should kpop fans boycott yg? (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I dont care who uses prostitutes really who cares...
Im 24 years old and im not blind to the world...

People smoke weed - dont care
people use prostitutes - dont care

I put my priorities where it matters...
I care if...
They have put other peoples lives at risk..
Stolen...
Harmed anyone livelihood or life in any shape or form...
Or they are homophobic

You can harm your own body as much as you like i dont care
My issue with prostitution isn't someone choosing to sell sexual services and someone else buying it, but issues that surround it. Human trafficking, underage prostitution, sexual abuse and even slavery, the horrible image of women (products to be used) and such. So I do find lot of distaste in alleged actions of YG and Seungri even if neither of them doesn't seem to be associated with non-consentual stuff.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,579
Reactions Received
6,439
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
My issue with prostitution isn't someone choosing to sell sexual services and someone else buying it, but issues that surround it. Human trafficking, underage prostitution, sexual abuse and even slavery, the horrible image of women (products to be used) and such. So I do find lot of distaste in alleged actions of YG and Seungri even if neither of them doesn't seem to be associated with non-consentual stuff.
But they havent been accused of being pimps have they?
plus no one has said the girls were under age?
correct me if im wrong on above..

We know they got nice handbags < what at the end of the day could just been given hand bags
so they wernt technically paid to be there
and only some of them had sex...
so by the sound of it he just paid for escorts as they didnt have to have sex just some ended up having sex
we also dont know if the people who had sex with the girls paid themselves
and yg only gave them bags to be at the party itself
 
  • Like
Reactions: blueberries

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
But they havent been accused of being pimps have they?
plus no one has said the girls were under age?
correct me if im wrong on above..

We know they got nice handbags < what at the end of the day could just been given hand bags
so they wernt technically paid to be there
and only some of them had sex...
so by the sound of it he just paid for escorts as they didnt have to have sex just some ended up having sex
we also dont know if the people who had sex with the girls paid themselves
and yg only gave them bags to be at the party itself
Well we don't know lot about women in this particular case, how they ended up being prostitutes- or escorts and I doubt YG- if he paid for them- knows either. My distaste towards prostitution is more general, it's quite shady and has tons of issues- and idol company being associated with it while selling image of pure idols (well YG artist don't have purest concepts around, but still not quite in sex business either xd) is just off. That and poor image of women that South Korea has.. and Seungri's texts describing these women like cuts of meats to pick.. no thanks ^^;

I get that not everyone has issue wit hYG being associated with prostitution, but in other than I get people wanting to boycot company for it as well. I'm just mostly into supporting artists and wanting YG to get their shit together, focusing on music and stop harming the artists ^^;
 

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
what exactly is the point of boycotting at this point other than hurting the artists?

police are already looking into yg. management is going to change or idols are going to jump ship. but there's no reason to boycott people who didn't do anything. it's not like lee hi asked yg to stop soliciting prostitutes when she couldn't even ask for a comeback for 3 years. ridiculous.
 
Joined
1 June 2019
Messages
624
Reactions Received
851
Location
In La La Land
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
161
Gender
Other
There's one thing that big and well-known companies don't like : "bad publicity". It can cost them a lot...of....money...And rebuilding the image after can be quite difficult...
And it's YG, by its conduct, which has hurt the artists not really the fans...
 
  • Like
Reactions: blueberries

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
The other artists had nothing to do with anything, they're innocent as far as we know. I also don't believe YG is the only company to be doing shady things behind the scenes. I just try to remember that the majority of idols are just trying to live their dreams of being a singer and are unfortunately under awful companies. I understand people being angry at the situation and it's definitely something that should be talked about more so things like this don't happen in the future, but why drag other people into it who had nothing to do with the crimes? It just doesn't make sense to me.
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Boycotting YG himself and Seungri is one thing, but boycotting innocent artists is another. Why should people boycott those who have nothing to do with the incident? It’s completely pointless and it’s just going to hurt those who have done nothing wrong.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I'm on the fence. I don't want to hurt the artist but money to them is more money to the company.

I feel like if they actually got rid of the problem people there would be less calls for Boycotts. But since they've kept them on it just makes them look suspicious.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,679
Reactions Received
93,487
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,868
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
what exactly is the point of boycotting at this point other than hurting the artists?

police are already looking into yg. management is going to change or idols are going to jump ship. but there's no reason to boycott people who didn't do anything. it's not like lee hi asked yg to stop soliciting prostitutes when she couldn't even ask for a comeback for 3 years. ridiculous.
if there is no financial cost to bad behavior companies will continue to do it.

The Only way for fans or the public to impact that is thru cutting off money to the company.
And the only way to do that first cuts off support for the artists ie the money making side of the company.

That is the point. Noone trusts the police at this point its obvious they neither have the will, resolve or the power to solve the issue.

will an effective boycott happen .. . unlikely for exactly the reasons folks stated in the thread, and the companies count on fans who at the end of the day will support their artists.
Folks are still supporting the bb kid.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,679
Reactions Received
93,487
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,868
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
My issue with prostitution isn't someone choosing to sell sexual services and someone else buying it, but issues that surround it. Human trafficking, underage prostitution, sexual abuse and even slavery, the horrible image of women (products to be used) and such. So I do find lot of distaste in alleged actions of YG and Seungri even if neither of them doesn't seem to be associated with non-consentual stuff.
At the end of the day a non trivial amount of even 'consenting adult' sex workers are trafficked / not really consenting. Let alone the others you listed. I hold all who participate in utter disgust, the illusion that these are victim less crimes is just that.
 

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
if there is no financial cost to bad behavior companies will continue to do it.

The Only way for fans or the public to impact that is thru cutting off money to the company.
And the only way to do that first cuts off support for the artists ie the money making side of the company.

That is the point. Noone trusts the police at this point its obvious they neither have the will, resolve or the power to solve the issue.

will an effective boycott happen .. . unlikely for exactly the reasons folks stated in the thread, and the companies count on fans who at the end of the day will support their artists.
Folks are still supporting the bb kid.
the only way things are going to change is yg being held accountable to the things he's already being accused of doing and therefore making people more critical of his successor to uphold the values yg didn't uphold himself. that isn't something a boycott is going to achieve, but police and due process can. why do you think they don't have the resolve or power to solve this issue?
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,679
Reactions Received
93,487
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,868
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
the only way things are going to change is yg being held accountable to the things he's already being accused of doing and therefore making people more critical of his successor to uphold the values yg didn't uphold himself. that isn't something a boycott is going to achieve, but police and due process can. why do you think they don't have the resolve or power to solve this issue?
The examples up thread and the lessons of the past year. Show that no real damage will happen to yg from the law or government.

they reopened that actresses's case and said we cant find any letter..... yet a letter had to exist at some time... nothing happened.
burning sun .... relocated with its current staff and has been back in business for months.
This is surely not the only club of its type being run or protected.
 

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
The examples up thread and the lessons of the past year. Show that no real damage will happen to yg from the law or government.

they reopened that actresses's case and said we cant find any letter..... yet a letter had to exist at some time... nothing happened.
burning sun .... relocated with its current staff and has been back in business for months.
This is surely not the only club of its type being run or protected.
all that suggests to me is need for systemic change. i really doubt yg himself will get out of this, but that's not to say the problem will stop with him. either way a boycott is not going to work because even if the company actually faces financial losses, they'll do whatever it takes to placate the masses until they can start up again, which in the music industry wouldn't take long at all. meanwhile they'll lay off whoever they can to absorb those losses.

i just think it makes more sense to hold the police accountable to make sure they keep digging. from what i've seen i don't see the police losing their will to keep pursuing this.
 

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
.
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
8,197
Reactions Received
27,145
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
But they havent been accused of being pimps have they?
plus no one has said the girls were under age?
correct me if im wrong on above..

We know they got nice handbags < what at the end of the day could just been given hand bags
so they wernt technically paid to be there
and only some of them had sex...
so by the sound of it he just paid for escorts as they didnt have to have sex just some ended up having sex
we also dont know if the people who had sex with the girls paid themselves
and yg only gave them bags to be at the party itself
The issue was that it's illegal. He broke the law. That was what the issue was. If he did that, there are so many other things he could have done.
 
  • Like
Reactions: blueberries

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
seriously... like I have yet to see any people who actually stan yg artists saying that theyre gonna boycott lmaoo....
Well, let me be the first you see! I'm not buying or consuming ANY YG content until SERIOUS changes are made internally, I believe 100% in the prostitution and rape allegations that have been made and although I respect all of your choices to not boycott YG if you don't want to I think it's really ignorant of you @MonCherry and @Poetry to write off these allegations so flippantly. Yoo In Suk has already admitted that he and Seungri paid for prostitutes on the YG company card and Yang Hyun Suk himself has admitted that he's friends with the Madame of one of the brothels. How and why do you think YHS would get so friendly with a Madame if he wasn't using prostitution services on a regular basis???

If you are unaware of just how commonplace prostitution is in Korean business, I highly recommend you watching this documentary by Vice Asia:


They start talking about the sex industry at 11:47
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
No one is saying it's okay.
I'm just saying it's empty and hypocritical to boycott only YG when most, if not all companies do it.
Prostituting to investors, pleasure groups, sponsoring: these are all things that have been exposed in the industry since over a decade ago. It's an open secret and has been for years.
The only reason YG is being dragged into this is because he was well disliked by the media compared to other Big 3 groups and even then Naver tried to shield him. Imagine thinking that even more powerful companies with death grips on the media are going to get exposed or high-up Korean businessmen, politician and media companies like SBS, MNET etc are going to get taken down.
They aren't.

If you truly were horrified by all this, you wouldn't be Stanning kpop.
Yes but just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean that YG can just be let off the hook. All of this info might've been public knowledge for over a decade but I would argue that this is one of the most blatant cases we've seen since Jeon Ja Yeon in 2009. We as international kpop fans might not have a lot of power to stop these practices from happening but I personally feel a responsibility to protest even in my own small way when such injustices are being so obviously waved around in my face.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Well, let me be the first you see! I'm not buying or consuming ANY YG content until SERIOUS changes are made internally, I believe 100% in the prostitution and rape allegations that have been made and although I respect all of your choices to not boycott YG if you don't want to I think it's really ignorant of you @MonCherry and @Poetry to write off these allegations so flippantly. Yoo In Suk has already admitted that he and Seungri paid for prostitutes on the YG company card and Yang Hyun Suk himself has admitted that he's friends with the Madame of one of the brothels. How and why do you think YHS would get so friendly with a Madame if he wasn't using prostitution services on a regular basis???

If you are unaware of just how commonplace prostitution is in Korean business, I highly recommend you watching this documentary by Vice Asia:


They start talking about the sex industry at 11:47
and that's your decision and I respect it, at least your actually doing it and not just saying it to get clout online.
the only reason why im not boycotting is because i feel bad for the artists under it who are innocent.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Well, let me be the first you see! I'm not buying or consuming ANY YG content until SERIOUS changes are made internally, I believe 100% in the prostitution and rape allegations that have been made and although I respect all of your choices to not boycott YG if you don't want to I think it's really ignorant of you @MonCherry and @Poetry to write off these allegations so flippantly. Yoo In Suk has already admitted that he and Seungri paid for prostitutes on the YG company card and Yang Hyun Suk himself has admitted that he's friends with the Madame of one of the brothels. How and why do you think YHS would get so friendly with a Madame if he wasn't using prostitution services on a regular basis???

If you are unaware of just how commonplace prostitution is in Korean business, I highly recommend you watching this documentary by Vice Asia:


They start talking about the sex industry at 11:47
Yes but just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean that YG can just be let off the hook. All of this info might've been public knowledge for over a decade but I would argue that this is one of the most blatant cases we've seen since Jeon Ja Yeon in 2009. We as international kpop fans might not have a lot of power to stop these practices from happening but I personally feel a responsibility to protest even in my own small way when such injustices are being so obviously waved around in my face.
Im well aware of how serious the allegations and how bad the sex industry is. Never said I didn't nor did I write off the allegations

You did not understand my point at all

If you're so bothered by this, boycott all of kpop since all the entertainment companies facilitate this behavior.
Boycott YG, boycott Big 3, boycott Produce, boycott everyone
Don't just boycott the one that got caught.
Bringing down YG does nothing to change the rest of the industry
 
Last edited:
Joined
25 April 2019
Messages
6,439
Reactions Received
3,087
Location
Temple of the Cult of Yoshinori
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,833
Well, let me be the first you see! I'm not buying or consuming ANY YG content until SERIOUS changes are made internally, I believe 100% in the prostitution and rape allegations that have been made and although I respect all of your choices to not boycott YG if you don't want to I think it's really ignorant of you @MonCherry and @Poetry to write off these allegations so flippantly. Yoo In Suk has already admitted that he and Seungri paid for prostitutes on the YG company card and Yang Hyun Suk himself has admitted that he's friends with the Madame of one of the brothels. How and why do you think YHS would get so friendly with a Madame if he wasn't using prostitution services on a regular basis???

If you are unaware of just how commonplace prostitution is in Korean business, I highly recommend you watching this documentary by Vice Asia:


They start talking about the sex industry at 11:47
I have already seen this video.

I'm sorry if I come off as flippant. Someone irl once told me I was the most cynical person they have ever met.

I'm not sure if you think I don't believe the allegations. (I do believe the allegations.) I just think that it is so commonplace that if someone boycotts YG for including sex trafficking in business transactions, they should probably boycott a lot of other businesses as well. I feel that the problem is deep-rooted and the system is corrupt.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread