Do y'all think SM was waiting for Twice to pass their peak? (1 Viewer)

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
True but I have to say that I think Twice still have potential to have another huge hit, it's just a question of whether or not JYP will give it to them...
Wow really? I actually thought the opposite of that. I think JYP is trying to change up their concept to more mature girls and the public has shown their clear dissatisfaction of that and have either moved on or are simply not liking the music even after giving them a chance. Their latest release barely managed to reach top 15 (unless they did it while I was asleep) even though they're the top gg in the country and a household name now. I guess if they give them another public friendly song and promote it VERY well (like CU level well), it might be possible but it's not something I personally expect from them any more.
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Wow really? I actually thought the opposite of that. I think JYP is trying to change up their concept to more mature girls and the public has shown their clear dissatisfaction of that and have either moved on or are simply not liking the music even after giving them a chance. Their latest release barely managed to reach top 15 (unless they did it while I was asleep) even though they're the top gg in the country and a household name now. I guess if they give them another public friendly song and promote it VERY well (like CU level well), it might be possible but it's not something I personally expect from them any more.
I feel like when you have a name like Twice, there is always the possibility of having a big hit, it's just whether your company knows how to capture and activate your old fan base like Wonder Girls with Why So Lonely. They managed to make a really catchy song that fit their age and maturity and it resonated with the public. I know this would be a total left turn for Twice but I actually think a sentimental, mid-tempo song could do really well for them! I think Twice's brand is kind of built on them being encouraging and uplifting and now I feel like they just need to figure out how to do that in a more mature, non-cutesy way. Like Feel Special but less dance-y.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I honestly agree with that
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I honestly agree with that
Yep not sure whether this aespa concept will help them get the next national girl group but I definitely think the fight for Queen of 4th Gen is about to begin!
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Yep not sure whether this aespa concept will help them get the next national girl group but I definitely think the fight for Queen of 4th Gen is about to begin!
I mean... Itzy and Idle are doing extremely well. Everglow has a lot of hype top. Wouldn’t suprise me if the cuter gg‘s would struggle and that a different type of gg would be preferred
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
they would have to get past the wall that is bp currently. but getting past twice would be a big step.

I still think twice is not a group to be played with when it comes to their fandom, it's pretty big, the only other group surpassing them is bp. and with this new avatar concept, there's really no guarantee that aespa will appeal to the gp. I still think twice could bounce back if they just took a break for like a year and promoted other projects. in my opinion one of the biggest reasons why they're not doing as well as their past comebacks is because of the oversaturation. they're still releasing too frequently for actual hype to ever build up. if they took a break and focused on solo projects they could slowly build their way back up. and it's not like they're flopping either, idk we'll see as time goes by!
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I mean... Itzy and Idle are doing extremely well. Everglow has a lot of hype top. Wouldn’t suprise me if the cuter gg‘s would struggle and that a different type of gg would be preferred
1) I think ITZY had a really strong debut but they haven't necessarily kept it up at the same level.
2) I think (G)I-DLE although there one of my faves still has a lot of room to grow in Korea.
3) Everglow are only really popular internationally, Koreans don't really care about them because they're from Yuehwa and Chinese don't like them because the members are Korean...
4) I think the cuter girl groups like Weeekly just need a song that resonates with the GP and they are set!
5) As far as easpa goes, SM groups are always slow burners so it'll take time to tell but I don't think SM are interested in gaining public support anymore.
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
they would have to get past the wall that is bp currently. but getting past twice would be a big step.

I still think twice is not a group to be played with when it comes to their fandom, it's pretty big, the only other group surpassing them is bp. and with this new avatar concept, there's really no guarantee that aespa will appeal to the gp. I still think twice could bounce back if they just took a break for like a year and promoted other projects. in my opinion one of the biggest reasons why they're not doing as well as their past comebacks is because of the oversaturation. they're still releasing too frequently for actual hype to ever build up. if they took a break and focused on solo projects they could slowly build their way back up. and it's not like they're flopping either, idk we'll see as time goes by!
I 100% agree with this! They need to start letting the girls act + give Chaeyoung and Jihyo solos!
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I could see that being true. Even if Twice isn't going to have a downward trend just yet their contracts are approaching the end date and we've seen in the past that group members will start moving on after.
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I could see that being true. Even if Twice isn't going to have a downward trend just yet their contracts are approaching the end date and we've seen in the past that group members will start moving on after.
I feel like if JYP doesn't slow down group promotions them some of them might now renew out of pure exhaustion to be honest... Twice seem like super sweet girls, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them just want to take the money they've earned so far and settle down like Sunye from the Wonder Girls did.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I feel like if JYP doesn't slow down group promotions them some of them might now renew out of pure exhaustion to be honest... Twice seem like super sweet girls, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them just want to take the money they've earned so far and settle down like Sunye from the Wonder Girls did.
True, I could see a few members doing that. Not just the non-stop promotion but the lack of solo stuff stuff. Unlike other groups I can't name solo activities the members have had off the top of my head. I know that could be prioritizing group activities but for their future career and success they'd need to branch out from that so I can see members leaving to pursue solo stuff.

Honestly, it'll be interesting to see what they do when their contract ends
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,579
Reactions Received
6,439
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Lets be real twice is past there peak...

1. jyp allowing members go on leaves
[yes for mental health but let be real they wouldnt be so willing if they were still going up]

2. they aint getting any new fans
if you know kpop you already stan or dont stan twice

3. they doing more mature not so catchy songs
they are more and more xD leaning away from the super catchy songs and going for the more mature concepts

4. itzy...
new groups are always debuting after a gg peak or near the end of a peak
[for bg it after peak or before military]
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Lets be real twice is past there peak...

1. jyp allowing members go on leaves
[yes for mental health but let be real they wouldnt be so willing if they were still going up]

2. they aint getting any new fans
if you know kpop you already stan or dont stan twice

3. they doing more mature not so catchy songs
they are more and more xD leaning away from the super catchy songs and going for the more mature concepts

4. itzy...
new groups are always debuting after a gg peak or near the end of a peak
[for bg it after peak or before military]
Yeah, I don't know why the titles aren't as catchy as they used to be... you can still be mature and have a fucking bop of a song!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow and yeji

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Reviving old thread because I just saw this lol.

In some ways, yes, a lot of agencies were waiting for the current dominating group, which has been Twice for the last few years, to slow down and not be as trendy anymore so they can come in and fill the void. It's why I still believe a gg with a more traditional/fresh image would've worked best for SM. Instead they doubled down on LSM's futuristic vision and gave us Aespa, which tbh will take some time to grow on the Korean gp and just doesn't seem like a concept that would get them that NGG title. They'll still be successful but with this concept, even going past Itzy would be difficult.

I honestly don't think YG and BHNGG will really dominate either although they can be top players.

For the foreseeable future, it's the Blackpink era.

Twice has achieved everything under the sun and their lifetime sales will probably not be touched by anyone. It's time to build a brand around the individual members instead of relying only on OT9. The fans are ready for solo/subunit stuff, and it also gives the members time to rest. The amount of Japanese content alone they've released this year is insane, it's something new every month and now Better dropped right after Eyes Wide Open, Onces literally can't keep up and sales have gone down.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Reviving old thread because I just saw this lol.

In some ways, yes, a lot of agencies were waiting for the current dominating group, which has been Twice for the last few years, to slow down and not be as trendy anymore so they can come in and fill the void. It's why I still believe a gg with a more traditional/fresh image would've worked best for SM. Instead they doubled down on LSM's futuristic vision and gave us Aespa, which tbh will take some time to grow on the Korean gp and just doesn't seem like a concept that would get them that NGG title. They'll still be successful but with this concept, even going past Itzy would be difficult.

I honestly don't think YG and BHNGG will really dominate either although they can be top players.

For the foreseeable future, it's the Blackpink era.

Twice has achieved everything under the sun and their lifetime sales will probably not be touched by anyone. It's time to build a brand around the individual members instead of relying only on OT9. The fans are ready for solo/subunit stuff, and it also gives the members time to rest. The amount of Japanese content alone they've released this year is insane, it's something new every month and now Better dropped right after Eyes Wide Open, Onces literally can't keep up and sales have gone down.
certainly agree with this.

JYP should start forming the solo careers of the girls and slow down with the japanese comebacks. Now’s the time to get some solo hype for the girls and once’s really are screaming for that at this point
 
Joined
16 June 2019
Messages
61,590
Reactions Received
105,389
Location
Schweiz 🇨🇭
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,010
Fandom
Buddy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/her 💗💛💙
Ship
Wreck
certainly agree with this.

JYP should start forming the solo careers of the girls and slow down with the japanese comebacks. Now’s the time to get some solo hype for the girls and once’s really are screaming for that at this point
I only stan the Japanese releases lol
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
certainly agree with this.

JYP should start forming the solo careers of the girls and slow down with the japanese comebacks. Now’s the time to get some solo hype for the girls and once’s really are screaming for that at this point
Especially now that they have NiziU, it just makes sense for them to slow down the Twice content is Japan and put all of their energy on building up their rookies!
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Willow

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Especially now that they have NiziU, it just makes sense for them to slow down the Twice content is Japan and put all of their energy on building up their rookies!
exactly.... just promote and build up your rookies jyp
 
  • Like
Reactions: JakeyWantsCakey

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
exactly.... just promote and build up your rookies jyp
Exactly! I feel like it's been ages since they gave boy story a comeback and NiziU is doing super well but they haven't even officially debuted yet so it's best not to get too cocky about it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Exactly! I feel like it's been ages since they gave boy story a comeback and NiziU is doing super well but they haven't even officially debuted yet so it's best not to get too cocky about it.
I seriously think the focus needs to be shifted
 
  • Like
Reactions: JakeyWantsCakey

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread