COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

jae from day6 calls k-pop idols "brainwashed" (1 Viewer)

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her

i get what he's trying to say, but the way he worded it made it seem one of those edgy youtube videos pointing out "dark sides of k-pop" or whatsoever. also i find it a bit weird that he praises jyp in the same video as calling his colleagues brainwashed (and pointing out that he's not like them). what are your thoughts on it? :susPepe:

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Sounds like he's buying into this idea that he's not manufactured because he's in a boy band, he's under JYP so he is just as manufactured as any idols under JYP or any other company

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
there were times when I really liked Jae ... but the more you listen to him, you get the idea that he is this "edgy, hypstery" kind of dude.

Jae if you want to you can always leave.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
yeah this is really cringe worthy

I hate how people say “manufactured” and act like I’m automatically supposed to think that’s a bad aspect of kpop. if kpop was not “manufactured” it would be an active deterrent

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Pronouns
She/Her
I get where he’s coming from, but the way he worded it was too much.

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
there were times when I really liked Jae ... but the more you listen to him, you get the idea that he is this "edgy, hypstery" kind of dude.

exactly like i usually don't care what kpop idols say but these days whenever you hear of jae it's because he's being called out on something. there were many idols who spoke up about their experiences within the industry yet none of them gave the pretentious "just making sure i don't fit in" energy i get from hearing jae say this. if he found himself in the world of streaming then all the best to him but there isn't really a need to drag your past into everything if this is how you're going to do it.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I hope this doesn't become another place to mindlessly hate on Jae, cause I'm pretty over it around kpop twitter and I'm not too happy seeing this here too. This migth come bit harsh on me, but i'm really fed up on how kpop fandom treats him and can't rly wait until he gets out of kpop. Hopefully that gets people off his back and lets fans just chill.

Sad part of this that the podcast episode is titled toxic social media and he even says he appreciates people telling him when sth isn't ok and kpop fans.

I'd recommend watching whole podcast as it's good discussion. He explains more about how he sees the trainee process as being clay doll, first beaten down so kpop label can mould you to what they want and how it was bit traumatic for him.

Overall he has become very jaded over kpop especially this year. Being excluded from the group over sex joke blown out of proportion, getting i-fans trying to twist what he says at every turn claiming he is anti-vax, homophobic, whatever and just not being mentally in good place. He is critical and bitter about kpop, but he has right to be. He has more inside experience than kpop fans or media trying to report on "dark side of kpop". He has lived experience and that shouldn't be silenced as "edgy".

Let's not speak over kpop idols sharing their experiences thanks.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
On his own words: "You’re gonna get what you want, I promise. Just give me time. I can’t just get up and leave. It doesn’t work like that, guys."""

He has contract, he can't just decide to leave.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
On his own words: "You’re gonna get what you want, I promise. Just give me time. I can’t just get up and leave. It doesn’t work like that, guys."""

He has contract, he can't just decide to leave.
you can ALWAYS end a contract ,he is not in prison.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
you can ALWAYS end a contract ,he is not in prison.
No that's not how contracts work in kpop. Most idols have to wait until contract is over before getting out and many have to sue if it's long time before they can. Jae said that he needs to talk with lawyers.

However in Jae's case, he is moving to L.A beginning of next year so it's possibly he either worked sth out with JYPE or he is fully free of contract at that point. And honestly I have been waiting for that ages. I can't wait until he can actually get paid from his music and stream again.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
One phone call from JYP and he'll be on Twitter crying and apologizing.
Again.

Unwashed and u manufactured my ass

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
No that's not how contracts work in kpop. Most idols have to wait until contract is over before getting out and many have to sue if it's long time before they can. Jae said that he needs to talk with lawyers.

However in Jae's case, he is moving to L.A beginning of next year so it's possibly he either worked sth out with JYPE or he is fully free of contract at that point. And honestly I have been waiting for that ages. I can't wait until he can actually get paid from his music and stream again.
I mean good for him. His music is good and all that, it is just that the way he behaves is cringe worthy. He is thirty but is whiney like an 18-year-old. I don´t have a problem with him as a musician, I have a problem with his attitude.

Soogi

radical kyeominist
Reactions Received
Website
kyeomblr.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Fandom
KYEOM CULT
Pronouns
she / her
Ship
I hope this doesn't become another place to mindlessly hate on Jae, cause I'm pretty over it around kpop twitter and I'm not too happy seeing this here too. This migth come bit harsh on me, but i'm really fed up on how kpop fandom treats him and can't rly wait until he gets out of kpop. Hopefully that gets people off his back and lets fans just chill.

Sad part of this that the podcast episode is titled toxic social media and he even says he appreciates people telling him when sth isn't ok and kpop fans.

I'd recommend watching whole podcast as it's good discussion. He explains more about how he sees the trainee process as being clay doll, first beaten down so kpop label can mould you to what they want and how it was bit traumatic for him.

Overall he has become very jaded over kpop especially this year. Being excluded from the group over sex joke blown out of proportion, getting i-fans trying to twist what he says at every turn claiming he is anti-vax, homophobic, whatever and just not being mentally in good place. He is critical and bitter about kpop, but he has right to be. He has more inside experience than kpop fans or media trying to report on "dark side of kpop". He has lived experience and that shouldn't be silenced as "edgy".

the thing is, no one is invalidating his experiences. no one is denying his struggles, it his choice of words and the way he shades fellow idols that doesnt sit well with people. you can explain the problems you have with the industry without throwing your collegues under the bus. "i didnt get to make the music i wanted, i was molded into this version of jae that im not, i felt like a puppet of the industry" etc. thats all fine, kpop stans can sympathize with that. but going on record saying idols are brainwashed and manufactured and implying theyre robotic, cant think for themselves,... is not the move. thats exactly the same terminology edgy dochebags like keemstar use to disparage and mock kpop stans and idols, so i can understand the backlash.

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck

The thing is he isn't the only kpop idol to deal with being shit on, he's not the only one whos had things blown out of proportion, and he's definitely not the only one who has experienced not mentally being in a good place. I'm sure there are more idols than him jaded about the whole kpop thing. If he wants to criticize something go after the companies, not the idols. Criticizing those in the same position as you is never a good look, whether its colleagues who you directly work with or those who are just in the same industry as you.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
the thing is, no one is invalidating his experiences. no one is denying his struggles, it his choice of words and the way he shades fellow idols that doesnt sit well with people. you can explain the problems you have with the industry without throwing your collegues under the bus. "i didnt get to make the music i wanted, i was molded into this version of jae that im not, i felt like a puppet of the industry" etc. thats all fine, kpop stans can sympathize with that. but going on record saying idols are brainwashed and manufactured and implying theyre robotic, cant think for themselves,... is not the move. thats exactly the same terminology edgy dochebags like keemstar use to disparage and mock kpop stans and idols, so i can understand the backlash.
They are though. Calling him edgy, hipstery whatever is talking over his bad experience and comes over as kpop fans feeling superioty complex over idol and telling him what he can talk about his experiences. Doesn't he have right to see things like he does as someone who lived through them? Even if its' not easy to hear or stomach.

He's not really shading anyone his grief is about industry and he is always praising other idols. People just took it that way.

I'm sorry if it hurts kpop stan feeligns, but there is reason why many see kpop industry that way. Cause it does have these issues.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
The thing is he isn't the only kpop idol to deal with being shit on, he's not the only one whos had things blown out of proportion, and he's definitely not the only one who has experienced not mentally being in a good place. I'm sure there are more idols than him jaded about the whole kpop thing. If he wants to criticize something go after the companies, not the idols. Criticizing those in the same position as you is never a good look, whether its colleagues who you directly work with or those who are just in the same industry as you.
He didn't really criticize idols he criticized system, especially the training period and remoulding someones personality by first beating it down. At most he feels bad for idols in that position and feels relief of getting out of the system (very soonish).

Juniverse

Local Backstabber ♡
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Deobi
Wreck
I like Jae but what I don't get, is how he's always saying shit like this but bro you're in a band? Technically an idol but still very very far off from like, Stray Kids or Got7 or 2PM. Be grateful for the freedom you get.

I really dislike how pretentious he sounds. If I listened to him say it without watching the video, I'd expect him to be holding a craft beer and sporting a tiny douche beard. "soul-searching" what does that even mean...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread