- Joined
- 4 December 2018
- Messages
- 3,200
- Reactions Received
- 11,455
- Location
- USA
- Website
- emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 205
- Fandom
- Once, Sone
- Gender
- Male
TWICE and Substance
Often I see TWICE derided for their output as well as their image.
That because TWICE often has bubblegum pop and cute offerings and aesthetic that somehow that means they "lack value" or "substance".
They often compare TWICE's output negatively to other groups styles or sounds and their alleged "maturation". The claim being that that TWICE has remained in territory that lacks any kind of alleged "substance".
And I see what they mean to some extent. Many TWICE songs deal with topics (often relationship based) in a manner that often reflects youthful perspective. Wanting to be pretty or attractive. Wanting others to like you. To pay attention to you. Etc. They also reflect cute aesthetics and values that are, from the international perspective, often seen as lesser than.
The claim seems to be that this is not "substantial". That because they aren't more intellectual or mature in their presentation and lyrical discussion that they are just a "frivolous group" with "meaningless cute songs". To these individuals this is deserving of derision and often aggressive mocking. TWICE lacks "substance", they claim, so they deserve their ridicule.
Substance....
But what is "substance" exactly? What does it mean?
It seems the essence is "meaning" or "importance".
In what way has TWICE's song output not been meaningful or important to those that listen to it and cherish it?
Certainly it has meaning to me. When I put on TWICE songs I feel happy and it builds this emotional connection within me.
Is there a lack meaning or importance when a child and daughter bond over TT? Is there a lack of meaning or importance in One In A Million when people leave comments detailing how listening helped them with depression and mental health issues? Is there a lack of meaning or importance when TWICE's cute nature brings a smile to someones face, or offers some wholesome relief or mood boost when they are feeling down.
Certainly I don't see it that way.
That is meaning. That is importance. The ability to connect to people and touch them emotionally is substance. No matter it's form. Whether it's TT hand gestures, "SHY SHY SHYs", IU singing a densely lyrical ballad, or Chopin.
In my assessment the whole idea of "substance" is really a cultural euphemism for "the kind of music and style that I think has value", or to put it more broadly: "Things that I find valuable have substance. Things that I don't lack it."
I understand I will probably not change anyone's mind about this. But it's a disconnect that I am constantly aware of. I'm usually pretty good about being immune to this sort of thing. But tonight for some reason I'm.... vulnerable? I don't know. Sometimes it just becomes tiring to have the things you find important, constantly belittled as being "meaningless".
I get that everyone will find value in different things. I just wish people wouldn't go out of their way to diminish or deny the meaning groups or music, whatever the music, has for others.
Anyway.
That's my heart to heart for the night from your Resident Tzuyu Obssessed Fanboy.
:pandaroll:
Often I see TWICE derided for their output as well as their image.
That because TWICE often has bubblegum pop and cute offerings and aesthetic that somehow that means they "lack value" or "substance".
They often compare TWICE's output negatively to other groups styles or sounds and their alleged "maturation". The claim being that that TWICE has remained in territory that lacks any kind of alleged "substance".
And I see what they mean to some extent. Many TWICE songs deal with topics (often relationship based) in a manner that often reflects youthful perspective. Wanting to be pretty or attractive. Wanting others to like you. To pay attention to you. Etc. They also reflect cute aesthetics and values that are, from the international perspective, often seen as lesser than.
The claim seems to be that this is not "substantial". That because they aren't more intellectual or mature in their presentation and lyrical discussion that they are just a "frivolous group" with "meaningless cute songs". To these individuals this is deserving of derision and often aggressive mocking. TWICE lacks "substance", they claim, so they deserve their ridicule.
Substance....
But what is "substance" exactly? What does it mean?
It seems the essence is "meaning" or "importance".
In what way has TWICE's song output not been meaningful or important to those that listen to it and cherish it?
Certainly it has meaning to me. When I put on TWICE songs I feel happy and it builds this emotional connection within me.
Is there a lack meaning or importance when a child and daughter bond over TT? Is there a lack of meaning or importance in One In A Million when people leave comments detailing how listening helped them with depression and mental health issues? Is there a lack of meaning or importance when TWICE's cute nature brings a smile to someones face, or offers some wholesome relief or mood boost when they are feeling down.
Certainly I don't see it that way.
That is meaning. That is importance. The ability to connect to people and touch them emotionally is substance. No matter it's form. Whether it's TT hand gestures, "SHY SHY SHYs", IU singing a densely lyrical ballad, or Chopin.
In my assessment the whole idea of "substance" is really a cultural euphemism for "the kind of music and style that I think has value", or to put it more broadly: "Things that I find valuable have substance. Things that I don't lack it."
I understand I will probably not change anyone's mind about this. But it's a disconnect that I am constantly aware of. I'm usually pretty good about being immune to this sort of thing. But tonight for some reason I'm.... vulnerable? I don't know. Sometimes it just becomes tiring to have the things you find important, constantly belittled as being "meaningless".
I get that everyone will find value in different things. I just wish people wouldn't go out of their way to diminish or deny the meaning groups or music, whatever the music, has for others.
Anyway.
That's my heart to heart for the night from your Resident Tzuyu Obssessed Fanboy.
:pandaroll: