COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

The Jennie nurse outfit (Lovesick Girls) controversy (1 Viewer)

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
This is truly some of the stupidest shit I've seen in Kpop in a while, not even spending months on Stan Twitter could prepare me for this BS.

For those who don't know, it started with some Knetz criticizing Jennie/BP/YGE for sexualizing nurses with her outfit in the Lovesick Girls MV. The outfit in question is this btw:

EjnCL6ZWsAApi_E.jpg
EjneNb8UwAATsod.jpg
:nayeonisdone:

Initially I thought it was just Knetz being Knetz and dismissed any concerns, but the issue got big to the point even the Korean Health & Medical Workers Union joined in the protest. Eventually, YGE couldn't stay silent and had to release a statement.

Here's the thing- there's absolutely NOTHING sexualized in this scene. The outfit is pretty modest, nothing revealing, no close ups on her legs or any body part. She's diagnosing herself, not another male patient. She's not dancing seductively or doing anything suggestive. So what exactly is the problem here? We've had so many girl groups dress up as nurses before, and act more suggestively on screen and those never were a problem. SNSD's Mr Mr had a whole nurse concept.

Girl groups dress up in school girl outfits all the time too, and nobody bats an eye. Male groups get away with literally anything.

To see a complete non issue like this blow up to the point where YGE is considering editing out the scene feels extremely wild. I hoped they'd take a stand and not bow to these demands, because it sets a precedent where other people feel they can force a company's hand in the future if they don't like something, it only compromises artistic freedom and benefits nobody, and is a step back for women too imo.

If that scene which lasts than 10 seconds makes your mind jump to sexual thoughts, isn't the problem with the viewer?

Either way, I agree with what Jeff Benjamin says here:

And this tweet too:

Thoughts?

@Blink

Tiffany

Forever Alone
Reactions Received
Website
kpopsource.com
KS Coins
Fandom
SONE
Pronouns
Noona
This is hard, a nurse union called out YG to complain about this right? I think its an issue with the recent drama YG is embroiled in, but yeah jennie is not depicting herself sexually in the video at all and is diagnosing herself, it would have been better if jennie wore a doctor outfit to better match the scene.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
This is hard, a nurse union called out YG to complain about this right? I think its an issue with the recent drama YG is embroiled in, but yeah jennie is not depicting herself sexually in the video at all and is diagnosing herself, it would have been better if jennie wore a doctor outfit to better match the scene.
Yeah the nurse union joining in is what confuses me even more. What exactly they found offensive in this scene :wimwim:
Some people on Twitter are saying it's not our place to complain since it's their job, and I'd agree with their sentiment if the scene was actually depicting nurses in any sexual way, but it's such a non issue I can't wrap my mind around it.

And for the record, even if it WAS sexualized in some way, I wouldn't mind, coz it's pretty commonplace. We've had so many music videos where teachers, doctors/nurses, flight attendants, office secretaries are shown suggestively, just like males dress up as cops, firemen, doctors, military outfits with cuts/bruises etc. and nobody cares.

I guess it might be due to the Covid situation but again, that scene wasn't sexual in the slightest :jisoosmh:

Tiffany

Forever Alone
Reactions Received
Website
kpopsource.com
KS Coins
Fandom
SONE
Pronouns
Noona
Yeah the nurse union joining in is what confuses me even more. What exactly they found offensive in this scene :wimwim:
Some people on Twitter are saying it's not our place to complain since it's their job, and I'd agree with their sentiment if the scene was actually depicting nurses in any sexual way, but it's such a non issue I can't wrap my mind around it.

And for the record, even if it WAS sexualized in some way, I wouldn't mind, coz it's pretty commonplace. We've had so many music videos where teachers, doctors/nurses, flight attendants, office secretaries are shown suggestively, just like males dress up as cops, firemen, doctors, military outfits with cuts/bruises etc. and nobody cares.

I guess it might be due to the Covid situation but again, that scene wasn't sexual in the slightest :jisoosmh:
I think this could be the reason why.

“This situation gets worse the more pop culture repeats its distorted image of nurses. Now that BLACKPINK’s new song is ranked at the top of various global charts, we urge YG Entertainment to take responsible action to match its popularity and influence,” they insisted.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
At least they didn't leave the girls to fend for themselves this time

The main thing I'm seeing is "what nurses wear this" when it's a clear reference to old nursing uniforms. The skirt is shortish but it's not like it's a miniskirt or anything

Major blink accounts getting suspended, YT fucking us over, an entire national union getting pissy, this era is gonna be so powerful, I just know it :jenniesmug:

Tiffany

Forever Alone
Reactions Received
Website
kpopsource.com
KS Coins
Fandom
SONE
Pronouns
Noona
Basically a better way to promote their union goals, what better way than to hijack a massive comeback that will go in the news, if its any nugu groups, this wont be an issue.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I can see their reasoning but can't agree at all lol. What distorted image is Jennie portraying here really? But this just proves they picked this moment to create a fuss because the song is successful :nayeonisdone:

At least they didn't leave the girls to fend for themselves this time

The main thing I'm seeing is "what nurses wear this" when it's a clear reference to old nursing uniforms. The skirt is shortish but it's not like it's a miniskirt or anything

Major blink accounts getting suspended, YT fucking us over, an entire national union getting pissy, this era is gonna be so powerful, I just know it :jenniesmug:
I mean the skirt is not even that short lol, girl groups wear school girl outfits with shorter skirts and nobody has a problem then :jisoosmh:
I swear it's been a while since something in Kpop triggered me like this :nayeonisdone:

I hope they crack a million sales in the first week so we can focus on that and move on from this :taesip:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Basically a better way to promote their union goals, what better way than to hijack a massive comeback that will go in the news, if its any nugu groups, this wont be an issue.
I can see their reasoning but can't agree at all lol. What distorted image is Jennie portraying here really? But this just proves they picked this moment to create a fuss because the song is successful :nayeonisdone:
Seems that way lol, we basically typed the same thing at the same time :haylul:

Tiffany

Forever Alone
Reactions Received
Website
kpopsource.com
KS Coins
Fandom
SONE
Pronouns
Noona
Seems that way lol, we basically typed the same thing at the same time :haylul:
But if YG ever decides to remake that scene, i would vote for them to portray jennie as a psychologist or a counsellor.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
But if YG ever decides to remake that scene, i would vote for them to portray jennie as a psychologist or a counsellor.
I think they won't shoot any new scenes, will probably just put some unused Jennie shots or group shots over those lines. Or crop out nurse Jennie and leave patient Jennie as she is.
Psychologist/counsellor could work but nurses have the more recognizable outfit which is why they went with it I guess. I'd say dress her up as a doctor but who knows if the Doctors Union decides to complain then.

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I understand the overall sentiment against it. Nurses and air hostesses are extremely sexualised in entertainment simply for being female dominated occupations and a lot of people who have these careers are forced to deal with the extreme sexualisation in their day to day lives. I mean, there are SO many stories especially these days with corona patients about nurses having to deal with sexual harassment so they're probably even more sensitive than usual at the moment. So I can understand why they would feel upset when a world class celebrity depicts them in the same sexualised way and why they would want to speak out.

However, although the outfit Jennie is wearing isn't what a normal nurse would wear and rather what one would wear in movies only, there is literally nothing sexual about the scene or the lyrics behind the scene, not even her expression. I cannot see at all what has caused this overreaction to the scene. The skirt is short but that's literally all. Like I really can see their side of the story but this Jennie scene just isn't what everyone is making it out to be.

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I work in nursing.

I don't give a shit.

Slut up into a nurse outfit and shake your ass at people for all I care.

Why is this even an issue

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
wait... this is an issue? for real.... to me it’s seems like a nonissue.

if this blows up, then any movie or series that those such similar things should get shit too

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
What's wrong? I don't see nothing. Jennie looks like a Psycho nurse with that hair lol
Ngl I'd be really concerned getting treated by her. ...or even work with her. :jisoosmh:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I work in nursing.

I don't give a shit.

Slut up into a nurse outfit and shake your ass at people for all I care.

Why is this even an issue
This is why I like you lol.

I understand the overall sentiment against it. Nurses and air hostesses are extremely sexualised in entertainment simply for being female dominated occupations and a lot of people who have these careers are forced to deal with the extreme sexualisation in their day to day lives. I mean, there are SO many stories especially these days with corona patients about nurses having to deal with sexual harassment so they're probably even more sensitive than usual at the moment. So I can understand why they would feel upset when a world class celebrity depicts them in the same sexualised way and why they would want to speak out.

However, although the outfit Jennie is wearing isn't what a normal nurse would wear and rather what one would wear in movies only, there is literally nothing sexual about the scene or the lyrics behind the scene, not even her expression. I cannot see at all what has caused this overreaction to the scene. The skirt is short but that's literally all. Like I really can see their side of the story but this Jennie scene just isn't what everyone is making it out to be.
Yeah like you said, I get the general sentiment. However they picked a very poor example to prove their point.

I think almost every profession gets sexualized in the entertainment industry to a degree. Doctors/nurses, cops, firefighters, lifeguards, secretaries, teachers, students etc. Of course, females deal with a lot more sexual harassment irl, so it's always more sketchy when females are sexualized on camera compared to males.

But in this scene, it's people finding sexualization when there is none, so at that point you have to ask who the blame lies with. If the video does nothing to portray the scene in any suggestive way, then isn't it the problem with the mindset of the viewers? Shouldn't idols be allowed to wear what they want? I know outfits and stuff are decided by the agency but Jennie usually has a lot of say in what she wears, and for this scene she just chose something that'd match the lyrics. It wasn't just used as a concept.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
wait... this is an issue? for real.... to me it’s seems like a nonissue.

if this blows up, then any movie or series that those such similar things should get shit too
I thought this would be a non issue, and then the nurses union joined in and YGE had to issue a statement and might edit it out :nayeonisdone:

Ngl I'd be really concerned getting treated by her. ...or even work with her. :jisoosmh:
I'll volunteer to be her patient, best make the union complaints worth it :wimwim:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread