COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Why I think idols shouldn't be cancelled for racist slipups (1 Viewer)

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
I think idols really shouldn't be cancelled for small slip ups, that can be considered racist.
This includes braids, statements that are ignorant or acting disrespectful towards some other cultures or races.

In most cases these mistakes aren't made out of malice.
They are made out of ignorance.
And even if those mistakes are repeated and people go "they should know better by now" that might not be the case at all.

To most of us problems like racism, sexism and homophobia etc have been made quite clear. We have heard the stories and a lot of us have experienced those themselves. These topics are relevant to us. They aren't to most idols.

These topics aren't at the top of idols minds. They aren't relevant to them more than them getting backlash for saying those things. Why would a Korean idol know much about the struggles of black people? Korea is knows to be quite a conservative country, so it would make sense for them to not be as familiar with these topics or think about them much.

If you've never thought much about racism etc, it won't occur to you that what you might be currently saying or doing could be racist, because you well... don't think about it. it wouldn't even occur to you, because it has never been relevant to your life. Why would an idol getting braids for a comeback think about how it affects black people? This topic has never been important to them.

In some cases I can even excuse things like homophobia. This I will give a LOT less leeway to, but in the case of SuJu's Siwon for example, who has on record stated he refuses to acknowledge the validity of gay people... I am not mad at him for that. Why? because he only talked about his opinions on this topic when ASKED about it. He isn't going around spreading hate. He is religious and he has a right to an opinion. I've never seen any other evidence of his homophobia. And if the only way his homophobia is shown is him saying it when asked about it.... he can continue to believe it if he wants to.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
My feelings:

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
totally agree. I hate how racist is thrown around so lighthy which makes the actual meaning of the word and how severe it is get lost.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I agree, I think intention always matters and lot of time people don't mean anything bad. Ofc if they end up doing blackface or sth rly bad like that they should apologize and learn from it. And I think it's rly short-sighted of companies to not educate idols at all taken how international kpop has gotten. But I guess slip ups still happen about things they should be more educated about already like Tiffany's rising sun sticker so people do mistakes and often unintentionally.

In terms of Siwon.. I don't think he's doing it out of ignorance or as mistake it's genuinely his opinion. I think he can have his opinion and I don't hate him for it. But I don't really support him and his take on homosexuality is probably biggest reason for it.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
In terms of Siwon.. I don't think he's doing it out of ignorance or as mistake it's genuinely his opinion. I think he can have his opinion and I don't hate him for it. But I don't really support him and his take on homosexuality is probably biggest reason for it.
Yeah in his case I can understand disliking him for his views. I mean... if you wouldn't be friends with smbdy with those views, you wouldn't be a fan of him bcs he has those views.

The difference is in not stanning them or cancelling them and demanding OTHERS stop being a fan of him due to those reasons as well.

Faerie

I just wanna love myself, Love my weakness
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Once
Wreck
I’m agree for the most parts but most “slips ups” I can not forgive for example.

a major one was

Another would be Teen Top CAP. Now this guys was my bias until this moment when he said “
When I’m thirty I want to become a father. I will raise my children in a cool way. I would give my son anything he wants and I will take care of him so he can grow up. As for my daughter, it is a woman’s job to stay at home. If she needed to be I would hit her and keep her locked up at home.”

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
I’m agree for the most parts but most “slips ups” I can not forgive for example.

a major one was

Another would be Teen Top CAP. Now this guys was my bias until this moment when he said “
When I’m thirty I want to become a father. I will raise my children in a cool way. I would give my son anything he wants and I will take care of him so he can grow up. As for my daughter, it is a woman’s job to stay at home. If she needed to be I would hit her and keep her locked up at home.”
Now these are no longer slipups, these are solidified opinions. And unlike the Siwon case, they aren't keeping their opinions to themselves unless asked and are volunteering this information about their opinions because they want others to know their position in there questions.

I don't like them either.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I think similarly that cultural appropriation is not a topic there is a consensus on, some people think it is needed for some reason and others think it's useless or even damaging so with no clear line drawn you can't expect people to know what is a problem.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Depends on what those slip ups are. There are a lot of colorist comments that idols make towards one another that I don’t like and they kinda get swept under the rug by fans. I think a lot of fans use this “they’re ignorant they don’t know any better” excuse on everything because they don’t want to admit that their faves might have done something bad. And tbh that can apply to a lot of idols who didn’t have bad intentions but you know, it’s a slippery slope.

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
i think most of the times idols aren't really "cancelled" for such things. sure there is some outrage on twitter and stuff but it doesn't seriously affect their career. and of course, i don't think it should because people make mistakes all the time and "cancelling" them for that doesn't really help.
well, with siwon that is a whole different case, i like some songs by his group but i'm never gonna support a person who's openly against gay people because first of all that would be hypocritical. also homophobia is not really an opinion, you don't get to agree or disagree with someone's sexuality just like you don't agree or disagree with someone's skin colour and other things that people don't get to choose. but i'm also not going to demand others to stop being a fan of him (i would find it questionable if he used his platform to spread homophobic views which is something he thankfully doesn't do) simply because it's not my business who other people support and for me it would be a waste of time.

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
People seems to forget that Korea has a quite "racist and sexist" point of view and that's hoe these people are brought up. Every country has a different viewing point on these topics so people get offended when someone says something, but forget the person isn't brought up with the same points of views.
It's really stupid and selfish that i-fans take (in most cases) America's point of view and cancel idols and try to push their beliefs and views on idols.
Fans know that Korea is racist and sexist, but they don't think about the fact that a lot of idols got raised with these standards, especially older idols. Luckily there seems to be a mentality change in general so newer idols are more "woke".

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
At the end of the day, certain types of stans are rarely, if ever, going to understand what it feels like to stan someone who thinks lesser of you for some superficial reason like skin color or gender.

Contrary to what Twitter would lead you to believe, most stans do understand the difference in culture that Koreans are brought up in. Ignorance or them just them not knowing better is a somewhat decent excuse for them doing it but that doesn't mean fans, particularly fans of color, should force themselves to put up with it

If an idol shouldn't be expected to abandon their beliefs and values for stans, you can't reasonably ask stans to do the same for idols.
Everyone has their own limits of what they can and can't contend with. That's their business.

And to be frank, cancel culture really doesn't exist the way people like to claim it does. People who never liked that idol in the first place will come down on them for about 4 hours and then move on. The idol's career is fine and everyone generally moves on

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
And to be frank, cancel culture really doesn't exist the way people like to claim it does. People who never liked that idol in the first place will come down on them for about 4 hours and then move on. The idol's career is fine and everyone generally moves on
That's totally wrong, i've seen incidents being talked about from idols years after it happened.

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
That's totally wrong, i've seen incidents being talked about from idols years after it happened.
Move on probably isn't the best phrase, more like "Stores rage away for next incident". But still, the noise tends to fade as quickly as it came

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
At the end of the day, certain types of stans are rarely, if ever, going to understand what it feels like to stan someone who thinks lesser of you for some superficial reason like skin color or gender.
Then stop stanning??? Problem solved???

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Move on probably isn't the best phrase, more like "Stores rage away for next incident". But still, the noise tends to fade as quickly as it came
The top comment on the JYP and Mamamoo collaboration stage was about them both having done blackface and there was no new thing there and when Mamamoo did it they apologised 4 times for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread