G(I)-dle Going Viral on Twitter. Not for Good Reasons (2 Viewers)

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
Well the thing about (G)I-dle that makes it hard to defend them is this is another incident for them and them saying their music is "Ethnic Hip" really jumped the boat as they just said their concept is incorporating other cultures music into their music and from Soyeons explanation it seems like they barely know anything about it which is perfect fuel for people who are strongly against cultural appropriation.
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
Not their job for sure but basically they are doing cultural appropriation. Using another culture sound without knowing about it or without knowing that African music is way more than drums and a chief scream. It’s really offensive because it looks like they summarize African music to that. I don’t see an issue though about taking inspiration in another culture music but they need to try to educate themselves on the subject first.
I don't think they were trying to summarise African music. They wanted to give a traditional African vibe to the song by incorporating elements of African instruments and sounds. I still don't see how this can be offensive no matter how many angles I try to look at it from.

I think people are going overboard with it tbh. Imo they're not 'culturally appropriating' it because they're perfectly aware where the sounds come from. The girls might have not known much about the sounds at the time of the conversation but we have to remember that this was only when they were looking at ideas. They would have done an awful lot more research into different African sounds to produce the final piece.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Ineul_Ze and yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I honestly don't see much of an issue here. Ignorance is the only thing in my opinion that people could claim.
How I see it: people are getting mostly mad since Idle had a past issue with something similar.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jasque and potato
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
I don't think they were trying summarising African music. They wanted to give a traditional African vibe to the song by incorporating elements of African instruments and sounds. I still don't see how this can be offensive no matter how many angles I try to look at it from.

I think people are going overboard with it tbh. Imo they're not 'culturally appropriating' it because they're perfectly aware where the sounds come from. The girls might have not known much about the sounds at the time of the conversation but we have to remember that this was only when they were looking at ideas. They would have done an awful lot more research into different African sounds to produce the final piece.

We are never going to agree on this. First of all because my English is bad so I can’t express my opinion very well and secondly because cultural appropriation is not about ignoring what another culture is made of. Not necessarily at least. Kim Kardashian perfectly knew where the Box braids came from before renaming it the Kim Kardashian braids.

For G-idle it’s different. They just sound ignorant when they are saying : Let’s go for an African sound, Yuqi you are going for a chief scream and we want drums.

I don’t want to sound rude and what I am going to say doesn’t only apply to you but can we stop telling people what is offensive or not because a bunch of haters take this opportunity to hate on the girls without caring about the issue ? I am perfectly aware that some people are trying to turn that into a fanwar as usual but they just made a mistake. Can we acknowledge it and move on ?
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
We are never going to agree on this. First of all because my English is bad so I can’t express my opinion very well and secondly because cultural appropriation is not about ignoring what another culture is made of. Not necessarily at least. Kim Kardashian perfectly knew where the Box braids came from before renaming it the Kim Kardashian braids.

For G-idle it’s different. They just sound ignorant when they are saying : Let’s go for an African sound, Yuqi you are going for a chief scream and we want drums.

I don’t want to sound rude and what I am going to say doesn’t only apply to you but can we stop telling people what is offensive or not because a bunch of haters take this opportunity to hate on the girls without caring about the issue ? I am perfectly aware that some people are trying to turn that into a fanwar as usual but they just made a mistake. Can we acknowledge it and move on ?
Nooo, I was just stating my opinion on the matter. I didn't mean to force my opinion on you at all.. I'm sorry if you felt that way :(

It's all a matter of opinion in this case. I just feel like it's just been exaggerated like it always is in these cases. It didn't sound ignorant to me but it might sound that way to others.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evergreen and yeji
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
It just seems like another non-issue that people are to reaching be offended over. It's quite stupid to me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and potato
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
Nooo, I was just stating my opinion on the matter. I didn't mean to force my opinion on you at all.. I'm sorry if you felt that way :(

It's all a matter of opinion in this case. I just feel like it's just been exaggerated like it always is in these cases. It didn't sound ignorant to me but it might sound that way to others.
We have different opinions on this matter . Not a problem for me. :nekolove:

love you anyways :pandalove:
 
Joined
6 September 2018
Messages
1,873
Reactions Received
6,954
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Because it’s not African style, it’s a bunch of stereotypes.African/chief drum and what’s next ? I told to my sister in law to watch that she doesn’t know anything about Kpop but she is pissed off. At least Big Hit did some research before going for an African sound in Idol.

And wtf is an ethnic hip ?

Don’t get me wrong. I am not angry and not into the cancel culture but what they did were offensive for some people. Denying it is worst.
OMG YESS. Finally someone said it, I'm sick of people acting like gidle are innocent female idols getting attacked only bcuz they're female🥴
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship


Cultural appropriation doesn’t exist y’all so boring give me something GOOD to be outraged over
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: jasque and potato
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
  • Angry
Reactions: potato
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Anyone who ships dotae flops
:haylul: Since when did anyone care about what you had to say it’s all about my opinion!!!!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: yeji and potato

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread