Movie Why am I Just NOW Hearing About this Controversy? (2 Viewers)

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck


Essentially this movie was made by SIA in the hopes to raise awareness about Autism.
But it does an awful job of it. And now it's being nominated for a Golden Globe despite its harmful rep in it.

Also, SIA apparently did 3 years of research and somehow DIDN'T know
Autism Speaks is an awful organization!?!??!!
Not to mention she was essentially dismissing any criticism towards the film.
And then instead of addressing it she just deletes her Twitter account.

I hope she at some point reflects on this and educates herself a bit more because the stereotypes against those with autism
is so fucking damaging and messed up.
Also, I fucking hope this does not win an award because wow....yikes.

I personally don't believe in censorship but want some sort of proper response from her on this film.

What are your thoughts and do you have any opinions on it?

Adding this video as it is from someone who is Autistic
​
 
Last edited:

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
SIA as in that singer who the little girl dances for?
Yes, Maddie Ziegler and she is the main actress in this film BUT she didn't really have a say in whether she played the part or not as she was a minor when filming began and when the contract for it was signed. She can't really carry any blame in this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric and Myco

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Yes, Maddie Ziegler and she is the main actress in this film BUT she didn't really have a say in whether she played the part or not as she was a minor when filming began and when the contract for it was signed. She can't really carry any blame in this.
Oh I see, yeah I didn't plan to give her any shit for it.
I just really hope it doesn't win any awards either, misrepresentation is bad, people can see this and actually believe it
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Oh I see, yeah I didn't plan to give her any shit for it.
I just really hope it doesn't win any awards either, misrepresentation is bad, people can see this and actually believe it
True and it makes it a thousand times worse knowing Autism Speaks backs it up. it could mislead people to also think that is a great organization when in reality it sucks ass.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric and Myco

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
I saw about this, Sia got a lot of backlash on Twitter, she was trending pretty much the whole day when the trailer dropped. I have not watched and won't be watching it due to the blatant misrepresentation of people with autism.
Yeah, I can see why given the content.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mysteric
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
So, this actually delves even deeper. Maddie did not want this role, she didn't believe that she should be the one playing and thought Sia should use someone who actually has autism to show a realistic perspective. However, Sia has had this weird fascination with Maddie for years to the point it is kind of creepy. If you do some research Sia is very controlling and because Maddie was under a contract with her she wanted her to be a part of everything - MV's, photoshoots, advertisement, etc. Maddie and Sia have a truly ... ick relationship when you take a closer look.

I did not support this film upon first hearing about it, and I hope it doesn't catch any awards. For someone with such a beautiful voice, her personality is not.
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Not to mention she was super rude to autistic people complaining about it on twitter.
She was fucking awful and so beyond dismissive <.<

Like I'm pretty sure their words hold WAY more weight on this subject matter than hers does.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mayday

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
So, this actually delves even deeper. Maddie did not want this role, she didn't believe that she should be the one playing and thought Sia should use someone who actually has autism to show a realistic perspective. However, Sia has had this weird fascination with Maddie for years to the point it is kind of creepy. If you do some research Sia is very controlling and because Maddie was under a contract with her she wanted her to be a part of everything - MV's, photoshoots, advertisement, etc. Maddie and Sia have a truly ... ick relationship when you take a closer look.

I did not support this film upon first hearing about it, and I hope it doesn't catch any awards. For someone with such a beautiful voice, her personality is not.
Yeah, I've been getting randomly recommended a video on my youtube feed about Maddie's messed up relationships with adults and the image had Sia and I was so surprised because I never thought anything of it. I'll have to watch the video.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ineul_Ze
Joined
8 March 2019
Messages
6,995
Reactions Received
12,662
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
691
Fandom
Exo L
Gender
Male
Ship
Also, SIA apparently did 3 years of research and somehow DIDN'T know
Autism Speaks is an awful organization!?!??!!
Honestly, celebrities put little effort into anything. 3 years of research was probably very surface level. I'm sure she wasn't scouring peer-reviewed journals and going on forums or sub reddits to gain perspective since there are plenty of people with Autism online. But I digress.. Why even make a film though? Why not make a documentary or something. I mean if she did three years of research shouldn't that be a better medium for it rather than a fictional film. Academics. Doctors. Psychiatrists. Counselors. Parents. People with Autism. All of such people could have been consulted during the process of a documentary and would be likely more informative than whatever this film is. lol

Perhaps it is not common knowledge that Autism Speaks (AS) is toxic. And perhaps my perspective on SIA and this whole thing is biased given that I am an academic and do have Autism. but still she is projected to earn ~1 mil each year. All that economic freedom and she puts little effort into her research game :taeminface: ... Plus there are plenty of Journals that are entirely open access or have certain articles than are free to the public. Plus a barnes and noble or amazon have books on the topic that she could have read. It all just seems like bulls--t.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DearEagleZ

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread