Why "On" underperform ? (1 Viewer)

Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
The song isn't really experiemental neither groundbreaking it's pretty generic type of sound
But why this song is underperforming so hard while bts become more and more popular ?

This comeback was very hype by the entire kpop community
but for example
BTS on was released 2 months ago and they still didn't break the 200M digital points
the number of points gain is also almost equal to songs like Psycho who was release 4 months ago or any song, or Blueming by IU

1587663093411.png


Their digital point quickly decrease every week after the release of ON

1587663301390.png


+ red velvet is still the group song with the highest weekly and digital peak
and still the song with the longest hours in genie top 5




What in your opinion explain the reason of the underperformance of ON ?
 
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
idk but I saw that it wasn't really that much talked about on this forum in particular.
Kinda curious as well tho. I can't really recall anything about the cb tho
i also notice this
that this comeback didn't really make people talk about it weirdly like every previous comeback of BTS
it kind of feel like nobody care about their comeback this time
 

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
i also notice this
that this comeback didn't really make people talk about it weirdly like every previous comeback of BTS
it kind of feel like nobody care about their comeback this time
idk if this played a factor but I recently noticed that vocal-wise a lot of their (title) songs sound similar? Like their vocals sound really... technical robot-ish. It baffles me that I only noticed it now since I listened a lot at their old stuff
 
Joined
16 February 2020
Messages
462
Reactions Received
1,176
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I think it's because of the new promotion style that bighit tried out. Like releasing black swan, shadow, ego, etc and on has like 2 videos so does black swan. I think the way they promoted it just doesn't work out? Other than that I have no idea anyone who is a big brained army come explain 😅
 

bulletproof

✧ @karina is the eva to my noora ✧
.
.
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
12,423
Reactions Received
54,952
Location
ARMY base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
55
Gender
Female
Ship
I agree with @Shimmer
I think it is because of the new strategy. Also Black swan got a lot of attention, maybe even more than ON so there was less hype for ON
 
Joined
18 April 2019
Messages
2,326
Reactions Received
7,732
Location
TXT's Hair Line
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Wreck
Hmm, I'm not very good at this kinda of thing, but maybe people are less interested in their music cause they've lost their touch? Which i mean i loved ON and the rest of the album, but a part of me wonders if it was all the calibrations, like how they first introduced black swan, and the first mv of ON.
I'm not sure maybe get some other Army's opinion.
 
Joined
21 November 2018
Messages
5,047
Reactions Received
18,455
Location
ARMY Base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8
Ship
Just because it doesnt break a record, it doesnt mean it underperformed, but i literally know nothing about charts so...
I think the new style bighit tried is big factor, army is huge but you cant keep a fandom all excited for 6 weeks. We got so many content tho. It was just hard to keep up, even after the cb they still released like 2 other mvs.
Also you cannot always release stuff everyone likes.
As for why no one talked about it here. We only have a few active armys. Every time there is a bts thread, its not popular. Ofc its no different when it comes to their cb. I think i made thread when black swan was released tho, but i hanged out at another forum when the cb happened.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
The promotion style. I think the majority of people thought black swan was the title track. So with big hit waiting so long to release on, I think everyone thought the comeback already happened. Or at least their casual fans did. Big hit fucked up big time. I personally think black swan would have done way better and I’m still confused why it wasn’t the title track...
 

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
5,597
Reactions Received
18,451
Location
Serbia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
-52
Fandom
Multi-king
Gender
Male
Ship
A lot of people just didn't care. I for one cared for it not. My 2 friends that used to listen to BTS also cared very little for it.
We all listened to it but like it didn't stay on our radar for longer than just that one week.

The thing is some people are just growing out of their BTS faze and learned a lot about other groups in the mean time which might now be their focus.
It's also the fact that as time passes fans just get more toxic and since ARMY's are the most populous they just get more people to stop caring...
 

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I know nothing of this sort of thing so I honestly couldn't tell you. For me personally I didn't like On and preferred Black Swan over it, I feel like that's how quite a few others were but I can't speak for everyone.
 
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
I think it's because of the new promotion style that bighit tried out. Like releasing black swan, shadow, ego, etc and on has like 2 videos so does black swan. I think the way they promoted it just doesn't work out? Other than that I have no idea anyone who is a big brained army come explain 😅
the number of videos doesn't have much to do with this since it's about stream etc....
 
  • Like
Reactions: QueenGirlCrush
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
Also I think another factor is on isn't as gp friendly compared to bwl, even though a lot may criticize bwl for being generic, it is very gp friendly
Yeah but i mean it's not a good example
It's might not be as gp friendly than bwl
It's still very very very gp friendly
And song like psycho or hip in their sounds are less friendly than on but are doing better
 
  • Like
Reactions: QueenGirlCrush
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
The promotion style. I think the majority of people thought black swan was the title track. So with big hit waiting so long to release on, I think everyone thought the comeback already happened. Or at least their casual fans did. Big hit fucked up big time. I personally think black swan would have done way better and I’m still confused why it wasn’t the title track...
The think is not if people thought black swan or on were the title track since both song underperform
Like for example hip and psycho who were released in 2019
Have better digital in 2020
Than black swan did in his first week of release
Less buzz and attention before their release but outperfom on and black swan
Without telling that psycho didn't have any promotion
And mamamoo promotion aren'ts as good than the one bts had at every one of their release
 
  • Like
Reactions: amourpinks
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
I know nothing of this sort of thing so I honestly couldn't tell you. For me personally I didn't like On and preferred Black Swan over it, I feel like that's how quite a few others were but I can't speak for everyone.
Yeah but black swan too underperform

Basically this comeback underperform in korea
Black swan and on
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wingfrost
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
A lot of people just didn't care. I for one cared for it not. My 2 friends that used to listen to BTS also cared very little for it.
We all listened to it but like it didn't stay on our radar for longer than just that one week.

The thing is some people are just growing out of their BTS faze and learned a lot about other groups in the mean time which might now be their focus.
It's also the fact that as time passes fans just get more toxic and since ARMY's are the most populous they just get more people to stop caring...
I kind of feel this among the kpop community
Usually bts comeback are hype for weeks
But weirdly i feel like nowadays i heard more about group like ateez among the kpop community than i do abt bts

And i don't even listen to ateez
 
  • Like
Reactions: RainbowDevil

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
.
.
Joined
4 September 2018
Messages
4,702
Reactions Received
16,711
Location
Old Folk's Home
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5,552
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I think it's just the way they were promoted this year. There was too much going on. Two videos of Black Swan, the first one being a weird edit of the song with dancers who aren't even bts and the second kind of trailed along as a weird step child even if it was the better sounding version with bts in it. And On just kinda trailed after the two like oh hi, I guess I'm here too. Fans didn't know what to focus on anymore.

Also, they promoted "on" in the US first and possibly made the hype in SK fall flat because of it. Imho they need to stop doing that. The US is never gonna care as much as KR does. They like their basic American artists too much.

Tldr; they did too much at once and promoted in a ridiculously weird way.

(I also don't think a lot of fans are leaving like what was said above. I see a shit ton of fans around BUT on KS? Lol no, there's very little of us that are consistently active here vs girl groups or those that like the lesser known bgs. There's plenty active on other forms.)

Lastly... Another factor is... I think Covid19 might have shifted a lot of people's attention elsewhere. Like for me; I didn't care as much about kpop rn because I'm too damn busy trying to handle this situation that's going on (especially in Healthcare). But this last part is just speculation.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread