A Pet Peeve Of Mine That Stans Do (1 Viewer)

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
"Idol A wouldn't have as much sales if not for their Chinese Stans"
"Most of idol B's streams come from SEA"
"Group C isn't even popular in Korea. Most their sales come from the West"

I've never understood that mentality. The name of the game for idols is to get as many fans as possible, what does it matter where the fans come from? Kfans aren't the only fans that matter. Why do we, ifans ourselves, look down at fans from other countries? :dubuthink:

Anyway, Stan Cherry Bullet
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Some fans, western fans especially tend to look down on asian popularity. Like many will argue BP is more popular than Twice because they are more known in america.
Mixed feelings on that
Blackpink gets looked down for their SEA fanbase a lot by other Stans, especially Onces and armys
I think BP is more popular than Twice is some areas and Twice is more popular than BP in other areas
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
Whether the sales come from Korea or anywhere else, the idols are getting their money so I'm happy either way.

I've heard that a group is not popular if they are not well known in Korea but I don't really understand that mindset either. In the end, it comes down to sales and fans. It doesn't really matter where they come from imo.
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
4,371
Reactions Received
11,118
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
330
Fandom
ReVeluv
Gender
Female

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
People just find anything to bicker about. Who cares where they come from? Fans are fans, though K-fans and I-fans do make a difference. Like, I don't care if a group gets a million streams in Nigeria compared to America, it really doesn't matter.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,679
Reactions Received
93,479
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,868
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Whether the sales come from Korea or anywhere else, the idols are getting their money so I'm happy either way.

I've heard that a group is not popular if they are not well known in Korea but I don't really understand that mindset either. In the end, it comes down to sales and fans. It doesn't really matter where they come from imo.
not really true take Kard for example to my knowledge they were doing well outside Korea.
If Korean popularity is limited they may not promote in Korea much as such content will be limited.

At the end of the day its still a Korean industry, almost exclusively in Korean thus Korean popularity is nominally the most important.
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
not really true take Kard for example to my knowledge they were doing well outside Korea.
If Korean popularity is limited they may not promote in Korea much as such content will be limited.

At the end of the day its still a Korean industry, almost exclusively in Korean thus Korean popularity is nominally the most important.
I agree with what you are saying but Kard still make quite a bit of sales due to their popularity outside Korea compared to other groups that have similar sized fanbases in Korea.

Korean popularity is still important but I don't think it is as much as people say it is.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,679
Reactions Received
93,479
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,868
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I agree with what you are saying but Kard still make quite a bit of sales due to their popularity outside Korea compared to other groups that have similar sized fanbases in Korea.

Korean popularity is still important but I don't think it is as much as people say it is.
Sure they make some money, but its not all about the money.
for a newer group especially.

established groups like say BoA, TVXQ, 2PM ect can now live off of Japan.


For example would bp bts or exo ect work if they never ever used Korean to promote again?(twice might since they actually use Japanese)
I do not know the answer to that but i think the novelty would wear off quick.
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
Sure they make some money, but its not all about the money.
for a newer group especially.

established groups like say BoA, TVXQ, 2PM ect can now live off of Japan.


For example would bp bts or exo ect work if they never ever used Korean to promote again?(twice might)
I do not know the answer to that but i think the novelty would wear off quick.
Hmm... That does make sense. Fanbase in Korea is quite important.

I still think that it isn't as important as international fans hype it up to be though. Groups like Ateez are huge in terms of international popularity right now (concerts were all sold out) , and because of this, their popularity in Korea is growing so I think it goes both ways.
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
K-fans and International fans seem to agree on one thing : Sea fans are second class fans because they are all poor so they are not going to financially support theirs faves.
I mean, I wouldn't really call them second-class just because they can't support their idols the way a lot of other fans do. It doesn't really make them "less".
With that logic, any fan that doesn't buy idol products isn't as "good" as a fan as others, which doesn't really make sense.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Some fans, western fans especially tend to look down on asian popularity. Like many will argue BP is more popular than Twice because they are more known in america.
Mm, i kinda tend to focus more on popularity in west cause to me it's kpop branching out more. Like Blackpink nowadays is simply lot more in my face than Twice is, when i go mall I hear them playing Kill This Love- or Boy with Luv, even if I live opposite side of the world from Korea. They don't really play other groups (well other than PSY). But i kinda get the point of downplaying popularity from Asian countries cause that's quite crucial for kpop acts. But maybe the mentality, for me as well, is that Asian popularity has been done already it's not new territory? So even small popularity in west feels bigger? Or is it just cause I live in west :dubuthink:
 

maruberry

🌈✨ FREE HUGS ✨🌈
.
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
13,505
Reactions Received
41,701
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
514
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
Mm, i kinda tend to focus more on popularity in west cause to me it's kpop branching out more. Like Blackpink nowadays is simply lot more in my face than Twice is, when i go mall I hear them playing Kill This Love- or Boy with Luv, even if I live opposite side of the world from Korea. They don't really play other groups (well other than PSY). But i kinda get the point of downplaying popularity from Asian countries cause that's quite crucial for kpop acts. But maybe the mentality, for me as well, is that Asian popularity has been done already it's not new territory? So even small popularity in west feels bigger? Or is it just cause I live in west :dubuthink:
Probably because you live in the west I feel like. in America you hear a BP song every now and again in public, but in Korean or japan I imagine it would be quite a normal thing.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
I mean, I wouldn't really call them second-class just because they can't support their idols the way a lot of other fans do. It doesn't really make them "less".
With that logic, any fan that doesn't buy idol products isn't as "good" as a fan as others, which doesn't really make sense.
Yes. And this is not true like they are not all poor. It’s so ignorant to think that. Blackpink sell their concert tickets in Sea like hot cakes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Mayday
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,679
Reactions Received
93,479
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,868
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Hmm... That does make sense. Fanbase in Korea is quite important.

I still think that it isn't as important as international fans hype it up to be though. Groups like Ateez are huge in terms of international popularity right now (concerts were all sold out) , and because of this, their popularity in Korea is growing so I think it goes both ways.
I will use my self as an example.
Generations are separate
as a 2nd gen i fan i was a good ifan bought every album watched the videos a few times was obsessive on youtube content from korea (tv radio ect) and i did really try to see snsd that last cb in korea
.
as a 3gen ifan i am spectacular to insane in everything but youtube/spotify views listens
i have every album in each version in many many cases i have multiples so say 5 - 20 copies of an album. for another example I have been to all 5 rv shows in Korea and 3 of 8 in the usa.

poor to average kfans have that number of albums and they have dl from the real sites.

most i fans do not buy albums and may not even pay for the songs. Maybe they go to a concert(if avaliable )or watch youtube.

That is the money that drives kpop and pays staff/artist salaries

its even crazier when you consider the TIME kfans spend on their faves. Most go to multiple music shows/ events. These are all day things.
Then they might be at the fan sign or the radio show that night.

I made 1 mcountdown filming and 2 fansigns. There are fans there who have been to all of them. That has a huge impact on the artists.
SNSD had a lady come thru the Holiday line that had the girls crying since she had been to a fansign for every album.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: potato and yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
yep a pet peeve of mine too. Really never understood that mentality
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sory and RandAlThor

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Yes. And this is not true like they are not all poor. It’s so ignorant to think that. Blackpink sell their concert tickets in Sea like hot cakes.
Yeah. Blackpink are probably the most popular GG in SEA. Probably the most popular KPOP group in SEA, period.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evergreen and yeji

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread