COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Sensitive It's time Kpop fans stopped spreading rumours from gossip sites (1 Viewer)

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
This includes people here at KS.
There are certain "news" sites whose only point is to post contentious things for clicks and ad revenue.
All you do by engaging with, or reposting their content, is feed into the toxic netizen culture.
When rumours alone can ruin an idol's career, fans need to be more careful.
Too many people tweet, post, or otherwise boost the reach of these toxic and unsubstantiated stories.
If you truly cared about your idols, you wouldn't give the time of day to any site that disparages without proof.
It doesn't matter if it's about an idol you dislike or one you like, you're allowing these people to make money off of bad behaviour.
Maybe today your idol isn't the target, that doesn't mean they're safe from things like this.

For instance, this week's massive onslaught of bullying rumours.
Many of these accusations are against idols in their 20s, meaning these stories are, in some cases, almost 10 years old.
Why does it matter? Why now? Why not when the idol debuted?
Netizens, especially in Korea, are vindictive, jealous, and maliciously target celebrities.
In other cases, rumours have been spread by antis, or fans of other groups to damage the competition.
It's time that Kpop fans of all types come together and put a stop to this.
These stories themselves are a form of cyberbullying.
The truth comes out in the end, it's time we all pledge to hold our tongues without evidence.

Personally, I don't give a damn what an idol did in middle school.
I care about the person they are now, what the people who work with them say.
Where do we draw the line?
When will people understand that giving any sort of platform to places that exist only for their own benefit is a bad idea?
Block these gossip rags, don't bother with them.
No real journalist publishes without at least trying to ascertain the facts.

It's time for all of us to take a good look in the mirror and realize we're part of the problem, but can also be the solution.

Thank you for putting up with my mini rant, you may now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.​

Last edited:
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I agree 100%. I thought at this point in time in 2021, kpop fans had learned something from the past but it seems like we just like to repeat the same cycle all over again. Whenever I see someone taking knetz opinions as a measure of good judgement, I can't help but roll my eyes. The same people who accused and bullied (and still do) Bom into an addict/drug dealer no less...
I could keep going on but the truth is we should not be dragged by baseless claims and judge not only based on words but actions.

Last edited:

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
I agree 100%. I thought at this point in time in 2021, kpop fans had learned something from the past but it seems like we just like to repeat the same cycle all over again. I whenever I see someone taking knetz opinions as a measure of good judgement, I can't help but roll my eyes. The same people who accused and bullied (and still do) Bom into a addict/drug dealer no less...
I could keep going on but the truth is we should not be dragged by baseless claims and judge not only based on words but actions.
Exactly. No one was perfect in middle school, kids are generally awful because they're still developing so all of these accusations don't even make sense. I'd care if this were still an idol's attitude, and if there was proof they were, in fact, still a bully and bad person. I don't see the point in bringing up someone's past to ruin their future unless they did something truly reprehensible. These netizens making claims are just bullies themselves, hiding behind the anonymity and false security the internet provides.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY, Army
This is why the bullying scandals are happening. Because people are going to start burying "gossip posts" once Naver changes the way they calculate trending topics.

Reactions Received
Website
stan-pink-fantasy.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Femalez
This is why the bullying scandals are happening. Because people are going to start burying "gossip posts" once Naver changes the way they calculate trending topics.
why do we need to spread gossip posts? gossip posts make everything worse, you're setting aisha up by posting that article.

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
why do we need to spread gossip posts? gossip posts make everything worse, you're setting aisha up by posting that article.
I think she was just trying to find someone to talk to about it honestly? I really don't see it as setting anyone up.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY, Army
A bullying accusation isn't a gossip post. A gossip post is something like a blind item saying that "Lisa and Jungkook are dating" or that "there is a scandalous SM couple." That's a gossip post because it makes people talk about an idol for no reason and no, kpop fans shouldn't be spreading them. These things are serious, so if fans want to talk about it and express their concerns, let them.

Stop saying that fans are "setting up their idols" by just posting something due to shock. That's not "setting up an idol," especially when the replies aren't even negative.

I could have "set up Aisha" by making a clickbait title and then completely dragging her in the post, but I didn't because I care about her and I was just confused as to why she was the next idol that got an allegation because Everglow isn't even popular in Korea. That's it.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY, Army
I think she was just trying to find someone to talk to about it honestly? I really don't see it as setting anyone up.
Exactly! I was just confused so I posted it without thinking or reading this thread. I'm sorry if that made me do something that was wrong.

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Exactly! I was just confused so I posted it without thinking or reading this thread. I'm sorry if that made me do something that was wrong.
I wasn't going to say anything but everyone seemed to be against you and I was kinda confused :jisoosmh:

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
Standing ovation. Nothing else to be said, really.
Can you tell I'm tired? Because damn, I am. Day in, day out, scandals and b.s.
People spreading things far and wide before even stopping to consider the possible ramifications.
If we held everyone accountable for the things they did as children, there'd be almost no one left.
Where do we draw the line?

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Unfortunately the entire establishment Hallyu “media” are gossip sites and the other main online Kpop community is Twitter 🙃😅. Even in Korea those most quoted sites are also gossip sites lol.

I’ve thought about how much we should hold people accountable for actions or words they said years ago as minors, like outside the context of Kpop. I tend to agree with you, we can’t witch hunt ppl for mistakes made years ago as kids. We can’t confirm most of these claims and we really don’t know the celebrity in question at all at any point. It’s all chasing a dog’s tail.

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
Unfortunately the entire establishment Hallyu “media” are gossip sites and the other main online Kpop community is Twitter 🙃😅. Even in Korea those most quoted sites are also gossip sites lol.

I’ve thought about how much we should hold people accountable for actions or words they said years ago as minors, like outside the context of Kpop. I tend to agree with you, we can’t witch hunt ppl for mistakes made years ago as kids. We can’t confirm most of these claims and we really don’t know the celebrity in question at all at any point. It’s all chasing a dog’s tail.
The thing is, some sites are far worse than others (if I could name names, I would, but...That goes against the rules here) and I get that there's going to be some sensationalization of all idol news, but there is a choice on whether or not to give those places views. I usually get my news from translators on Twitter, because it keeps me from sending any kind of support to the overseas K-media who purposely exaggerate and selectively publish to boost their own numbers and ad revenue.

I truly believe that holding people accountable for non-violent (i.e. did not cause lasting harm) actions from when they were children helps no one. A child's brain is still developing, and peer pressure, home stress, a history of abuse, etc can all influence a child's behaviour more so than that of an adult. Not only that, but once such a long time has passed, it's very likely the person has already learned from their past and changed their behaviour. If they were still bullying, it'd be one thing, but many of these idols have been out of school for many years and have people around them constantly who likely would have spoken up before now. If you're an adult and cruel, it's much harder to hide or keep people quiet. Not only that, but you have to wonder what is fueling these accusers to speak out after so long. I honestly couldn't even tell you the names of most of my school bullies, and some of my schools were very small.

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
i know that bullying is hard to prove, but they're just saying anything at this point which is harmful to those idols who seriously never bullied anyone. if everyone who did messed up things in middle school wasn't allowed to be an idol, half the groups that we have now probably wouldn't exist. i'm not condoning things like underage drinking or smoking, but it's common and no one should have their whole career ruined over something they did when they were literally a child. they should have some room to improve because people usually don't have the same mindset as adults as they had at the age of 13-14. given their history, "news" websites like koreaboo and allkpop shouldn't even have a platform to begin with. like i seriously can't wrap my head around the fact that there are people who think allkpop is reliable in any way after what they did to ailee a few years ago.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
The thing is, some sites are far worse than others (if I could name names, I would, but...That goes against the rules here) and I get that there's going to be some sensationalization of all idol news, but there is a choice on whether or not to give those places views. I usually get my news from translators on Twitter, because it keeps me from sending any kind of support to the overseas K-media who purposely exaggerate and selectively publish to boost their own numbers and ad revenue.

I truly believe that holding people accountable for non-violent (i.e. did not cause lasting harm) actions from when they were children helps no one. A child's brain is still developing, and peer pressure, home stress, a history of abuse, etc can all influence a child's behaviour more so than that of an adult. Not only that, but once such a long time has passed, it's very likely the person has already learned from their past and changed their behaviour. If they were still bullying, it'd be one thing, but many of these idols have been out of school for many years and have people around them constantly who likely would have spoken up before now. If you're an adult and cruel, it's much harder to hide or keep people quiet. Not only that, but you have to wonder what is fueling these accusers to speak out after so long. I honestly couldn't even tell you the names of most of my school bullies, and some of my schools were very small.
Could you tell me the @ of those translators? Honestly the Korean entertainment industry is interesting and it’s a shame at least in English there’s no big names that do seriously journalism on it.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Exactly. No one was perfect in middle school, kids are generally awful because they're still developing so all of these accusations don't even make sense. I'd care if this were still an idol's attitude, and if there was proof they were, in fact, still a bully and bad person. I don't see the point in bringing up someone's past to ruin their future unless they did something truly reprehensible. These netizens making claims are just bullies themselves, hiding behind the anonymity and false security the internet provides.
Ass hole s rarely change.
maybe it takes a decade to go public with any kind of abuse statement from the past.
Who are you to say?

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Not posting or discussing it doesnt make it go away. You are only yielding the discussion space to reddit n twitter or other spaces. The reddit post i read from the korean poster seemed ignorant about bullying outside their own culture n admitted it. If nobody discussed it they(the korean reddit poster) would hv remained ignorant about bullying outside their own culture and kept thinking that bullying in korea schools was the beall and end-all when every culture has bullies in schools and its about how does each culture deal with it.

Most cultures fail at it a lot but here, the idols are the ones getting blamed when the victims speak out and authorities dont investigate or nop it in the bud in school. Im not second guessing the problem of bullies in school but its not as simplistic as not discussing or spreading unfounded rumors. Its already out and being discussed by koreans. There is no easy answer for every person to process the situation. Every one has to decide for themselves wat is their own comfort level of engaging with the situation we find ourselves in.

Im still processing it all. And reading about it is part of my process. Also writing down my thots.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
maybe it takes a decade to go public with any kind of abuse statement from the past.
Who are you to say?
This is also true. The only thing I can say is if idols are still mistreating others as adults I hope what the Stylist and Mina did becomes examples to follow.

I don’t have any problem with adult victims calling out their now famous bullies at all or if those famous ppl suffer consequences for how they treated others in the past.

It’s just the way these middle school bullying scandals come out is usually through anonymous post online with no real evidences or attempt to also contact said person in private for a real conclusion. There too much room for liars, haters, and witch hunts.

Should we kick all the former middle bullies out of the industry with no proof and without them to our knowledge continuing this abusive behavior?

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Weneebebe
Pronouns
Any
Who are you to say?
Nah, bullshit. These are accusations against kids.
These aren't statements of abuse in most cases, just, "Such and such called me ugly" or "such and such drank/smoked/hung out with undesirables" Coming out years after the fact over petty shit like this, anonymously and with no proof isn't constructive, nor does it change things. If you've got this idea in your head that "assholes rarely change" about schoolchildren, I can't imagine how much of a cynical, negative person you must be. In the majority of cases, we're not talking about beating someone down, we're not talking about sexual assault, these are people trying to ruin someone's career years after the fact because they didn't like the way someone acted, which in and of itself is a form of bullying.

I was bullied mercilessly throughout school, but I honestly couldn't tell you the names of 90% of those bullies, because they were kids, and that was life. Was it wrong, sure, but it happens and until the whole world manages to change, there will always be kids taunting other kids. As for what's going on in Korea at the moment, it's incredibly obvious looking at many of these "allegations" that there is no truth to them whatsoever. It's people taking advantage of a movement to make anonymous, unsubstantiated claims in hopes of damaging someone. It's defamation. So far there have been accusations against an idol who was homeschooled, one whose classmates defended him saying he was a kind person, and multiple admissions of lying, backtracking, and deleted posts by the people who made the accusations.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Nah, bullshit. These are accusations against kids.
These aren't statements of abuse in most cases, just, "Such and such called me ugly" or "such and such drank/smoked/hung out with undesirables" Coming out years after the fact over petty shit like this, anonymously and with no proof isn't constructive, nor does it change things. If you've got this idea in your head that "assholes rarely change" about schoolchildren, I can't imagine how much of a cynical, negative person you must be. In the majority of cases, we're not talking about beating someone down, we're not talking about sexual assault, these are people trying to ruin someone's career years after the fact because they didn't like the way someone acted, which in and of itself is a form of bullying.

I was bullied mercilessly throughout school, but I honestly couldn't tell you the names of 90% of those bullies, because they were kids, and that was life. Was it wrong, sure, but it happens and until the whole world manages to change, there will always be kids taunting other kids. As for what's going on in Korea at the moment, it's incredibly obvious looking at many of these "allegations" that there is no truth to them whatsoever. It's people taking advantage of a movement to make anonymous, unsubstantiated claims in hopes of damaging someone. It's defamation. So far there have been accusations against an idol who was homeschooled, one whose classmates defended him saying he was a kind person, and multiple admissions of lying, backtracking, and deleted posts by the people who made the accusations.
See to my point people are ass holes and do not change, some are kids who became idols.
Some are just looking for a day in the sun and to wreck someone's life.

But most idols were rich , pretty , popular or some combo of the 3 a good chunk of those kids in my experience were then and are still now jerks.

Nor do i remember the kids who tormented me and my classmates, because most were just faceless ass hats, yet if that kid was popular or famous being groomed by an agency and every one knew it. That kid would stick in my mind. i tell you what if some famous kid were wandering around rubbing his dick on ppl instead of the wanna be jocks in my classes I would have remember his name. Even just seeing them on tv I might have also said something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread