Why Do You Stan Idols (Honestly) (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
Why Do You Stan Idols (Honestly)?



Stanning is a big part of kpop culture. It's built into the fandom culture and is a defining characteristic that differentiates it from other entertainment industries. Celebrity idolization is certainly not new or unique to kpop, but kpop incorporates this feature as a more organized and institutional construct of the entire industry.

In many respects its a very positive thing. It can offer greater connection to the music. It can facilitate community within fandoms and elsewhere through shared favorites and built in discussion topics. Idols can act as role models and figures to emulate. It can serve as alleviation or solace from other factors in ones life, personal troubles or struggles with mental health, etc. And it can simply serve to offer personal enjoyment and satisfaction in a more straightforward sense. However, it also does hold the potential to facilitate destructive behavior and other obsessive behaviors and can mask other problems or struggles within one's life.

In any case, it's a very prominent part of our world in kpop. And I think it's an interesting question to ask.

Why do you stan? Honestly.




Me:
Stanning for me is central to my enjoyment of kpop. I became fascinated with the entire concept of "idols" as role models and multi-talented entertainers that serve in a role not dissimilar to the historical geisha. Compared to the often singular and one-dimensional entertainment figures I was used to from the West, who often focus and are known for one thing.... the idol concept captured my attention. Here were individuals who not only excelled in traditional singing roles, but they also showcased skills in dance or rapping, as well as other endeavors like songwriting, choreography, etc.. They are many times models of social conduct and manners, an integral part of Korean society. They often branch out into other entertainment ventures like acting, and modeling, or hosting. The entire concept of a multi-dimensional figure to serve as an entertainment jack of all trades and aspirational role model of sorts fascinated me and really kick-started my interest in the kpop model.

Yoona, my ultimate bias, is a perfect showcase of an idol as role model and aspirational figure. Not only is she an entertainer, but she also serves as a model of behavior and conduct. This is central to my reasons for stanning, in this case, her in particular. As I truly hold respect and admiration for her. I'd like to emulate many of the attributes she showcases. Her professionalism. Her work ethic. Her kindness and geniality.

Stanning also very much helps me connect with the music and groups. I find that kpop offers a much more rich experience when I can find an idol to emotionally connect with. It makes the music and following the activities and news all the more satisfying and rewarding.

Finally.... and perhaps centrally, I also enjoy the fantasy fulfillment aspect of stanning idols. The idols I stan are literally representations of what I find attractive and the ideal conception of a partner would be. This aspect is one that can easilty bleed into obsession if one is not careful. And I intellectually recognize that. I don't have any delusions about my biases, but simply enjoy admiring them as a fan, in that capacity. I do recognize, if I'm perfectly honest, that this aspect is fueled by my current personal situation. I was in a committed relationship that I did not want to end, and I think I'm not quite ready to delve into another of that nature. So in that respect, following pretty idols and "stanning" them is very much an extension from that. I would stan even if I were in a relationship (and did for Yoona while in my prior relationship), but I don't think I will do it to quite the degree I currently do once I enter another relationship.

In any case, that's my heart to heart!
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
When I first joined Kpop, I had seen nothing like it really. I couldn't see how people became so attached to One Direction or Justin Bieber, like sure, they are (mostly) talented but I didn't get into them like my friends did. After I had discovered VIXX in 2014, I was in complete awe, amazing vocals, dancing, concepts (rap was a bit iffy for me at first but I did like it as well). Then, I began to realize that variety was a huge thing, and I just loved how each of them had their own persona. And the whole package is what has made VIXX stand out to me, because I had seen Kpop stuff before that but was never really interested until I saw them. That's why I stanned them and have continued to do so. (and I personally don't stan a lot of groups, including VIXX there have been only 3 groups that I actually stanned, and currently there's only 2 groups that I stan: VIXX and The Rose.)
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I wish I had this amazing paragraph like you. But I don't. I stan because it's fun. Definitely a great escape from reality. I like watching idols grow and have fun. I like watching them slay performances. Nothing too deep, for me.
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Dang. You really went in depth with this.
:maheart:

I stan a lot of my biases because I like their personalities and their music a lot. My first bias group was actually AOA and I kept watching Youtube videos and variety shows about them. After that I started to love them so much. I loved their music, their stage performances, and their personalities a lot. That's just how I stan idols. lol
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
When I first joined Kpop, I had seen nothing like it really. I couldn't see how people became so attached to One Direction or Justin Bieber, like sure, they are (mostly) talented but I didn't get into them like my friends did. After I had discovered VIXX in 2014, I was in complete awe, amazing vocals, dancing, concepts (rap was a bit iffy for me at first but I did like it as well). Then, I began to realize that variety was a huge thing, and I just loved how each of them had their own persona. And the whole package is what has made VIXX stand out to me, because I had seen Kpop stuff before that but was never really interested until I saw them. That's why I stanned them and have continued to do so. (and I personally don't stan a lot of groups, including VIXX there have been only 3 groups that I actually stanned, and currently there's only 2 groups that I stan: VIXX and The Rose.)
It's great to find a group that you can love from so many angles. And to make that connection with their personalities and members.

Happy you found VIXX.

:)
 

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
For me stanning means the time I will invest in a group. While I do like ALOT of artists, groups and songs, stanning is one step further in the sense of trying to promote them, spread the word about them to others, share moments more closely together with other stans, in general having more emotions for one group than the others, but not necessarily buying all their merch and fan articles, that's just like that little extra thingy that you could have but isn't needed
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
I wish I had this amazing paragraph like you. But I don't. I stan because it's fun. Definitely a great escape from reality. I like watching idols grow and have fun. I like watching them slay performances. Nothing too deep, for me.
You don't need paragraphs.


All that matters is you enjoy it and it makes you happy!
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
For me stanning means the time I will invest in a group. While I do like ALOT of artists, groups and songs, stanning is one step further in the sense of trying to promote them, spread the word about them to others, share moments more closely together with other stans, in general having more emotions for one group than the others, but not necessarily buying all their merch and fan articles, that's just like that little extra thingy that you could have but isn't needed
That's how I see it as well.

To me the essence of "stanning" is forming an emotional connection to a group or idol.
 
Last edited:

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
idk if i sound weird but i develop an emotional connection to idols all of the idols i stan i like the personality of even if the music isn't to my taste
Doesn't sound weird at all.

I didn't explicitly say that but that's the way I am as well.
 

igloo

cheesecake is delicious
.
Joined
31 August 2018
Messages
2,562
Reactions Received
15,940
Location
in the rain
Website
www.pinterest.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,748
Fandom
N/A
Gender
Male
Ship
for idols themselves, for me, stan=like
for groups it's different but stanning idols for me is super casual, especially now that i dedicate less and less time to kpop culture
and as to what would drive me to stan any one idol, there are many factors, but usually idols don't grab me enough musically so i just go with looks
 
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
1,647
Reactions Received
6,994
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't use the word 'stan' to describe myself.

I had my first run in with snsd in 08 and was completely dazzled by them. And then I came across shinees rdd in 09 and I was just sucked it.
I don't know how to describe it but it made me very happy. Also I enjoyed "supporting" someone in their dreams.
I admired them for chasing after their dreams, and became my motivation for chasing mine.

I'm not into fandoms anymore, I don't 'stream', I don't ship, and I don't read/write ff either... and no romantic interests in idols themselves.
It's just admiration.
I buy albums, watch content and go to concerts when I can.
As long as it makes me happy i'll still be here.​
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
for idols themselves, for me, stan=like
for groups it's different but stanning idols for me is super casual, especially now that i dedicate less and less time to kpop culture
and as to what would drive me to stan any one idol, there are many factors, but usually idols don't grab me enough musically so i just go with looks
What's igloo doing with his time! More workouts? Ms. igloos?

😄
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sory and igloo

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Shortly music, enjoyment and admiration, and i guess you could add attraction to that in some sense though it's not always factor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sory and igloo

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Honestly, I just came across it randomly and I started stanning before even knowing that stanning was an actual thing in K-Pop. The main reason I was interested in the first place was because it was so different to what I was used to. I just randomly came across some catchy but weird music with a bunch of boys dancing in the MV. I just loved how clean it all was compared to everything else that was being released in the languages I understand. After a while, it became something that excited me and made me happy. So now I'm just here because it makes me happy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sory

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread