COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

I figured out why I struggle with guy groups (1 Viewer)

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
inspirit
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
So I always figured the main reason I struggle with the current generation
is because they all basically have the same concept and sound
and a majority of the time I can't differentiate the groups at all.
Because none of them except like ATEEZ and possibly TXT have their own sounds.

But after trying to keep up with new releases I had the same issues I normally have.
Most of the songs got confused in my head because they sounded the same.
They had the same sound and the same vocals and all of that
but I realized a majority of the time with guy groups:
I can't tell if I like the song or not.

Like there will be a slightly catchy part that MAYBE catches me
but then the rest of the song is just ok
has the same beat drop.
And at the end of the song, I'm left wondering if I liked the song or not.

Am I the only one?

Obviously, this isn't EVERY song but a majority of the time.
I've just been consuming ONEUS, Golden Child, VICTON, and uh...OH MCND.
I think there was another guy group too and basically, I left the albums wondering if I liked a song or not.

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
💡 Lightbulb
Ship
it's a good reason tbh
honestly i feel like a ton of groups in general have similar sounds, there have been so many times where ive heard a song from one group and said "this sounds like a song that ___ would sing"

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
inspirit
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
it's a good reason tbh
honestly i feel like a ton of groups in general have similar sounds, there have been so many times where ive heard a song from one group and said "this sounds like a song that ___ would sing"
I can agree with this to an extent. But for me it's to the point that I hear a song and think ah this sounds familiar and then I can't even name the group I heard the other song from because they all melt together.
:yolk:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
This is my problem with the 3.5 and 4th Gen in general but especially the males. They all are very similar in sound and concept.

Ironically I can’t really get into TXT because I didn’t like the initial concept and now with the switch up I feel like they don’t really have a musical identity they just perform whatever concept is decided on.

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
inspirit
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
This is my problem with the 3.5 and 4th Gen in general but especially the males. They all are very similar in sound and concept.

Ironically I can’t really get into TXT because I didn’t like the initial concept and now with the switch up I feel like they don’t really have a musical identity they just perform whatever concept is decided on.
I think TXT is starting to find their sound a bit more? It's still kind of what they started out with but it sounds a bit more mature. But the maturation of the sound might've been too soon?

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I also prefer the way companies market ggs over bgs.

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
How do you mean?
I'm not actually sure exactly what I mean. Something about the way GGs are potrayed hits different. I think a lot of time performance is included. GGs stages are also simpler and more aesthetic looking, and the music videos are usually a lot prettier than BG mv's imo. The colors are typically brighter as well. I also hate how a lot of BGs have members that are supposed to be "chic" but end up being bored and rude. Not to say this doesn't happen with girl idols as well, but a lot of BGs are really bad at variety.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I'm not actually sure exactly what I mean. Something about the way GGs are potrayed hits different. I think a lot of time performance is included. GGs stages are also simpler and more aesthetic looking, and the music videos are usually a lot prettier than BG mv's imo. The colors are typically brighter as well. I also hate how a lot of BGs have members that are supposed to be "chic" but end up being bored and rude. Not to say this doesn't happen with girl idols as well, but a lot of BGs are really bad at variety.
I would say BG almost always sell 'cool' in some form while the girls' sell more than that.

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I would say BG almost always sell 'cool' in some form while the girls' sell more than that.
To be fair a lot of GGs only try to be "cute" which is pretty boring as well. There are exceptions ofc.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
To be fair a lot of GGs only try to be "cute" which is pretty boring as well. There are exceptions ofc.
See i go the other way i dislike almost all the gg who sell cool also. I think for me is most times they are all rich prep school kids that lack any authenticity.
At least the cute girls are cute :)

kinnie

eep.
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
That’s how I feel with bg and gg. So many rookie groups popping out of the womb with the same concepts and music. A good reason to have trust issues.
:wimwim:

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
Tbh for me I have this problem with txt.... every time I hear a song from them I just can't shake the feeling that it's a BTS song.....

ngl I feel like this has been a problem in the past as well, just by now the groups with their own sound have emerged and been solidified in our memories and the ones without it have been more or less forgotten.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I think TXT is starting to find their sound a bit more? It's still kind of what they started out with but it sounds a bit more mature. But the maturation of the sound might've been too soon?
I feel like BH went with the aegyo concept because it’s safe and the opposite of BTS. I think it switched because aegyo was never a style BH was ever into and maybe the guys didn’t like it either. But this underlined by issue, the musical formation for me is too reliant on the concept instead of the having an identity of its own.

For example I just listened to all of Ateez’s title tracks, God, those guys are great! And no matter the concept or lyrical content it’s the Ateez style in music and delivery.

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
inspirit
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
I feel like BH went with the safe aegyo concept which was also the opposite of BTS. I think they switched because I don’t think BH producing team ever liked aegyo and maybe the guys don’t either. But this underlined by issue, the musical formation for me is too reliant on the concept instead of the having an identity of its own.
For example I just listened to all of Ateez’s title tracks, God, those guys are great! And no matter the concept or lyrical content it’s the Ateez style in music and delivery.
tbf the leader of Ateez has literally written a bout a hundred something songs for the group that haven't even been released yet their situation is different and I think that is the main reason they are able to stand out is because they have that creative freedom tbh. I don't know for this generation I feel like the lighter concepts for guy groups are few and far between when most of them are doing very grungy emo moody and bruting songs and concepts.

TXT at least diverge from that same with AB6IX who I just fell in love with and ATEEZ.

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
inspirit
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Tbh for me I have this problem with txt.... every time I hear a song from them I just can't shake the feeling that it's a BTS song.....

ngl I feel like this has been a problem in the past as well, just by now the groups with their own sound have emerged and been solidified in our memories and the ones without it have been more or less forgotten.
It may just be the companies style tbh.

I think TXT is coming into their own sound that they are a bit more comfortable with. Given what I've seen I can't picture them doing the darker concepts which I think they were experimenting with at some point. They are obviously still trying to find their sound but given that I'm an EX-army who prefers TXT to BTS right now...personally, I think they are doing something right and are going towards their own sound that does differ from BTS who now does super fun party songs or slower meaningful songs.

That's kind of their brand but TXT doesn't really do that? So I guess that's where I'm coming from.

BH has a sound just like JYP, SM, and YG have it's not really a big deal tbh?

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
It may just be the companies style tbh.

I think TXT is coming into their own sound that they are a bit more comfortable with. Given what I've seen I can't picture them doing the darker concepts which I think they were experimenting with at some point. They are obviously still trying to find their sound but given that I'm an EX-army who prefers TXT to BTS right now...personally, I think they are doing something right and are going towards their own sound that does differ from BTS who now does super fun party songs or slower meaningful songs.

That's kind of their brand but TXT doesn't really do that? So I guess that's where I'm coming from.

BH has a sound just like JYP, SM, and YG have it's not really a big deal tbh?
True enough I can't argue that Bighit is developing a sound for themselves, this maybe comes bcs normally a company would debut a GG before another BG, so the gap is a bit bigger y'know and there is more very obvious variety.

BUT TXT most definitely doesn't have a solid sound rn. There is smth developing with Run Away and Can't you see me, but it's still a bit ambiguous. Like compared to the likes of like.... Stray Kids, Ateez, SVT etc who had a very obvious and clear concept from the start even with very few songs. The most you can say about txt is that their sound is Bighit. A company should be able to have a sound, while still being able to distinguish their groups. Nobody would mix up Got7 and SKZ songs, but they are still very much a JYP sound.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Exo L
Ship
I've just been consuming ONEUS, Golden Child, VICTON, and uh...OH MCND.
Honestly, I think the only reason a lot of us are giving Golden Child a chance is because Daeyeol is Sungyeol's younger brother.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread