Would You Have Stanned SNSD If They Had Stayed "Cute" For Longer? (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
Would You Have Stanned SNSD If They Had Stayed "Cute" For Longer?





Hello.

It's your neighborhood Sone and Once. Emanresu. Time for a chat.



In the girl group sphere a common dichotomy and ongoing "war" is the one between "cute" and "mature".

Some love cute and everything it entails, others can't stand it, and others still are more varied and enjoy the transition from one to the other.

The common appeal on many forums is for TWICE to "mature" and their resistance thus far to abandon their cute appeal, got me thinking about SNSD and their own arc within the cute dynamic.

Honestly I feel like some forget that SNSD was very much like TWICE originally.

As a Sone from the very beginning (August 2007), I was there through SNSD's "cute" period.

Truth be told that beginning period is my absolute favorite SNSD period.

It is the period that is most special to me as a Sone. It is the one that I think of when I imagine SNSD in my mind.

And I think, that might be much different than how many other Sones imagine the group or related to them.

Many Sones came later, or solidified their love at a later stage in SNSD's development when their Gee and Oh! era and the like were well in the rearview mirror.

To them, SNSD has always been the more sophisticated iteration. Think The Boys, etc.

So then, my question to Sones and casual fans alike.

Would you have stanned or become a casual fan of SNSD if they had stayed cute for longer?

Would it have affected your love of SNSD?





TWICE is not so different than early SNSD.




Me:

It wouldn't have negatively affected my stanning. If anything it would have made my love even greater, if that's possible. SNSD's "cute" period was my favorite era.
 
Joined
3 March 2019
Messages
507
Reactions Received
1,807
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
If they never changed like Twice then I would have not gotten into them at all. Songs that made me like them are songs like Genie, Mr. Mr, The Boys etc. Only good cutesy song by them I like is Gee bc I mean its iconic. Imo even though they pull off cute concepts i think their other ones suited them a lot more...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Emanresu and yeji
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
1,182
Reactions Received
5,706
Location
SMTOWN
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
i honestly like snsd with any concept. one of the things that really attracted me to them is how well they are at transitioning into one concept to another that it isn’t considered a big deal or unique like for most other groups. twice for example, everyone is making a big deal about how they’re doing a different theme now and such but with snsd it was really unnoticeable. that just shows they were so good at owning whatever concept they did. snsd to me was the perfect balance between cute and girl crush just like how red velvet is with twice and bp now. now they’re doing more mature concepts with ohgg and owning it like they were doing it for years.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Absolutely
It was their cute concept (Gee) that lured me, and so many other Sones in.

In all honesty, their mature/GC concepts are more outliers in Kreleases. Soshi has always has a signature bubblegum pop/girly girl sound to them. Especially in their bsides. Even as their sound matured and SM started letting the girls have more of an opinion, it morphed to a fun "I like to party" sound and feel. Like what Twice is. I could really see Twice pulling off most of the songs on Lion Heart and that was released 8 years in.

It's Girls' Generation.
There has to be a fair amount of girliness in it.

Just so long as every song wasn't like Oh! :welp:
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
59,743
Reactions Received
93,541
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
190,092
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I love cute SNSD alot. RDR-Oh gee were my first 10 min with snsd. sexy but fun
BEEP BEEP, shoot album cuts like Ooh la la love that thing.

If i never saw twice do that dang be a star song i might actually listen to them, but i did they were awful thus they are dead.

Lets be real too snsd did genie less than 2 years in then oh rdr and hoot by year 3. Twice is in year 4 with significantly more comebacks in that time frame than snsd did. They are killing this concept financially, personally i would do it until it stops selling 300k+albums week 1 why change what is not broken.

Its not about 'cute' i just call it high energy fun music.
I am in Kpop for the high energy fun music, the more 'westernized stuff i have little to no use for.
That is why almost all bg music and the majority of gc/rap heavy gg's are complete no go's for me.
 
Last edited:
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,144
Reactions Received
53,000
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
174,123
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
I wasn't even aware of them from 2007 till pre-gee era, so my first awareness was the cute Gee SNSD era n beyond/also looked into their beginnings, ofc.

I believe I started stanning them after they showed a varied concept from cute to run devil run; so if they stick to cute longer, maybe I wouldn't stan them at all. :umwhat:
(Only Started stanning them in mid-2018 long past their early cute stage n only 9 years after I was first aware of them.)

Otoh BP I love them w/out (or bcos they're not) stereotypical cute concept, imo.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Anything the girls do is gold.
What I love about snsd is how versatile everyone in the group is. And that is something that has been there since day1.
And I probably never talk about it but their first album is one of my alltime favorite kpop albums. It‘s just perfection.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VillageIdiot

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread