📚📖BOOK SUGGESTION THREAD📖📚 (4 Viewers)

Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
If you like fantasy, amazing characters and plot, you will like it. There's a love triangle but not the annoying type. Aslo Elias is everything I need in a male protagonist:maheart:
Noted :pandahappy: I need to get around to reading it
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
'Henry Denton has spent years being periodically abducted by aliens. Then the aliens give him an ultimatum: The world will end in 144 days, and all Henry has to do to stop it is push a big red button.'

Sounds perfect. I'll read it as soon as possible.
 
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
3,382
Reactions Received
14,883
Location
Sun
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
20
Ship
'Henry Denton has spent years being periodically abducted by aliens. Then the aliens give him an ultimatum: The world will end in 144 days, and all Henry has to do to stop it is push a big red button.'

Sounds perfect. I'll read it as soon as possible.
YES YES YES YES
HENRY :pepecry1::pepeheart::pepecry1::pepeheart::pepecry1:
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
The Miniaturist- Jessie Burton

Pretty different from what I usually like to read, but I enjoyed it :) The beginning is a bit slow but once you hit the 100 page mark or so it gets really good :pandahappy:
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
You!!! Should!!! Read!!! Airborn!!! By!!! Kenneth!!! Oppel!!!
Cons: severely lacking in the hot guy department
Pros: good story!!!! Such a good story!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: username1
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
The Healer by C.J Anaya
Decently hot guys! Good plot! Bearable female lead (a rarity)! Doesn’t do a quality nosedive after the first book!
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Anyone know any good books that are set in a fantasy like world but don’t have magic (is there a name for that?) i love books like that but I can never find any since idk what to look for
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Anyone know any good books that are set in a fantasy like world but don’t have magic (is there a name for that?) i love books like that but I can never find any since idk what to look for
Hmmm well there is one I adore and there is alchemy in it but it's not the main focus as the focus is it being an alternate universe.

The first book is called Ink & Bone by Rachel Caine. Also The Winner's Curse. It's low fantasy so there really isn't any magic to it but the story feels oddly magical. Also Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard has abilities but no magic per say same with Renegades by Marissa Meyer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jimimis
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Hmmm well there is one I adore and there is alchemy in it but it's not the main focus as the focus is it being an alternate universe.

The first book is called Ink & Bone by Rachel Caine. Also The Winner's Curse. It's low fantasy so there really isn't any magic to it but the story feels oddly magical. Also Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard has abilities but no magic per say same with Renegades by Marissa Meyer.
:bigcatclap:The Winner’s Curse sounds pretty good I’ll check it out :pandahappy: thx
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Gullstruck Island-Frances Hardinge
Oh my GOD :pepecry2: this book hit me so hard!!!!! I’ve read two other books by this author (The Lie Tree + A Face Like Glass, also recommend!!!!) but this one is by far my favorite:bigcatcry: the world is so insanely creative and I can’t express my awe enough!!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,190
Reactions Received
52,519
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,747
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
A book I did love a lot was clive barker's Mister B Gone.
It had a simple story but it was excellently written and the atmospheric tension of
good vs evil is unforgettable. I highly reccomend it to anyone that likes horror novels, the like of stephen king.

Also the great and secret show.
 
  • Like
Reactions: username1
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,174
Reactions Received
53,016
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
175,082
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
I've been trying to read Neuromancer, because it's the "original cyberpunk novel," and I want to get into that genre, but the writing seems so... sloppy? Has anyone read Neuromancer, and is it worth forging ahead with it?
I've read Neuromancer, Count Zero n Mona Lisa Overdrive, first trilogy (Sprawl) by William Gibson. [im a big science fiction book fan] Also read Virtual Light, Idoru n All Tomorrow's Parties(Bridge Trilogy.) Then Pattern Recognition ,Spook Country and Zero History(Blue Ant Trilogy, my favorite is in this trilogy-until the following .)

Most recently The Peripheral (not cyberpunk but kinda evolved from cyberpunk; in a sense), start of probably a new trilogy-Agency is out in 2020, related to the Peripheral.
I'd suggest reading The Peripheral as I really like it. It's much less sloppy writing than Neuromancer; imo the ideas in it (Neuromancer hv been overtaken by the Internet n cell phones, but I hvnt read it in maybe 15/20 yrs.)

I suggest Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash as a different cyberpunk novel to read. It's cyberpunk-ish but written later it's closer to a recognizable vision of wat we know of the net n computers(if I remember right). It's version of cyberspace probably influenced real-world computer tech stuff as lots of people read it n it influenced them. (I think Neuromancer inspired science fiction writers but Snow Crash influenced n inspired real life computer tech guys, as far as I read about.) Or you can read both (if you do this you don't have to read Count Zero n Mona Lisa Overdrive unless you really want to; it's not really a continuation I think [I don't remember] but a look at the other characters n the wider world) and see what you think.
 
  • Love
Reactions: username1
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,174
Reactions Received
53,016
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
175,082
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
Thank you for such a thorough and informative answer :nekolove:

Do the Sprawl, Bridge, and Blue Ant trilogies have anything to do with each other? I did hear the Sprawl Trilogy is only loosely connected, like you said, so I doubt they do, but just in case.

I think I'll read Snow Crash first, actually. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and the premise is just so silly, yet makes so much sense (and that's kind of terrifying to think about XD). I'll also be to sure to look into The Peripheral c: And would you recommend the Blue Ant Trilogy as well?
I'd suggest maybe The Difference Engine, actually: its separate from all his trilogies n written with Bruce Sterling. It's an alternate history, I don't remember everything; going by synopsis-concerns a real invention in our history called The Difference Engine, which was not fully built at that time. Can't remember much else about the story but its complete by itself, so you might try find a more complete description n read it if it interests you.

The Sprawl, Bridge n Blue Ant trilogies: the Sprawl n Bridge r kinda obsolete in a way cos of internet n cell phones kinda but might still be interesting. I do like the Blue Ant trio but mostly the second book Spook Country.

You could go backwards if you like each book this way-Peripheral, then go to Blue Ant 1,2,3. If you like that, go Sprawl1,2,3 or Bridge1,2,3 or reverse Bridge1,2,3 then Sprawl1,2,3.
I read them all but not remember much n not gonna read them again rn, or soon. I'm going to read the Agency cos I liked the Peripheral a lot.

Or if you read Snow Crash, you could read (a)Diamond Age; (b)Cryptonomicon; (c1)Quicksilver; (c2) Confusion; (c3)System of the World. (d)Anathem; (e) Reamde (f) Seveneves ; (g) Fall; or Dodge in Hell.
These are mostly separate except (c) has events abt 300 years earlier than (b) set in the same continuity. All the others seem separate including Snow Crash n Diamond Age.

You could skip Anathem n Seveneves unless you read a description n like the description. People complain those are overlong or other things but you might like them. I haven't read Fall cos it just came out this year n I hvnt bought it. I really like Reamde n you could read it without reading any other of his books. thats my memory of those two authors cyberpunk related science fiction, mostly they've moved away from it later.

And science fiction n fantasy books r my interest since I was a kid, so....but not all fantasy cos there's too many new now i hvnt read. Same with more recent science fiction after I started working n had less time, also newer books aren't to my taste as much.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Opinions on The Perks of Being a Wallflower? My book club is gonna read it needa see if it’s worth my time
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow and mysteric

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread