mean SM told them to eff off, though. Fans have always demanded SM re-release, and KTown forced them to. Sure, they'll still have to refund people, but in the end the fans still got what they wanted, so will it really matter?

Edit: might've misread, so I'm sorry if the reply came off aggressive. Basically what I'm saying is, there aren't really any losers in this situation. All in all, fans are getting what they wanted, albeit not the way they thought they would.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
SM releases through KTown4U so they will get some albums, is my guess. Likely not the full order, but as if it was any other stock. That doesn't mean SM told them to eff off, though. Fans have always demanded SM re-release, and KTown forced them to. Sure, they'll still have to refund people, but in the end the fans still got what they wanted, so will it really matter?

Edit: might've misread, so I'm sorry if the reply came off aggressive. Basically what I'm saying is, there aren't really any losers in this situation. All in all, fans are getting what they wanted, albeit not the way they thought they would.
2.3 million in preorder sales might have been the decider. :)

picture flunky 1 going up to the boss..... ahhh dude ktown 4u has 2.3 million in preorder's for albums we are out of stock on someone ought to tell a big boss....

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
2.3 million in preorder sales might have been the decider. :)

picture flunky 1 going up to the boss..... ahhh dude ktown 4u has 2.3 million in preorder's for albums we are out of stock on someone ought to tell a big boss....
I mean, it was a dicey move on KTown's part, but it paid off. I'd HATE to be the person who okay'd those pre-orders though, it was a big gamble. Fans are rightfully ticked that KTown played with their money like that, but I honestly don't see any other way SM would have actually re-released or even responded so quickly. In the end, KTown might lose money, but they're still one of the biggest overseas shippers, and fans will end up seeing these releases actually happen. Tbh, it'd be a rather good idea for SM to actually fulfill all those pre-orders, as it's a lot of money they would otherwise have not seen. Especially in the midst of a pandemic, it's incredibly stupid to walk away from a guaranteed payday.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I mean, it was a dicey move on KTown's part, but it paid off. I'd HATE to be the person who okay'd those pre-orders though, it was a big gamble. Fans are rightfully ticked that KTown played with their money like that, but I honestly don't see any other way SM would have actually re-released or even responded so quickly. In the end, KTown might lose money, but they're still one of the biggest overseas shippers, and fans will end up seeing these releases actually happen. Tbh, it'd be a rather good idea for SM to actually fulfill all those pre-orders, as it's a lot of money they would otherwise have not seen. Especially in the midst of a pandemic, it's incredibly stupid to walk away from a guaranteed payday.
yep it was ballsy but they are a partner and the last year or 2 big sm numbers came from them.

SM

fx never toured despite the popularity of the members in sea/china. They leave a bunch of money on the table at times.

But i agree if you are going to reprint more is better in the economy of scale deal.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
several artists i guess it was like 2 million plus in preorders.
Were they all out of print SM albums tho?
Reading the replies here, my take is IIRC, chinese meus got some fx albums ordered, rite?
Then for watever reason kt4u offered fx albums (which dint actually exist) for sale/preorder which prompted SM to deny they existed but also moved to make some exist n available. From my limited knowledge, i dont think SM realised the extent of the untapped market - kt4u basically did the "its better to ask forgiveness than the other way" by offering out of print stuff after the china news of fx albums reprinting/sale to meus(Watever it was). Either with or without SM advance knowledge, they gambled big.
Im not gonna quote l8r replies:
SM probably doesnt want to let kt4u get all the coin by fulfilling the preorders in full. The pent up demand IS there so if they force kt4u thru some hoops, it might be ALL the demand will be met. Depends if SM prints/makes available enuf copies or more to meet the demand. I dont understand the business criteria/calculations so its all a mystery to me how much SM will print/make available.

Tldr/or another different take: this seems very like a flash sale tactic/marketing move iv read about of digital amazon books, the author/seller offers a flash sale to boost orders-the rank jumps to 1 n long term its a net positiveEXCEPT there wasnt a discount/sale/preexisting product/agreement with SM to supply(unless a mole/execs had a verbal/unwritten agreement/understanding). All a gamble n the losers with the biggest risk were the fans if they are out their moneys/dont get everything they orders(maybe some resellers bought in n made the order numbers higher). I dony understand this whole situation n just posting to get my thots down in writing. You are free to disagree/correct my wrong facts/assumptions/conclusions. Thnx.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
EXO-L
Pronouns
She/Her
This may have kinda soured the business relationship between the two companies but it's good for the fans who wanted to buy the albums. Good on ktown4u for pushing SM to print more albums. Good on SM for not letting anyone take charge of their album production.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Were they all out of print SM albums tho?
Reading the replies here, my take is IIRC, chinese meus got some fx albums ordered, rite?
Then for watever reason kt4u offered fx albums (which dint actually exist) for sale/preorder which prompted SM to deny they existed but also moved to make some exist n available. From my limited knowledge, i dont think SM realised the extent of the untapped market - kt4u basically did the "its better to ask forgiveness than the other way" by offering out of print stuff after the china news of fx albums reprinting/sale to meus(Watever it was). Either with or without SM advance knowledge, they gambled big.
Im not gonna quote l8r replies:
SM probably doesnt want to let kt4u get all the coin by fulfilling the preorders in full. The pent up demand IS there so if they force kt4u thru some hoops, it might be ALL the demand will be met. Depends if SM prints/makes available enuf copies or more to meet the demand. I dont understand the business criteria/calculations so its all a mystery to me how much SM will print/make available.

Tldr/or another different take: this seems very like a flash sale tactic/marketing move iv read about of digital amazon books, the author/seller offers a flash sale to boost orders-the rank jumps to 1 n long term its a net positiveEXCEPT there wasnt a discount/sale/preexisting product/agreement with SM to supply(unless a mole/execs had a verbal/unwritten agreement/understanding). All a gamble n the losers with the biggest risk were the fans if they are out their moneys/dont get everything they orders(maybe some resellers bought in n made the order numbers higher). I dony understand this whole situation n just posting to get my thots down in writing. You are free to disagree/correct my wrong facts/assumptions/conclusions. Thnx.
Maybe they did have an under the table agreement just to check how many actual buyers were out there.

It is hard to separate the noise makers on the internet from actual customers.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Maybe they did have an under the table agreement just to check how many actual buyers were out there.

It is hard to separate the noise makers on the internet from actual customers.
I hardly believe management at SM were in the know in advance but stranger things hv happened, n we'll probably nvr know for sure unless similar situation occurs with SNSD albums(r they out of print too? Im flat broke or id agitate for the re-print/same deal as wat happen regarding wat this thread is about, but i wont squawk [if it happens, out of happiness for the possibility of SONEs getting copies tho]. Awkward construction but i cba to edit to clarify.)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Exo L
Ship
I'm not up on how international corporations do things, but... it really would foster some sort of good will for them to offer something in addition to a refund. Sort of like how Dominos gives you a coupon for a free pizza if they take too long to deliver. Not saying they should give out free albums, but like a coupon for like 10 percent off order or something...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread